Speedplay VS. Dura Ace????

Old October 14th 03, 05:55 PM
Ryan Bates

Default Speedplay VS. Dura Ace????

Looking for opinions on speedplay versus Shimano dura ace pedals. i'm
about a 1:00 40k bike rider for triathlon (5'11, 160lbs)with a cadence
of about 90rpm, and want to know which to buy. speedplay is lighter
and has more float, but seems like a lot of pros are going the dura
ace route. why would you pick dura ace over the lighter speedplays???
(let's pretend price doesn't matter). thanks!
Old October 14th 03, 06:03 PM

why would you pick dura ace over the lighter speedplays???

What if Shimano paid you to use theirs?

(remove clothes to reply)
Old October 14th 03, 07:13 PM
GS

Speedplays:
More float
Lighter
Two-sided entry
Many consider it to be among the easiest pedals for entry and exit

Dura-Ace:
Bigger platform

" why would you pick dura ace over the lighter speedplays???"
-a few grams is inconsequential compared to the other factors. Some
people feel they really need to have a large platform pedal, thereby ruling
out the Speedplays.
As far as what the pros ride, they mostly ride what their sponsors tell them
to ride. Often the best products out there aren't those that the pros are
using.
If I were you I'd ignore the weight difference and focus on the other
aspects.
Check out RoadBikeReview.com for more opinions on the different pedals.

Check out the Coombe pedals for another alternative that may have even more
advantages to both.

m...

Old October 14th 03, 07:45 PM
John Rees

"GS" wrote in message =
| Speedplays:
| More float
| Lighter
| Two-sided entry
| Many consider it to be among the easiest pedals for entry and exit
|=20
| Dura-Ace:
| Bigger platform
|=20
| " why would you pick dura ace over the lighter speedplays???"
| -a few grams is inconsequential compared to the other factors. =
Some
| people feel they really need to have a large platform pedal, thereby =
ruling
| out the Speedplays.
| As far as what the pros ride, they mostly ride what their sponsors =
tell them
| to ride. Often the best products out there aren't those that the pros =
are
| using.
| If I were you I'd ignore the weight difference and focus on the other
| aspects.
| Check out RoadBikeReview.com for more opinions on the different =
pedals.
|=20
| Check out the Coombe pedals for another alternative that may have even =
more
| advantages to both.
|=20
| "Ryan Bates" wrote in message
| m...
| Looking for opinions on speedplay versus Shimano dura ace pedals. =
i'm
| about a 1:00 40k bike rider for triathlon (5'11, 160lbs)with a =
cadence
| of about 90rpm, and want to know which to buy. speedplay is lighter
| and has more float, but seems like a lot of pros are going the dura
| ace route. why would you pick dura ace over the lighter =
speedplays???
| (let's pretend price doesn't matter). thanks!

Also, I find the DuraAce cleats more walkable than Look or SpeedPlay. =
The new Shimano SPD-L cleats have small outriggers that provide better =
ground contact.

If you will be having to walk more than a few feet in your cleated =
shoes, this may also be a factor in your decision.
JohnRees

Old October 14th 03, 10:20 PM
Mike Lana

I do not recomend speedplay for those with limeted riding experience.
I trained about 60-100 miles per week four 4 years before I switched
to speedplays. I started gaining some bad habits because the float
allowed me to rotate my heel in. I had a major knee injury that ended
the season. Of course I was the one with the bad form but the pedals
allowed the range of movement . Since then I have stuck with Time(my
favorite but expensive) and Look pedals. They force me to have better
form. I have not had an injury since.
Good Luck
Mike

Old October 14th 03, 11:07 PM
Roy

They are both good systems. Regarding weight when you factor in the
complete weight of the pedal and cleate the DA is not much heavier.
Something like 10-20 grams difference than the X1 (Speedplay Ti). The
adjustable float Speedplays some people have had problems with the
adjustment, myself included.

The dual entry of Speedplay is nice, but if you don't plan on getting
in an out all the the time it should not be the deciding factor.

I currently use X1 or X2 on all our bikes.

One thing that you may want to consider is that the Speedplay system
uses many more parts. The cleating system with it's 7 screews, 2
springs, 2 plates (shoe and outer). Last year we were on a race tour
though Europe and on of the guys with us lost a screw. He did not see
it and ended up bending the outter plate that covers the rear sping.
Needless to say we could not find one in Italy and did not have time
to go to every bike shop in Milan. He ended up buying new pedals.
Moral if you travel anywhere with these bring spare parts or use a
pedal that is more international in case of failure.

My 2 cents
Old October 14th 03, 11:33 PM
John Forrest Tomlinson

On 14 Oct 2003 15:07:39 -0700, (Roy) wrote:

Last year we were on a race tour

What is a "race tour"?

JT
NB: reply-to address is munged

Visit
http://www.jt10000.com
Old October 15th 03, 12:04 AM
Mack Mad

"Mike Lana" wrote in message
om...
I do not recomend speedplay for those with limeted riding experience.
I trained about 60-100 miles per week four 4 years before I switched
to speedplays. I started gaining some bad habits because the float
allowed me to rotate my heel in. I had a major knee injury that ended
the season. Of course I was the one with the bad form but the pedals
allowed the range of movement . Since then I have stuck with Time(my
favorite but expensive) and Look pedals. They force me to have better
form. I have not had an injury since.
Good Luck
Mike

(Ryan Bates) wrote in message

om...
Looking for opinions on speedplay versus Shimano dura ace pedals. i'm
about a 1:00 40k bike rider for triathlon (5'11, 160lbs)with a cadence
of about 90rpm, and want to know which to buy. speedplay is lighter
and has more float, but seems like a lot of pros are going the dura
ace route. why would you pick dura ace over the lighter speedplays???
(let's pretend price doesn't matter). thanks!

Is it just me or does this argument make no sense? More float isn't going to
cause knee injuries - that is one of the reasons Look pedals went to the Red
Arc cleat and the float. If you are locked in a bad position and can't
rotate injuries would appear due to the improper setup. Seems to me the
float would prevent this.

I would have to know more to even begin to believe that Speedplay's would
cause injury.

Old October 15th 03, 12:13 AM
John Hardt

On 10/14/03 5:20 PM, in article, "Mike Lana" wrote:

I do not recomend speedplay for those with limeted riding experience.
I trained about 60-100 miles per week four 4 years before I switched
to speedplays. I started gaining some bad habits because the float
allowed me to rotate my heel in. I had a major knee injury that ended
the season. Of course I was the one with the bad form but the pedals
allowed the range of movement . Since then I have stuck with Time(my
favorite but expensive) and Look pedals. They force me to have better
form. I have not had an injury since.
Good Luck
Mike

Huh? I'm not an orthopedist but I can tell you that I started riding using
speedplay pedals without any problems at all. After two years I switched to
(no float) SPDs and began experiencing knee pain almost immediately.

The only thing I didn't like about the speedplays was their giant cleat that
made walking (and transitions) ripe for ankle injuries. Now my compromise
is to use the speedplays on long rides and races where the float protects my
knees. I switch to SPDs for sprints where I'm one the bike for less than an
hour and being able to sprint through the transitions matters.

Just my $.02

John

Ultegra v. Dura Ace Raoul Duke Racing 18 April 10th 04 12:43 AM
Ultegra v. Dura Ace Raoul Duke General 5 April 6th 04 05:01 AM
Speedplay pedals and tech support - positive feedback post Callas General 2 September 26th 03 06:09 PM
FS: '04 Dura Ace 10spd Group MikeO Marketplace 2 August 7th 03 12:21 AM
NEW Dura Ace TRIPLE Group <<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<< biciman Marketplace 0 July 2nd 03 04:44 PM