Take Care

Old April 19th 09, 10:41 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Pete-the -Bike

Default Take Care

I hope this tale will encourage other cyclists to consider how they
will respond if they find themselves in a similar situation to the one
I encountered last week. I was assaulted by a motorist on the B970,
near Aviemore, about 1.7 miles south-west of Inverdruie. I got away
lightly, though badly shaken, with only cuts & bruises. I have
reported the incident to the police. Looking back over what happened,
I have drawn two conclusions:

1. When he passed me (very close) I made what I considered to be a
‘non-offensive’ gesture, but, with hindsight, I can see that I
shouldn’t have made any sort of gesture; as long as you are still
upright there is no point. At best it will achieve nothing; at worst
it could lead to assault, injury, or worse.

2. When he stopped his car, got out, and stood in the middle of the
road, why on earth did I stupidly think I could safely cycle past
him? At that point I should have stopped and waited, ready for a
rapid turn around if approached. If anyone stops and waits for you,
keep your distance (unless you are big, strong, and young or there are
more than one of you!)

Although well aware of this sort of thing happening to others in other
parts of the country, it never crossed my mind that it might happen
here and to me. At my age and with my long cycling experience I
should have known better.
Old April 19th 09, 10:51 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Just zis Guy, you know?[_2_]

On Sun, 19 Apr 2009 14:41:03 -0700 (PDT), Pete-the -Bike
wrote:

I hope this tale will encourage other cyclists to consider how they
will respond if they find themselves in a similar situation to the one
I encountered last week. I was assaulted by a motorist on the B970,
near Aviemore, about 1.7 miles south-west of Inverdruie. I got away
lightly, though badly shaken, with only cuts & bruises. I have
reported the incident to the police.

Gun. petrol, matches, Lighthouse Family.

Guy
--
http://www.chapmancentral.co.uk/urc | http://www.nohelmetlaw.org.uk/

simple, neat and wrong" - HL Mencken

Newsgroup may contain nuts.
Old April 19th 09, 11:22 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
judith smith

wrote:

[...]

What was the gesture?

How much of the road were you taking up?

Did you know he was there and wanted to pass?

Could you have moved over to the left a bit?

(Someone called Anchor Lee will be along shortly to suggest a private
prosecution as the police will most likely take no action - his word
vs yours. Ignore Lees' advice)

--

"Primary position" the middle of a traffic lane. To take the "primary position" : to ride a bike in the middle of the lane in order to obstruct other road vehicles from overtaking.

A term invented by and used by psycholists and not recognised in the Highway Code.

Old April 19th 09, 11:30 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
judith smith

Guy Chapman. Liar, deceiver, know-it-all , ****wit

Old April 19th 09, 11:51 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling

Default Take Care !Troll Warning!

WARNING: The person who posts here under the name 'Judith Smith' is a
known troll, is not a cyclist and has no interest in or knowledge of
cycling. A search of the google groups archive will reveal an
established history of nym-shifting, forgery, obsessive cyberstalking
and attempting to mislead readers by quoting statistics taken out of
context.

Old April 20th 09, 12:04 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling

On 19 Apr, 22:41, Pete-the -Bike wrote:
[...]

No blame attaches to you. The motorist has no excuse for such
behaviour. You had no reason to expect it, and so could not avoid it.
He had the great advantage of knowing what he was going to do. You
will know more next time. But, in all probability, there won't be a
next time. You do have the great advantage, in life, of not being him.
Old April 20th 09, 07:14 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
mileburner

Pete-the -Bike wrote:
[...]

I can't quite understand the mentality of somone who ****es off a cyclist by
putting them in danger, angering them and increasing their adrenaline levels
and then steps out of their cosy little protective cage to have a go at
them.

Old April 20th 09, 10:24 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Budstaff

wrote:

[...]

This information was probably not provided as it has no bearing _whatsoever_
on whether the assuault was 'justified'.

Does anyone care Bill C Racing 6 September 29th 07 03:32 AM
I don't care what anyone says Tsarkon Racing 54 July 18th 06 05:44 AM
BR(x) map for those who care... PiledHigher Australia 10 March 10th 05 03:06 AM
BR(x) map for those who care... flyingdutch Australia 31 March 7th 05 12:30 AM
Why do you care about Crit Pro? kaiser Racing 5 August 30th 04 05:52 PM