Light dawns...

Old October 28th 04, 05:01 PM
SlowRider

Badger_South wrote in message
the nice guys at Performance if they'll install them for me. Would it be
normal to ask they look at the 'float' and stuff and help me get them
adjusted, or is that too much to ask? I figure if my knees start to
complain, or I have some other problem with fit I can always swap out back
to the toeclips. I am a little worried that the piriformis syndrome, which
pulls my left knee out to the side about 10 degrees out of the aero
position (knees in), if I don't concentrate, will torque on my foot/ankle
if clipped in.

I would definitely ask them all the questions you like until you fully
understand the pedals you're buying. I would also recommend having
them adjust them, but you may find more tweaking is required later,
even with plenty of float. I think I spent 5-6 rides getting mine
dialed in. At first I noticed discomfort after ~30 minutes or so
(badly adjusted), but later I didn't notice until I'd been out for an
hour or more (slight tweaks).

Tweaking was straightforward for me (for adjustment guidelines, see
http://www.cptips.com/knee.htm, especially the sections on medial and
lateral knee pain). I had never thought much about which way my toes
pointed before I bought clipless pedals.

At one point during the tweaking phase I had to take a couple of days
off the bike after I *thought* I had them adjusted properly and
neglected to take a screwdriver on a long ride. My left knee told me
in no uncertain terms that I didn't get it right and I spent two days
begging my knee to forgive me.

Once you get them dialed in, though, they are wonderful. I never
realized how much pain I was accustomed to with toe clips digging into
my feet.
Old October 28th 04, 05:07 PM
Badger_South

On Thu, 28 Oct 2004 11:01:20 -0400, "David L. Johnson"
wrote:

On Thu, 28 Oct 2004 05:18:40 -0400, Badger_South wrote:

This wknd I'm gonna drag myself to the LBS to get a pair of clipless
pedals and shoes and at least be able to try it out. I'll bring the bike
and ask the nice guys at Performance if they'll install them for me. Would
it be normal to ask they look at the 'float' and stuff and help me get
them adjusted, or is that too much to ask?

They should get you adjusted properly, but that is not easy to do, and
frankly I'd expect them to not spend as much time on it as you really
should. Be prepared to have to fiddle with the adjustments on your own,
to get it right.

I presume something you can intuit from using them. OK. At least by having
them spend some time I will be able to ask questions and see what they
adjust and tweak, even if one quickly.

Several points:

You will fall. Live with it. You will fall when you roll to a stop,
then remember that you are clipped in a half-second too late, and forget
how to get out. But you won't be moving, so the only injury will be to
your pride.

If you've followed the ng back last year you will see that I have trained
extensively for the 0mph fall over, or what I call an "Arte" (Arte Johnson
tricycle guy Laugh-in) I've fallen 4-6 times like this and mostly just get
muddy or something. (oopsie doo) Usually b/c I'm being silly, although once
on a U-turn in the rain. Didn't slow enough and somehow came to a dead stop
and fell over to my 10 oclock. Nice imprint of my bar ends on my lower
ribs. lol.

Make sure to get the angle adjusted correctly. Most pedals now have some

Angle of...?

float, so it would not seem to be critical, but spd's usually still have
some tension to them that rotates your foot to one spot. Speedplay Frogs
have totally free float, but they take somewhat longer to adjust to. I
love them, but they may or may not be for you. Performance is probably
not going to recommend them, either.

If you do get spd's, make sure to get the angle adjusted correctly. I
hurt my knee once on a tour, and blame it on mis-adjusted cleats.

SPDs. OK. Specifically, how did the injury manifest? Temporary I hope.

Get mountain-bike style cleats and shoes. It is far better to be able to
actually walk in the shoes. Get the stiffest shoe you can find.

Check. I had thought about this, but I really don't walk around off the
bike, mostly b/c I can't walk too well with a hip injury. Though it would
be nice to 'walk' into the house and not tear up the floor bringing thebike
inside. ;-)

Although my foot feels stable with the toe clips, and I've never had to
yank a foot out I am kind of tired of the imprecision. Is it a problem
mounting? Do you just clip in the left and do a cowboy mount, then clip in
the right?

Thanks a bunch!

-B

Old October 28th 04, 06:34 PM
B i l l S o r n s o n

Roger Zoul wrote:

I thought I could just clip out one feet and lean on that foot. That
was after 4 miles. Then, after about 20 miles, the same damn thing
happened again and I had been careful to fully clip out both feet.

{snip}

When I unclip, I unclip both feet. Period.

Not to be critical, Roger, but you really shouldn't have to do that.
Unclipping one foot and putting it down when stopped is what 99.9% of riders
do.

Are you falling because your free foot SLIPS on the pavement (or trail)? Or
are you simply losing balance? (Saddle way too high, maybe?) Sounds like
something's going on that you could work on to correct.

Bill "unclipping both feet sounds MORE unstable (at least to me)" S.

Old October 28th 04, 06:53 PM
Roger Zoul

B i l l S o r n s o n wrote:
|| Roger Zoul wrote:
||| I thought I could just clip out one feet and lean on that foot. That
||| was after 4 miles. Then, after about 20 miles, the same damn thing
||| happened again and I had been careful to fully clip out both feet.
|| {snip}
||| When I unclip, I unclip both feet. Period.
|| Not to be critical, Roger, but you really shouldn't have to do that.
|| Unclipping one foot and putting it down when stopped is what 99.9%
|| of riders do.

I don't mine some attention at all, if it has to do with riding technique.

The first time I fell, I clipped out only one foot. I twas probably due to
the features of the road and my inexperience that resulted in my fall.
Someone here suggested to me the business about clipping out both feet, so I
do that as a matter of routine.

How can you know what 99.9% of riders do?

|| Are you falling because your free foot SLIPS on the pavement (or
|| trail)? Or are you simply losing balance? (Saddle way too high,
|| maybe?) Sounds like something's going on that you could work on to
|| correct.

I've only fallen 4 times, and 3 of those were on my first major ride while
clipless (as described above). I don't think I have a problem falling. I
have not slipped or lost balance. My 4 falls have mostly had to do with
thinking I'm clipped out while I'm really clipped in. More about not really
knowing where my foot is relative to the peddle.

At intersections I usually start up with both feet clipped out and riding on
the SPDs. I clip in asap, though

|| Bill "unclipping both feet sounds MORE unstable (at least to me)" S.

Hmm....

Old October 28th 04, 07:04 PM
B i l l S o r n s o n

Roger Zoul wrote:
B i l l S o r n s o n wrote:
Roger Zoul wrote:

[...]

I'm a pollster

Are you falling because your free foot SLIPS on the pavement (or
trail)? Or are you simply losing balance? (Saddle way too high,
maybe?) Sounds like something's going on that you could work on to
correct.

I've only fallen 4 times, and 3 of those were on my first major ride
while clipless (as described above). I don't think I have a problem
falling. I have not slipped or lost balance. My 4 falls have mostly
had to do with thinking I'm clipped out while I'm really clipped in.
More about not really knowing where my foot is relative to the peddle.

At intersections I usually start up with both feet clipped out and
riding on the SPDs. I clip in asap, though

Bill "unclipping both feet sounds MORE unstable (at least to me)" S.

Hmm....

I'm late for a massage (tough life), so I'll leave it at that. If what
you're doing is working, then don't fix it.

Bill "never mind" S.

Old October 28th 04, 07:32 PM
Badger_South

On Thu, 28 Oct 2004 11:53:31 -0400, "Roger Zoul"
wrote:

I suggest that you start on the trainer, or if no trainer, in an
|| empty parking lot or somewhere similar. Once you know how to clip in
|| and out, then you can begin to ride.

I did all of this. I spent two hours at teh LBS on the trainer...I left
when the starting making grumbling noises But the cute bike shop girl
probably doesn't suspect that I was just trying to be in her presense (well,
that too).

I'm -so- glad you chirped in here, b/c I don't know if I'd have thought of
that, getting on the trainer at the LBS and making sure the shoes were snug
and the cleats adjusted, and that my knee wouldn't be hurting. Don't think
they'll let me go 2 hours....you're kidding right? Either that or you're
exceptionally charming. Anyway, Brilliant!

When I called Performance they seemed puzzled at first, but then said 'sure
you could ride on the trainer'. They had a bunch of bikes on trainers set
up in front anyway. I asked if I could bring my bike in and if they would
swap 'em out for me as part of the package with my current pedals. I'll
have to get a pedal wrench anyway, incase something starts acting up and I
need to temp. switch back to toeclips, and also see how they get the pedals
off. I know it's simple.

I'm going in today. Yeehaw.

-B

Old October 28th 04, 07:44 PM
Roger Zoul

Badger_South wrote:
|| On Thu, 28 Oct 2004 11:53:31 -0400, "Roger Zoul"
|| wrote:
||| I suggest that you start on the trainer, or if no trainer, in an
||| I did all of this. I spent two hours at teh LBS on the trainer...I
||| left when the starting making grumbling noises But the cute
||| bike shop girl probably doesn't suspect that I was just trying to
||| be in her presense (well, that too).
|| I'm -so- glad you chirped in here, b/c I don't know if I'd have
|| thought of that, getting on the trainer at the LBS and making sure
|| the shoes were snug and the cleats adjusted, and that my knee
|| wouldn't be hurting. Don't think they'll let me go 2 hours....you're
|| kidding right? Either that or you're exceptionally charming.
|| Anyway, Brilliant!

No, I'm not kidding Being nice, smiling a lot, and spending money all
seem to work. Honestly, I really wanted to ask the girl out, but since she's
10 years younger than I, I chickened out Maybe next year.

|| When I called Performance they seemed puzzled at first, but then
|| said 'sure you could ride on the trainer'. They had a bunch of bikes
|| on trainers set
|| up in front anyway. I asked if I could bring my bike in and if they
|| would swap 'em out for me as part of the package with my current
|| pedals. I'll
|| have to get a pedal wrench anyway, incase something starts acting up
|| and I need to temp. switch back to toeclips, and also see how they
|| get the pedals off. I know it's simple.

I'm not sure why they were puzzled, but who knows. Probably just the
employee you spoke with.

|| I'm going in today. Yeehaw.

Good deal. Practicing while riding on the grass ain't a bad idea, either.

Old October 28th 04, 08:16 PM
David L. Johnson

On Thu, 28 Oct 2004 12:07:48 -0400, Badger_South wrote:

Make sure to get the angle adjusted correctly. Most pedals now have some

Angle of...?

Angle of rotation of your foot. This is an individual thing, but you want
your foot's position to be as natural as possible. If your pedals is
putting pressure on your foot to rotate it away from where it naturally
is, that is bad. Look at the soles of the shoes you usually wear riding,
they should have a ridge where your current pedal hits. That is a strong
clue for how to angle the new cleats.

Fore-and-aft adjustment is also important, but for me this has always
been easier to get right. One nice thing about the Frogs is that the
angle is not critical, and your foot gets to be positioned as it wants to
be. But they also provide no support for that part of the foot position,
and you have to learn to keep your foot oriented properly on your own.
One bit of your description of your riding indicated that this may not be
good for you. Some people want/need to have the angle of the foot secured
by the pedal. If that is your feeling, get 0 or minimal float.

SPDs. OK. Specifically, how did the injury manifest? Temporary I hope.

It was diagnosed as an over-use injury. I went in complaining of knee
pain that appeared after about 30 miles. Most of the nurses/doctors
laughed at me, thinking that 30 miles was almost unimaginable. I finally
found one who got it. He recommended the switch of pedals, along with a
few weeks off the bike, and I've been fine since.

Get mountain-bike style cleats and shoes. It is far better to be able
to actually walk in the shoes. Get the stiffest shoe you can find.

Check. I had thought about this, but I really don't walk around off the
bike, mostly b/c I can't walk too well with a hip injury.

It'd be even worse with road style cleats, which force anyone to walk like
a duck. Slips and falls are also a problem with road shoes/cleats.

Although my foot feels stable with the toe clips, and I've never had to
yank a foot out I am kind of tired of the imprecision. Is it a problem
mounting? Do you just clip in the left and do a cowboy mount, then clip
in the right?

I don't do a cowboy mount. I straddle the bar, clip in the left foot,
start rolling, and grab the right pedal. Most clipless pedals engage
pretty easily by just pressing down with your foot.

I just "restored" my old track bike to the original equipment, as much as
I could, to participate in a parade with a bunch of vintage bikes (mine
is ~35 years old) Put the old pedals and clips back on. It was a RPITA to
get back into the toe-clips today. I can't imagine doing that all the
time.

--

David L. Johnson

__o | You will say Christ saith this and the apostles say this; but
_`\(,_ | what canst thou say? -- George Fox.
(_)/ (_) |

Old October 28th 04, 09:51 PM
the black rose

David L. Johnson wrote:
You will fall. Live with it. You will fall when you roll to a stop,
then remember that you are clipped in a half-second too late, and forget
how to get out. But you won't be moving, so the only injury will be to
your pride.

This is an addendum to Murphy's Law. You will fall when the
maximum possible number of motorists and other onlookers are
watching.

The last time I went splat, I was coming to a stop in a
crowded parking lot. I'd just had cleats put in a pair of
shoes I wasn't used to, it was way too hard to get out of,
and I couldn't unclip. So I come to a stop and... plop.

My husband said he was thinking, "Why is she pretending to
fall over?" right up until the moment I hit the ground
squawking. *sigh*

Get mountain-bike style cleats and shoes. It is far better to be able to
actually walk in the shoes.

Unless you *really* like walking like a duck. *grin*

-km, "Quack quack, waddle waddle, quack quack, waddle waddle..."

--
Only cowards fight kids -- unidentified Moscow protester

proud to be owned by a yorkie
Old October 28th 04, 10:59 PM
Ravi R

one small tip - which helped me in the learning process:

to properly align the cleats on the pedals:
fix a small thin tape or something on the inner side of the shoe -
which corresponds to the stem of the pedal (in clipped in position) -
basically when clipped in, the tape should like along with the stem of
the pedal.

When clipping in, you can use this tape to help align the pedal and the
cleat. Once you are comfortable, the tape can be removed and you know
intuitively where your cleat/pedal is.

i started off with clipless (never used clips - except for test rides) -
so may be it was me who had issues of locating the pedal.

+ravi

Fun fun fun Jon Senior UK 140 May 4th 04 05:14 PM
Daylight Bright Bicycle Tail Light Laurence Dodd Australia 0 September 17th 03 04:36 AM