Important trek question

Old January 15th 04, 05:46 AM
James Carr

Default Important trek question

Am I losing my mind? A year ago I saw a trek that was white with lime
green letters that said "antelope 800" on upper horizontal bar between
the gooseneck and the seatpost. Am I mistaken? Is there a such thing
as an antelope 800? Does anyone know where I can find the history of
the "antelope" trek model? Please help im going crazy over this..
Thank you for your time.
Old January 15th 04, 01:53 PM
Martino

You were probably seeing a Trek that was painted under Trek's Project
One program, whereby Trek purchasers can get a custom paint job from the
factory for a few hundred dollars. That's my guess.

Old January 15th 04, 01:53 PM
bikeolounger

There WAS a model of mountain bike in the early 1990s that carried the
moniker Antelope. It was the 800, Trek's most basic mountain bike (single-
wall rims, least expensive "shop grade" components, heavy steel frame,
etc.). Not exactly a collectible, unless one considers the Schwinn
Varsity collectible (I don't).

bikeolounger

Old January 15th 04, 01:53 PM
Martino

Good point. I thought Mr. Carr was talking about a road bike. My roadi
bias is now exposed for all to see.

Old January 15th 04, 05:53 PM
octagon

I think there was actually a period when trek called all of its 80
series bikes "antelope," including 820 840 etc. probably so the les
arythmetically gifted could identify them from others such as the mor
exotic (and nameless) aluminium 8000 bikes. a bit like cheap volkswagen
seem to be called "biarritz" and "fun" etc

as for the colour scheme, that has to be a matter of rather bad taste
and one to be avoided

-

Old January 15th 04, 11:30 PM
Mike Jacoubowsky/Chain Reaction Bicycles

Am I losing my mind? A year ago I saw a trek that was white with lime
green letters that said "antelope 800" on upper horizontal bar between
the gooseneck and the seatpost. Am I mistaken? Is there a such thing
as an antelope 800? Does anyone know where I can find the history of
the "antelope" trek model? Please help im going crazy over this..
Thank you for your time.

Already answered in rec.bicycles.tech. In general, if a post needs to be in
multiple newsgroups, it's best to post to both at the same time. The
"Newsgroups" heading in your email would read, in this case-

rec.bicycles.misc;rec.bicycles.tech

That way the replies will be posted simultaneously to both newsgroups. The
advantage in doing so is that the answer will appear in both at the same
time, which should generally shorten the duration of the thread (unless it's
about helmets).

--Mike--
Chain Reaction Bicycles
www.ChainReaction.com

Old January 16th 04, 03:13 PM
James Carr

"Mike Jacoubowsky/Chain Reaction Bicycles" wrote in message m...
[...]

Good point. Im new to google and it didnt dawn on me to do that. Next
time I will. And thank you for your time everyone I appreciate it..
--Mike--
Chain Reaction Bicycles
www.ChainReaction.com

Cracked Trek frame and warranty question Kevin General 3 November 30th 03 04:35 PM
Which frame is built better, new or 20 year old Trek 520? Michael General 4 September 16th 03 03:21 AM
Question: Cassette Sizing Michael General 6 August 6th 03 01:48 PM
LeMond v. Trek Bob M General 14 July 19th 03 06:42 PM
Info on 1986 Trek 620 Mark Traphagen General 2 July 12th 03 02:59 AM