Kryptonite locks showed up

Old November 11th 04, 03:22 AM
Dan Daniel

Default Kryptonite locks showed up

When Kryptonite first announced its exchange program, I sent an email.
I got back an auto response asking for information. This would have
been within the first 48 hours of their announcement. Nothing more for
a few weeks. I then went to the web site and saw the form there, so I
filled it out.

Three week ago, I got an email with a link to a UPS return label.
Printed it out, packed them up, sent it off.

The locks showed up today. Two new Evolution Minis to replace my old
Minis. I'm not too thrilled about their choice of orange plastic, but
other than that I'm satisfied.

I don't know if my first email got me in line or if it was the web
form. Either way, for the cost of a box and a little packing tape,
Kryptonite made good.

Just thought I'd give people an idea of the time frame.

Old November 11th 04, 04:12 AM
Ben Pfaff

Dan Daniel writes:

Three week ago, I got an email with a link to a UPS return label.
Printed it out, packed them up, sent it off.

The locks showed up today. Two new Evolution Minis to replace my old
Minis. I'm not too thrilled about their choice of orange plastic, but
other than that I'm satisfied.

Shoot. That means I have to wait *another* two weeks for my new
locks to show up. It's a real pain not being able to stop
anywhere between my home and my office because I can't lock up my
bike anymore. Kryptonite really should have arranged for LBS
in-person exchanges. The excuse on their website that it
wouldn't be possible to do accurate exchanges that way is a lousy
one. I don't need exactly the same lock that I sent in, just a
lock that will work.
--
"The only problem with Linux for Dummies is that the advice it
contains will result only in embarrassment and inconvenience if
Old November 11th 04, 05:44 PM
M. Barbee

"Dan Daniel" wrote in message
When Kryptonite first announced its exchange program, I sent an email.
I got back an auto response asking for information. This would have
been within the first 48 hours of their announcement. Nothing more for
a few weeks. I then went to the web site and saw the form there, so I
filled it out.

Three week ago, I got an email with a link to a UPS return label.
Printed it out, packed them up, sent it off.

The locks showed up today. Two new Evolution Minis to replace my old
Minis. I'm not too thrilled about their choice of orange plastic, but
other than that I'm satisfied.

I don't know if my first email got me in line or if it was the web
form. Either way, for the cost of a box and a little packing tape,
Kryptonite made good.

Just thought I'd give people an idea of the time frame.

Thanks for giving that timeline. I was thinking of posting of a message
asking for just this sort of information. I sent the initial email to
Kryptonite on September 22 and replied with the more specific information to
another email on September 25, probably several days after the initial
annoucement. I didn't hear anything for a while and noticed that they had
put up a form on their website in October and was wondering whether my email
had gotten lost in the shuffle or whether I should resubmit using the form.
But I finally received the UPS return label through email two days ago. I
shipped my locks off yesterday. So looks like I'll be waiting about three
weeks to see my replacements.

Old November 11th 04, 06:37 PM
dgk

On Thu, 11 Nov 2004 16:44:23 GMT, "M. Barbee"
wrote:

"Dan Daniel" wrote in message
.. .
[...]

MasterLock has been a bit pricky for me. I bought a rear carrier that
has an integrated ULock
(http://www.masterlockbike.com/master...locknload_plus)
which worked out well for me but needs to have the ULock replaced. I'm
supposed to send them the keys, which leaves me with a fairly useless
carrier since the lock provides much of the strength. They claim a 6 -
8 week replacement period, so I would need to replace the whole thing.
I'm still using that lock as a secondary lock.

I asked if I could buy a replacement and then get credited when I
return the original but no, that is not their policy. So I'm trying to
find a suitable temporary replacement but it needs to fit pretty well.
I think I can get one this weekend and if so then I will do the swap.

Hard drive manufacturers do that for RMAs. You give them a credit card
number, they send you a drive, and then charge you if you don't return
the old one. Seems reasonable.