Gear Cable Replacement Problem

Old February 4th 04, 06:32 PM
McBain_v1

Default Gear Cable Replacement Problem

I want to replace the gear cables in my Shimano 600 STI shifters

The problem is that one of them - the one for the rear derailleur - ha
become jammed

What seems to have happened is that the small metal plug on the end o
the cable has come out of the bracket inside the shifter, and has go
wedged inside

I've shifted down to the small cog position using the small inner leve
and this has aligned the bracket inside the brake mech with the smal
hole in the casing through which you are supposed to insert the ne
cable. However, all I can see is the old cable stretched across th
bracket - no sign of the pesky plug

What should / can I do? Should I cut the cable at this point, pull ou
what I can and hope that the residual bit with the plug on rattles ou
eventually? Is the whole lever a right off now? Will squirting oil i
there help me yank it back out

Help please :confused

-