thoughts about a custom blue ridge litespeed

Old November 10th 04, 04:04 AM
Claire Petersky

"Dane Jackson" wrote in message
Claire Petersky wrote:
"Dane Jackson" wrote in message
Claire Petersky wrote:

I guess a touch better, though who cares what I think? I suppose one of
my problems with getting an expensive bike is that I destroy bike parts
at a fairly good clip. Wheels, forks, frames, derailleurs, seats, racks,
bottle cages, etc. I'm not in Chalo's league, but I'm doing fairly well
for an amateur.

I guess the only thing I have that's original on my existing bike is the
frame, handlebars, and cranks. I might have more except for the time my
husband drove it into the garage while it was on top of the car.

I tend to destroy everything though, that's why I gave up wearing a watch
a long time ago.

Me too -- my husband complains that I have to replace my watches twice a
year.

But this to me then points to the need for quality components -- if the
cheap stuff is just going to break, it might be worth it to spend a little
more. Not for Dura-Ace, but for Ultegra, at least.

I really do like the look of the SOMA frames though. I've been toying
with the idea of getting on of those for my next road bike.

What about Vanilla? http://www.vanillabicycles.com/ They're down in
Portland...

TiCycles unfortunately seems to think that a cyclocross bike is the same

as
a touring bike, otherwise I'd give that local company more

consideration.

Hmm, I've never really looked into them that much. Usually I just stop
into the store because they're the only one I can find who stocks some
small part I need. So, I've never really looked into them as a whole
bike supplier per se.

They're conveniently located off the BG -- clearly oriented to ride-by
traffic, as opposed to people who arrive by car.

--
Warm Regards,

Claire Petersky
Home of the meditative cyclist:

Old November 11th 04, 01:43 AM
Dane Jackson

Bruce Frech wrote:
"Dane Jackson" wrote in message

Of course, I figured out a while
ago that I definitely have a bad case of reverse snobbery. I'm much
more interested in talking to the guy riding an older bike with DT
shifters or bar-cons than the guy riding the Dura-Ace equipped
wonder-bike.

I ride a custom Litespeed. It's custom because I wanted a slight variation
on the standard geometry - lower BB, longer chainstays and toptube, plus I
wanted rack eyelets. Sure I could have gotten a Habanero for less but I
wanted the butted tubing. I plan to ride that bike more then 50,000 miles,
which is what I've done with the last four bikes I've owned before that one.
Note that they all still work fine and they all have DuraAce. I tour, race,
commute, club-ride and just plain ride my bikes about 10,000 miles a year
and have been doing that for 30 years.

My custom bike isn't any faster then the previous litespeed or the Kestrel
before that or the Miyata Pro (steel). It handles slightly differently and
it's easier to attach a rack or fenders.

Would you talk with me on a ride?

Maybe if you stop top posting.

Don't get me wrong, one of the guys at work rides a Dura-Ace Litespeed.
He not only has Dura-Ace and team kit, he rides in a team. I get along
fine with him, and we BS about bikes all the time. What I object to is
all the ******s I run into on the trails here (never roads for some odd
reason). It really irritates me to pass some fellow and look behind me
later to find him 12 inches behind my wheel. And every time it is some
guy on a tri-bike or a really nice new bike. I think that's where some
of my snobbery is coming from.

I'm thinking about making a sign to attach to my carradice bag.

"Not a Tow Truck"

--
Dane Jackson - z u v e m b i @ u n i x b i g o t s . o r g
Politicians are the same all over. They promise to build a bridge even
Old November 11th 04, 04:10 AM
Claire Petersky

"Dane Jackson" wrote in message

What I object to is
all the ******s I run into on the trails here (never roads for some odd
reason). It really irritates me to pass some fellow and look behind me
later to find him 12 inches behind my wheel. And every time it is some
guy on a tri-bike or a really nice new bike.

If you weren't so damn fast, you wouldn't have all these people trying to
draft you. No one ever tries to draft *me*.

Old November 11th 04, 06:42 AM
Dane Jackson

Claire Petersky wrote:

"Dane Jackson" wrote in message

What I object to is
all the ******s I run into on the trails here (never roads for some odd
reason). It really irritates me to pass some fellow and look behind me
later to find him 12 inches behind my wheel. And every time it is some
guy on a tri-bike or a really nice new bike.

If you weren't so damn fast, you wouldn't have all these people trying to
draft you. No one ever tries to draft *me*.

:P

But I'm always in a rush to get where I'm going! It's not like I'm
training, or trying for my personal best. I'm just late! My substitute
for a time trial is go the long way to work, but leave (unintentionally)
about ten minutes later than I should have.

--
Dane Jackson - z u v e m b i @ u n i x b i g o t s . o r g
Remember that as a teenager you are in the last stage of your life when