(Noob) Unintended zig-zagging?

Old October 3rd 06, 03:10 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
JusticeZero

Default (Noob) Unintended zig-zagging?

Among various UPD's today I managed three runs of about 60-120 feet or
so.
I noticed that later on those runs, once i'd stabilized from the start,
I was zigzagging in time with pedalling - every time i'd push down the
right pedal i'd turn left, and vice versa. It was about a 30 degree
turn and it was sharp enough that I could hear the tire turning on the
ground (flat cobblestone) each stroke as I neared vertical.
Any comments on what I might be doing and how to fix it? On the longest
run, it was enough to foul my balance at the end because I was having to
work too hard to keep moving.

--
JusticeZero
JusticeZero's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/13539

Old October 3rd 06, 03:29 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
Jerrick

Make sure your weight is on the seat. Too much weight on the pedals will
cause you to turn like you are now.

Also, keep practicing, soon youll get rid of them and be able to ride
straight. Just look at the people riding skinnies. They have to be able
to ride straight. =p

--
Jerrick

~*~!I ride for Christ, Fun, Challenges, and a lot more!~*~
'!Gallery!' (http://tinyurl.com/gf2g9)
'!MRIS!' (http://tinyurl.com/jjjnz)
'Easy Tire Removal Guide.' (http://tinyurl.com/rd9ru)
My sponsor '~!SIXSIXONE!~' (http://sixsixone.com/)

Old October 3rd 06, 03:33 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
harper

Jerrick wrote:
Make sure your weight is on the seat. Too much weight on the pedals will
cause you to turn like you are now.

Jerrick is wise and speaks the truth. When you are learning you tend to
put a lot of weight on the pedals to make a correction to keep from
falling. Try to remember to relax back into the seat after each
correction.

--
harper

-Greg Harper

B L U E S H I F T

This is still my nth post....*AWESOME!!!*

"I'd like to dress up like a baby, lick your toes, and then have a
plate of spaghetti while watching Letterman." - Rafiel Laserbeam

Old October 3rd 06, 04:13 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
uni_jim

Dont pedal in a "vertical" sense, concentrate on moving your feet in
circles at the same speed while you ride. it helps me when riding
ledges...

--
uni_jim

life's too short to ride a bike, just ride half of it!
uni_jim's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/13559

Old October 3rd 06, 12:53 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
JusticeZero

Okay, that helped. Had to imagine nails coming out of the pedals so that
i'd cringe away from standing up onto them. Managed to go about 100-150
feet or so a few times, once out of a free mount.
(For those who seem to collect noob freemount techniques, start with
the pedal verticle, put foot on vertical pedal, put seat into crotch
and clear the boys, then jump forward while stepping down, other foot
will land on other pedal when it's about at the halfway point moving
forward. Good because I can clear before I jump, and when I land i'm
moving forward and not vertical.)

Old October 3rd 06, 02:57 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
monkeyman

JusticeZero wrote:
i'm moving forward and not vertical.)

Were you moving vertical before? Congratulations on the
mounting/riding.

--
monkeyman

Alex, MR addict.

Into the blue wrote:
Now when are you going to change your damn sig?

monkeyman's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/11455

Old October 3rd 06, 03:19 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
JusticeZero

Well.. y'know.. the crank was vertical, and the uni wasn't moving..
well, the wheel wasn't anyways..

Old October 3rd 06, 03:51 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
Chexjc

put seat into crotch and clear the boys

hahahaha

--
Chexjc
Chexjc's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/13511

Old October 3rd 06, 08:18 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
cathwood

uni_jim wrote:
Dont pedal in a "vertical" sense, concentrate on moving your feet in
circles at the same speed while you ride. it helps me when riding
ledges...

For me, I found it very difficult to do this on purpose but it was
something that came with practice and greater skill. I'd say don't
worry, just ride and relax as much as you can.

--
cathwood

Cathy

http://www.chuckingandtwirling.co.uk

Old October 4th 06, 06:21 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
JusticeZero

Well, i'm pretty sure I can go in a straight line now, both down and up
slight inclines, and freemounting is working well (As above, but while
getting on throw hands forward like a breaststroke in swimming to get
balance forward/back), I did a number of runs of about 120 feet or so.

The reason there weren't longer ones though, is because after 120 feet,
in the spot i've been practicing at, I have to turn a corner, two
actually because it's a large jag around a section of lawn with a tree
and a kerb, and that had a tendency to go all to hell. Any suggestions
there?