Toe-In: None for V Brakes?

Old January 16th 05, 01:45 AM
(Pete Cresswell)

Default Toe-In: None for V Brakes?

I Googled and found a couple of assertions that toe-in was not needed for V
brakes...but also found several sites describing the need for on same how how to
do it.

?
--
PeteCresswell
Old January 16th 05, 02:04 AM
molteni

In my experience, a little toe-in on v-brake pads is good. I use a
business card cut in two. Hold the v-brake arms together with a heavy
rubber band, loosen the brake pads, carefully insert one half of the
business card between the rear of the pad & rim on each pad, and then
tighten the pads. A little practice and this will take only a couple
minutes (Note - this assumes the pads are correctly positioned).

--
molteni

Old January 16th 05, 02:05 AM
Victor Kan

(Pete Cresswell) wrote:
I Googled and found a couple of assertions that toe-in was not needed for V
brakes...but also found several sites describing the need for on same how how to
do it.

Why not just follow the manufacturer's instructions for your V-brakes or
replacement pads/shoes?

And even if you don't believe what you read, with most V-brake shoes
it's pretty trivial to setup toe-in since they have those hemispheric
washers, so try it both ways and keep what works best for you for
stopping power, modulation and quietness?

For what it's worth, I have a little bit of toe-in on my V-brakes and
they work well and are quiet.

--
I do not accept unsolicited commercial e-mail. Remove NO_UCE for
legitimate replies.
Old January 16th 05, 02:39 AM
(Pete Cresswell)

Per Victor Kan:
Why not just follow the manufacturer's instructions for your V-brakes or
replacement pads/shoes?

No mention of toe-in there.

They're making a lot of noise and I was hoping to minimize the number of
variables. i.e. If the answer to "Toe-in require for v's" was an uniquivocal
"NO", I'd forget about it and move on to other considerations I've read about
like gunk on the rim, gunk on the pads, pad type, weather conditions...

But it sounds like toe-in really is a factor...and nobody's offered any
cautions, so I'll start playing around.
--
PeteCresswell
Old January 16th 05, 03:16 AM

Pete Cresswell writes:

I Googled and found a couple of assertions that toe-in was not
needed for V brakes...but also found several sites describing the
need for on same how how to do it.

http://www.sheldonbrown.com/brandt/brake-squeal.html

Just ride bike. At this time of year, finding a mud puddle ought to
be easy enough, even in southern California.

Jobst Brandt

Old January 16th 05, 03:51 AM
Tom Sherman

Jobst Brandt wrote:

Just ride bike. At this time of year, finding a mud puddle ought to
be easy enough, even in southern California.

For many of us, all the puddles have frozen into ice.

--
Tom Sherman - Near Rock Island

Old January 16th 05, 08:29 AM
Zog The Undeniable

(Pete Cresswell) wrote:

I Googled and found a couple of assertions that toe-in was not needed for V
brakes...but also found several sites describing the need for on same how how to
do it.

They'll toe themselves in with use. If they don't squeal when fitted
"flat" then there's nothing to worry about.
Old January 16th 05, 03:14 PM
Qui si parla Campagnolo

Pete- I Googled and found a couple of assertions that toe-in was not needed
for V
brakes...but also found several sites describing the need for on same how how
do it. BRBR

If your brakes howl like the banshee, toe the things in a wee bit. If they
don't, don't. BUT a wee bit of toe in reduces the amount of brake pad on the
rim, reducing brake effectiveness. No such thing as a free lunch.

Peter Chisholm
Vecchio's Bicicletteria
1833 Pearl St.
Boulder, CO, 80302
(303)440-3535
http://www.vecchios.com

V Brakes. Front/Rear? (Avid Ti) Pizza Man Techniques 2 November 22nd 04 05:46 AM
brakes Peter Cremasco Australia 32 February 27th 04 01:10 AM
Bedford Downhill Mountain Unicycle Brakes Darren Unicycling 27 January 20th 04 03:21 AM
Centerpull brakes Gary Young Techniques 77 November 20th 03 11:49 AM