Electric Bike Opinions Wanted

Old October 29th 03, 01:18 AM
Nehmo Sergheyev

Default Electric Bike Opinions Wanted

Because my truck is, for the moment, impounded I just rediscovered bike
riding. I've been using the buses (many of them have bike racks here in
Kansas City) in combination with a bike to get to work etc. I'm planning
to continue to ride even after I get the truck returned.
I'm now considering an electrical assist. I found this kit: Wilderness
Energy
http://wildernessenergy.com/unibikekit.html , now selling for around
$350. I like it because it seems the front hub is the best place for
the motor.
Unfortunately, I haven't found any usenet mention of it. Has anybody had
any experience with this particular kit, or does anybody have an
opinion?

--
********************
* Nehmo Sergheyev *

Old October 29th 03, 01:46 AM
Pete

On Wed, 29 Oct 2003 01:18:23 GMT, Nehmo Sergheyev
wrote:

Because my truck is, for the moment, impounded I just rediscovered bike
riding. I've been using the buses (many of them have bike racks here in
Kansas City) in combination with a bike to get to work etc. I'm planning
to continue to ride even after I get the truck returned.
I'm now considering an electrical assist. I found this kit: Wilderness
Energy
http://wildernessenergy.com/unibikekit.html , now selling for around
$350. I like it because it seems the front hub is the best place for
the motor.
Unfortunately, I haven't found any usenet mention of it. Has anybody had
any experience with this particular kit, or does anybody have an
opinion?

[ng's trimmed]
What part of riding a regular bike is it that you find
unpleasant/unsuitable/undoable?

Electric assist brings several disadvantages. Weight, handling, having to
recharge, range.

Think of having to lift an extra 30-40 lbs up on that bus bike rack
everyday.

Pete
Old October 29th 03, 02:57 AM
Werehatrack

may have said:

Because my truck is, for the moment, impounded I just rediscovered bike
riding. I've been using the buses (many of them have bike racks here in
Kansas City) in combination with a bike to get to work etc. I'm planning
to continue to ride even after I get the truck returned.
I'm now considering an electrical assist. I found this kit: Wilderness
Energy
http://wildernessenergy.com/unibikekit.html , now selling for around
$350. I like it because it seems the front hub is the best place for
the motor.
Unfortunately, I haven't found any usenet mention of it. Has anybody had
any experience with this particular kit, or does anybody have an
opinion?

I would just have one question for them: How much added drag does the
motor induce in the front wheel when the motor is not being used for
propulsion? Some electric motors have very low unpowered drag, others
don't. Since it's brushless, there's a good chance that this one's
close to negligible, but before spending the money, I would certainly
ask that question.

--
My email address is antispammed;
pull WEEDS if replying via e-mail.

Old October 29th 03, 04:51 AM
Mojo Deluxe

"Nehmo Sergheyev" wrote in message
Because my truck is, for the moment, impounded I just rediscovered bike
riding. I've been using the buses (many of them have bike racks here in
Kansas City) in combination with a bike to get to work etc. I'm planning
to continue to ride even after I get the truck returned.
I'm now considering an electrical assist. I found this kit: Wilderness
Energy
http://wildernessenergy.com/unibikekit.html , now selling for around
$350. I like it because it seems the front hub is the best place for
the motor.
Unfortunately, I haven't found any usenet mention of it. Has anybody had
any experience with this particular kit, or does anybody have an
opinion?

oops

My question is why?

Old October 29th 03, 05:01 AM
P e t e F a g e r l i n

wrote:

[...]

What is wrong with your legs?

Old October 29th 03, 06:28 AM
Nehmo Sergheyev

- Nehmo -
[...]

- P e t e F a g e r l i n -
What is wrong with your legs?

- Nehmo -
It would be more relaxing at times to not peddle. You don't agree?

--
********************
* Nehmo Sergheyev *

Old October 29th 03, 07:24 AM
Per Löwdin

Unfortunately, I haven't found any usenet mention of it. Has anybody had
any experience with this particular kit, or does anybody have an
opinion?

Are there not usenot groups for motorized vehicles? Ask me and I would say
those darned things should be completely bannished except for on roads.

Per
http://lowdin.nu

Old October 29th 03, 07:52 AM
Zoot Katz

Wed, 29 Oct 2003 00:28:08 -0600,
, "Nehmo Sergheyev"
wrote:

- Nehmo -
It would be more relaxing at times to not peddle. You don't agree?

Peddling is off topic for this group. Check rec.bicycles.marketplace

Be thankful your truck's impounded. It's a blessing in disguise. It
could be a lifesaver. Embrace it. Ride more. Enjoy your vitality.

Electric bikes are for disabled persons. They're heavy and awkward for
multi-modal commuting.
--
zk

my new bike Marian Rosenberg General 5 October 19th 03 03:00 PM
Should I get an electric bike? Help! The Real Lee Casey General 9 August 30th 03 09:48 AM
Ego-2 electric bike faster than car in city commuting race Electric Bike & Scooter Guide General 0 August 9th 03 01:44 AM