good brand of bike

Old November 9th 04, 02:32 AM
andrea rose

Default good brand of bike

I've recently decided to do some other activity than running in my off
season due to my shin splints. I decided that I have always enjoyed
riding my bike and enjoyed the outdoors so I would be purchasing a
bike in the near future. I am not too experienced with biking but was
wondering if anyone had any input on what brand of bike would be good
for some training, but probably not too intense. I dont plan on
investing a huge amount of money into it but I would like it to last
me a long time. Let me know if u have any suggestions, thanks!
Old November 9th 04, 02:57 AM
do not spam

In article ,
andrea rose wrote:
I am not too experienced with biking but was
wondering if anyone had any input on what brand of bike would be good
for some training, but probably not too intense.

If you live in the USA, almost any bike you find in a regular bike shop
will be durable and reliable. You might want to avoid racing bikes
with super light wheels, but those won't be in the entry level price
range anyway. Some brands you commonly find in US bike shops include
Trek, Giant, Specialized, Cannondale, Bianchi, and Fuji.
Old November 9th 04, 02:52 PM
Maggie

Dan Daniel wrote in message . ..
When it comes to bikes in bike shops (not WalMarts, etc.!), there

isn't a huge difference in quality levels for money paid.

Hey whatsamatta with a Walmart bike when you first start out? I just
started riding again and I have no clue if I will keep biking or if
the bike will end up hanging in the shed rusting with my roller
blades. I like riding it and if I continue I will purchase a better
quality bike. If I realize this is not for me, I have only invested 70
dollars. I have a lot to learn about cycling. (I realize that from
being in this newsgroup.) My Walmart bike may take me on to bigger and
better things. (I hope :-) When you first start I think you should
just find a cheap bike or borrow one. See if cycling is right for you
first. http://hometown.aol.com/lbuset/
Old November 9th 04, 04:03 PM
Claire Petersky

"Maggie" wrote in message
om...
Dan Daniel wrote in message

. ..
When it comes to bikes in bike shops (not WalMarts, etc.!), there

isn't a huge difference in quality levels for money paid.

Hey whatsamatta with a Walmart bike when you first start out?

A *mart bike will be heavier, with poor components, and because it's
one-size-fits-some, it's likely to be ill-fitting. As a result, the
beginning cyclist may find the experience unpleasant, and perhaps downright
painful. This aforementioned beginning cyclist on the *mart bike then makes
the decision that cycling is not for him/her, and hang it up on a hook,
never to be ridden again. If the beginning cyclist were to spend more money
initially, s/he would be giving cycling more of a fair shake, and might end
up enjoying it.

--
Warm Regards,

Claire Petersky
Home of the meditative cyclist:

Old November 9th 04, 06:21 PM
Ravi

Maggie wrote:
Dan Daniel wrote in message . ..

When it comes to bikes in bike shops (not WalMarts, etc.!), there

isn't a huge difference in quality levels for money paid.

Hey whatsamatta with a Walmart bike when you first start out? I just
started riding again and I have no clue if I will keep biking or if
the bike will end up hanging in the shed rusting with my roller
blades. I like riding it and if I continue I will purchase a better
quality bike. If I realize this is not for me, I have only invested 70
dollars. I have a lot to learn about cycling. (I realize that from
being in this newsgroup.) My Walmart bike may take me on to bigger and

i had the same logic for a while. But, like Claire said - it is the
first experience - so it should be more comfortable. Because of the
equipment issue, you should not dislike (and discontinue) doing a
certain activity.

better alternatives:

1. Rent and try it out (rentals are usually cheap). And some of the bike
shops, will let you apply the rental fee towards a purchase of a bike -
if you rent for over the weekend, you would get even better deals.

2. Get a used one - for this you need to get the help of someone who is
knowlegdeable - you can do your own research and find out what kind of
bike you want to ride and the specifications. Once you have the
specifications, you can start hunting for used ones - at garage sales,
craigslist etc. When you buy a new one, you can use your old used bike
as a beater bike. you can also look for deals at bike rental places on
used bikes.

*Mart bikes because it is not fit properly, can endup hurting. There are
lots of info why *Mart bikes are not good - not even for dry runs. There
has been accidents because of sub-standard parts in *Mart bikes.

+ravi

Old November 9th 04, 10:16 PM
Bill

"andrea rose" wrote in message
om...
I've recently decided to do some other activity than running in my off
season due to my shin splints. I decided that I have always enjoyed
riding my bike and enjoyed the outdoors so I would be purchasing a
bike in the near future. I am not too experienced with biking but was
wondering if anyone had any input on what brand of bike would be good
for some training, but probably not too intense. I dont plan on
investing a huge amount of money into it but I would like it to last
me a long time. Let me know if u have any suggestions, thanks!

Since you are a runner and are interested in some "training" you might
consider a bike that will permit you to go fast, an entry level racing bike.
It will serve you well for a few years if it turns out that you like
cycling. Seems like many "like to go fast" club cyclists are former runners
who enjoy aerobic exercise but start to have various impact related
injuries.

Go for a moderately priced road bike that fits properly. See if you can
connect with a local cycling club, they most likely be able to offer
suggestions. Another option to find a good used road bike that you can get
started on until you discover what you would really like "or not". It is
almost impossible to buy the right bike the first time. Your position will
evolve and your specific interests will become focused. After a little
experience you know enough to make a good choice for you.
Bill Brannon

Old November 9th 04, 10:34 PM
Maggie

"Claire Petersky" wrote in message thlink.net...

A *mart bike will be heavier, with poor components, and because it's
one-size-fits-some, it's likely to be ill-fitting. As a result, the
beginning cyclist may find the experience unpleasant, and perhaps downright
painful. This aforementioned beginning cyclist on the *mart bike then makes
the decision that cycling is not for him/her, and hang it up on a hook,
never to be ridden again. If the beginning cyclist were to spend more money
initially, s/he would be giving cycling more of a fair shake, and might end
up enjoying it.
Warm Regards,
Claire Petersky

Claire....How did you get so smart? I never thought about it like
that. My Walmart bike is heavy and ill fitting. It certainly is not
as comfortable as other bikes I've tried. I hope it's not on the way
to being hung on a hook in the garage next to my roller blades. If I
can buy a purse for an obscene amount of money, I should buy a bike
for at least half as much. ;-) http://hometown.aol.com/lbuset/
Old November 9th 04, 10:59 PM
Gary

One of the saddest things I see as a cyclist is the person who wants
to gt into cycling purchasing a cheap, heavy bike and never knowing
the joy and experience of a REAL bike, and giving up thinking its all
too much work.

I started out on a budget bike, and it was only trying friends cycles
that I realised how much I was missing.

Go for quality, stay away from cheap chinese bikes, and ones from
supermarkets/ chainstores, you will appreciate the experience long
after the cost has been forgotten.
Old November 10th 04, 01:09 AM
Claire Petersky

"Maggie" wrote in message