Help identifying a bike, please. ~1968 or so.

Old April 22nd 04, 03:32 PM
David L. Johnson

Default Help identifying a bike, please. ~1968 or so. -- Just another Ebay plug???

On Thu, 22 Apr 2004 03:19:18 +0000, Mike Kruger wrote:

Apparently, we've been had by a guy plugging his Ebay item.
Isn't this it?
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...sPageName=WDVW

http://tinyurl.com/2mhlr

Even the story matches:

Ah.

So my question to the original poster: Why play so dumb when you already
know what bike it is and have already put it up for auction? And, now that
I'm curious, why did you withdraw it from auction?

That's clear. No one would meet his overly-high starting bid. It ain't
worth that much.

--

David L. Johnson

__o | This is my religion. There is no need for temples; no need for
_`\(,_ | complicated philosophy. Our own brain, our own heart is our
(_)/ (_) | temple. The philosophy is kindness. --The Dalai Lama

Old April 22nd 04, 03:53 PM
Blah

Yep, that was my posting...

I was posting for my mom, who thought it was a Cinelli. When I received
feedback from people browsing the ebay auction that it was not, I revised
then dropped the auction so as to not mislead anyone into buying something
that I found out it was not. So now, I'm trying to find out what it actually
IS. And it won't be reposted for auction, since it seems it's more
worthwhile to hang on to it as a cool old bike than to get fifty or a
hundred dollars for it. shrug For $400, she was going to sell it as she
is moving and getting rid of 20+ years of accumulated 'stuff' in her house.

I still don't' know what it IS, and am not trying to pass one over on you
all. Just honestly hoping someone knew what it was. A separate post says
it's a DiCampli Super Corsa, which is what the sticker says, but the
discussion continues to say that euro manufacturers used to sell bikes to US
shops to be rebranded... (and thanks for that post, it does help settle my
mind) I guess what I'm trying to figure out would be who made the bike, not
who branded it, although that seems much more difficult the more I hear.

Finally, unfortunately for me, I'm not 'playing' dumb. I seriously don't
know much about bikes and am trying to find out as much as possible. Not
just about this bike, but in general.

Dave

news

Old April 22nd 04, 09:18 PM
Rick Onanian

Default Help identifying a bike, please. ~1968 or so.

On Thu, 22 Apr 2004 09:31:07 -0400, Curtis L. Russell
wrote:
On Thu, 22 Apr 2004 08:10:59 -0400, Rick Onanian
wrote:
Is there anybody here who can identify what's special about those
tires?

As someone else mentioned, a couple of very flat tubular tires.

Well, that's no big deal...although it would probably be a good idea
to seek a better bike shop, at least one that is familiar with
modern tubulars and could show him how to mount them.

Evidently since that bike shop didn't carry them, the bike shop people
felt they no longer exist in the world anymore.

Silliness, I say.
--
Rick Onanian
Old April 22nd 04, 09:49 PM
Zoot Katz

Thu, 22 Apr 2004 14:53:27 GMT, H%Qhc.2824$IW1.360814@attbi_s52,
"Blah" concluded:

I guess what I'm trying to figure out would be who made the bike, not
who branded it, although that seems much more difficult the more I hear.

Without contacting your mom's old boyfriend, the shape and cut-outs of
the lugs are the best clues to its possible origins.

Finally, unfortunately for me, I'm not 'playing' dumb. I seriously don't
know much about bikes and am trying to find out as much as possible. Not
just about this bike, but in general.

You can type sheldonbrown.com/ into your browser and find out almost
everything about bicycles, in general and detail.
--
zk

Secure Bike Parking.? M. Barbee General 14 January 6th 04 03:00 AM
my new bike Marian Rosenberg General 5 October 19th 03 03:00 PM
Identifying an older Cannondale road bike Rod General 3 September 16th 03 03:17 AM
Single Speed Cruiser vs. Mountain/All Terrain Bike for Commuting? Luigi de Guzman General 2 August 21st 03 05:02 PM