Replacement of MTB crankset (BB) with road crankset (BB)?!

Old July 14th 04, 01:44 PM
Qui si parla Campagnolo

Default Replacement of MTB crankset (BB) with road crankset (BB)?!

leon- May I replace a MTB crankset Shimano FC-M750 (XT) and a MTB BB Shimano
BB-UN73 (XT) 68-110 with a road triple crankset Shimano FC-5503 (105)
and a road BB Shimano BB-5500 (105) 68-118.5?
BRBR

Sure as long as the frameset BB shell is 68mm. BUT if ya keep the front
der(MTB) that probably wouldn't work. A road triple front der with MTB
shifters, unless top mounts, probably won't work either.

Peter Chisholm
Vecchio's Bicicletteria
1833 Pearl St.
Boulder, CO, 80302
(303)440-3535
http://www.vecchios.com

Old July 14th 04, 02:24 PM
Sheldon Brown

Leon wrote:

May I replace a MTB crankset Shimano FC-M750 (XT) and a MTB BB Shimano
BB-UN73 (XT) 68-110 with a road triple crankset Shimano FC-5503 (105)
and a road BB Shimano BB-5500 (105) 68-118.5?

It will depend on the design of your frame. With most mountain bikes,=20
the chainstays are liable to be too wide, too far forward to provide=20
adequate clearance for the larger chainrings.

In addition, you will run into complications with shifting. "MTB" front =

derailers are generally designed to work best with smaller chainrings,=20
and won't work as well with the larger "road" rings.

Shimano does offer a special front derailer, model R443, for this=20
application. The R443 is designed to match "road" chainrings, but with=20
indexing travel that matches "MTB" shift controls.

Sheldon "Libert=E9, =C9galit=E9, Fraternit=E9" Brown
| Ask the travelled inhabitant of any nation |
| "In what country on earth would you rather |
| live?" |
| "Certainly in my own, where are all my |
| friends, my relations, and the earliest |
| recollections of my life." |
| "Which would be your second choice?" |
| "FRANCE !!" --Jefferson 1821 |
Phone 617-244-9772 FAX 617-244-1041
http://harriscyclery.com
Hard-to-find parts shipped Worldwide

Old July 14th 04, 04:21 PM
Leon

On Wed, 14 Jul 2004 09:24:11 -0400, Sheldon Brown
wrote:

Leon wrote:

May I replace a MTB crankset Shimano FC-M750 (XT) and a MTB BB Shimano
BB-UN73 (XT) 68-110 with a road triple crankset Shimano FC-5503 (105)
and a road BB Shimano BB-5500 (105) 68-118.5?

It will depend on the design of your frame. With most mountain bikes,
the chainstays are liable to be too wide, too far forward to provide
adequate clearance for the larger chainrings.

In addition, you will run into complications with shifting. "MTB" front
derailers are generally designed to work best with smaller chainrings,
and won't work as well with the larger "road" rings.

Shimano does offer a special front derailer, model R443, for this
application. The R443 is designed to match "road" chainrings, but with
indexing travel that matches "MTB" shift controls.

Sheldon "Liberté, Égalité, Fraternité" Brown
| Ask the travelled inhabitant of any nation |
| "In what country on earth would you rather |
| live?" |
| "Certainly in my own, where are all my |
| friends, my relations, and the earliest |
| recollections of my life." |
| "Which would be your second choice?" |
| "FRANCE !!" --Jefferson 1821 |
Phone 617-244-9772 FAX 617-244-1041
http://harriscyclery.com
Hard-to-find parts shipped Worldwide

Thank you,

That is not a MTB that is a hybrid with 48-36-26 chainset. So, the
replacement may work?

Regards,
Leon