Mini Pump

Old May 10th 21, 01:14 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Mark cleary

Default Mini Pump

What is the consensus on the best mini pump that gets to at least 75-80 psi without being a gorilla? I do research and Topek Mini Morph seems the best.. I don't want a full frame pump but open to options and opinions. I just know those pint size little deals generally don't cut it. My current no name Envo of whatever gets me to about 62 psi but huge work and no flexible hose.
Deacon Mark
Old May 10th 21, 01:22 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
James[_8_]

On 10/5/21 10:14 am, Mark cleary wrote:
What is the consensus on the best mini pump that gets to at least
75-80 psi without being a gorilla? I do research and Topek Mini Morph
seems the best. I don't want a full frame pump but open to options
and opinions. I just know those pint size little deals generally
don't cut it. My current no name Envo of whatever gets me to about 62
psi but huge work and no flexible hose. Deacon Mark

My recommendation is a Lezyne Road Drive pump. Nicely machined
aluminium and with a flexible hose. The smaller diameter road pumps are
good for at least 100psi, if not 120psi. The larger diameter pumps are
better for larger volume and lower pressure tyres. There is a range to
choose from, from Lezyne.

The *only* issue I have had was when I hadn't used the pump for a while
and after its previous use with sweaty hands, the aluminium end on the
flexible hose had corroded to the pump body. I make sure it is
basically clean and dab a little grease on the thread now.

--
JS
Old May 10th 21, 01:25 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
James[_8_]

On 10/5/21 10:22 am, James wrote:
On 10/5/21 10:14 am, Mark cleary wrote:
What is the consensus on the best mini pump that gets to at least
75-80 psi without being a gorilla? I do research and Topek Mini Morph
seems the best. I don't want a full frame pump but open to options
and opinions. I just know those pint size little deals generally
don't cut it. My current no name Envo of whatever gets me to about 62
psi but huge work and no flexible hose. Deacon Mark

My recommendation is a Lezyne Road Drive pump.Â* Nicely machined
aluminium and with a flexible hose.Â* The smaller diameter road pumps are
good for at least 100psi, if not 120psi.Â* The larger diameter pumps are
better for larger volume and lower pressure tyres.Â* There is a range to
choose from, from Lezyne.

The *only* issue I have had was when I hadn't used the pump for a while
and after its previous use with sweaty hands, the aluminium end on the
flexible hose had corroded to the pump body.Â* I make sure it is
basically clean and dab a little grease on the thread now.

Demo: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5gIbQvESoZk

--
JS
Old May 10th 21, 02:02 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi

On 5/9/2021 7:25 PM, James wrote:
On 10/5/21 10:22 am, James wrote:
[...]

Similar features on the somewhat larger Topeak Road Morph
which has a foot peg & flip out T-handle for operation as
painless as flat-tire-on-the road can be. Has a gauge as well.

There is a spectrum of features, materials, weight, size
and price. Avoid the lower end of it if you can.

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/

Old May 10th 21, 02:50 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_4_]

On 5/9/2021 9:02 PM, AMuzi wrote:
On 5/9/2021 7:25 PM, James wrote:
On 10/5/21 10:22 am, James wrote:
On 10/5/21 10:14 am, Mark cleary wrote:
What is the consensus on the best mini pump that gets to
at least
75-80 psi without being a gorilla? I do research and
Topek Mini Morph
seems the best. I don't want a full frame pump but open
to options
and opinions. I just know those pint size little deals
generally
don't cut it. My current no name Envo of whatever gets me
to about 62
psi but huge work and no flexible hose. Deacon Mark

My recommendation is a Lezyne Road Drive pump.ÂÂ* Nicely
machined aluminium and with a flexible hose.ÂÂ* The smaller
diameter road pumps are good for at least 100psi, if not
120psi.ÂÂ* The larger diameter pumps are better for larger
volume and lower pressure tyres.ÂÂ* There is a range to
choose from, from Lezyne.

The *only* issue I have had was when I hadn't used the
pump for a while and after its previous use with sweaty
hands, the aluminium end on the flexible hose had corroded
to the pump body.ÂÂ* I make sure it is basically clean and
dab a little grease on the thread now.

Demo: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5gIbQvESoZk

Similar features on the somewhat larger Topeak Road Morph which has a
foot peg & flip out T-handle for operation as painless as
flat-tire-on-the road can be. Has a gauge as well.

There isÂ* a spectrum of features, materials, weight, size and price.
Avoid the lower end of it if you can.

It might be handy to see a chart of "pump strokes to 100 psi" for
various brands and models, starting from an empty tube.

--
- Frank Krygowski
Old May 10th 21, 06:45 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
James[_8_]

On 10/5/21 11:50 am, Frank Krygowski wrote:

It might be handy to see a chart of "pump strokes to 100 psi" for
various brands and models, starting from an empty tube.

Don't forget effort (force) to achieve said pressure.

Diameter and length affects volume / stroke.

Diameter also affects force @ pressure.

To minimize force and strokes, opt for smaller diameter and longer barrel.

However - is it still a "mini pump" with a long barrel?

I've got a Lezyne road drive pump for my road bike with up to 25mm tyres
@ 100psi, and a higher volume Lezyne pump for my gravel bike that has
42mm tyres @ 50psi.

100psi is easily achievable for the road bike, but I wouldn't want to
use the larger diameter & volume gravel bike pump to reach 100psi,
though it might take fewer strokes.

--
JS
Old May 10th 21, 09:45 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Lou Holtman[_5_]

Op maandag 10 mei 2021 om 07:45:24 UTC+2 schreef James:
On 10/5/21 11:50 am, Frank Krygowski wrote:

It might be handy to see a chart of "pump strokes to 100 psi" for
various brands and models, starting from an empty tube.

Don't forget effort (force) to achieve said pressure.

Diameter and length affects volume / stroke.

Diameter also affects force @ pressure.

To minimize force and strokes, opt for smaller diameter and longer barrel.

However - is it still a "mini pump" with a long barrel?

I've got a Lezyne road drive pump for my road bike with up to 25mm tyres
@ 100psi, and a higher volume Lezyne pump for my gravel bike that has
42mm tyres @ 50psi.

100psi is easily achievable for the road bike, but I wouldn't want to
use the larger diameter & volume gravel bike pump to reach 100psi,
though it might take fewer strokes.

--
JS

100 psi easily achieved with a minipump? I don't believe that. Did you ever checked that?

Lou
Old May 10th 21, 11:27 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Roger Merriman[_4_]

Lou Holtman wrote:
[...]

I have a Topeak Race Rocket on my Gravel and MTB, fine getting to those
pressures but further up starts to get tedious, not difficult but slow! Ie
beyond 50psi or so doable but slower etc.

I have a frame pump think it’s Topeaks Morph on the commute bike, which is
also the pump I take abroad in the bike box etc type holidays, which is
quite capable but then it’s frame pump ish sized.

Roger Merriman
Old May 10th 21, 11:54 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Wolfgang Strobl[_4_]

Am Mon, 10 May 2021 01:45:06 -0700 (PDT) schrieb Lou Holtman
:

[...]

I don't either. My minipump does about 5.5 bar ~ 80 psi. This takes
quite some time and leaves me somewhat exhausted. Tried this recently,
after a similar discussion in the German language bicycling newsgroup.

https://www.mystrobl.de/Plone/radfahren/technik/komponenten/taschen/DSC_3462.jpeg
5.5 bar is enough for me on that bike, for getting home.
--
Wir danken für die Beachtung aller Sicherheitsbestimmungen
Old May 10th 21, 12:11 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Steve Weeks

On Sunday, May 9, 2021 at 8:03:07 PM UTC-5, AMuzi wrote:
This:
Similar features on the somewhat larger Topeak Road Morph
which has a foot peg & flip out T-handle for operation as
painless as flat-tire-on-the road can be. Has a gauge as well.

I've gotten up to 110 PSI without killing myself. Usually on other peoples' tires!

Also good advice:
There is a spectrum of features, materials, weight, size
and price. Avoid the lower end of it if you can.

mini mini pump recommendation needed Simon Lewis Techniques 31 March 27th 10 08:19 AM
Mini pump Paul UK 15 April 3rd 06 11:38 PM
mini tire pump terrybigwheel Unicycling 4 February 3rd 06 02:28 AM
Mini-pump to go Paul D UK 17 January 23rd 05 02:07 PM
Mini Pump Jiyang Chen General 12 August 16th 03 12:12 AM