Talk about your dumb tight questions...

Old November 11th 04, 06:07 PM
David Reuteler

Badger wrote:
church lady
thought maybe you meant, oh, I don't know, maybe SATAN?
/church lady

who the hell is church lady old timer?

;-)
--
david reuteler

Old November 11th 04, 08:00 PM
Roger Zoul

dgk wrote:
|| On Thu, 11 Nov 2004 14:56:23 GMT, "Bob Burns"
|| wrote:
||| Try wearing your padded bike shorts over tights.
|| Wow, three responses already and two votes for tights over shorts,
|| one vote for shorts over tights. That's close to unanimous in a
|| newsgroup since it really makes no difference which goes on first
|| for all practical purposes. I think I would prefer the look of
|| shorts over the tights.

Don't have any experience here, but if you wear shorts of tights, the tights
might bunch up a bit, unless they are really tight fitting (??). I have
some loose fitting tights to wear over my regular biking shorts.

|| But if I don't wear the jeans (or whatever else I'm wearing at work)
|| then I have to carry them along anyway. That pack is getting pretty
|| full here in the cold weather. It's pretty hot at work during the
|| winter, maybe I can switch to some light polyester type pants that I
|| can wear while riding.
|| I forsee the need for an at-work laundry. One of those drop-off and
|| pickup later types. I already have a few shirts that I brought in,
|| plus spare socks. I'm going to need a bigger office.

Do you ride with a backpack?

Old November 11th 04, 08:13 PM
maxo

On Thu, 11 Nov 2004 14:56:23 +0000, Bob Burns wrote:

Try wearing your padded bike shorts over tights.

shorts *over* tights just looks so, erm, boy-wonderish.

I'll take mine under so the chamois can properly caress my undercarriage.

Old November 11th 04, 08:26 PM
dgk

On Thu, 11 Nov 2004 15:00:50 -0500, "Roger Zoul"
wrote:

dgk wrote:
|| On Thu, 11 Nov 2004 14:56:23 GMT, "Bob Burns"
|| wrote:
||| Try wearing your padded bike shorts over tights.
|| Wow, three responses already and two votes for tights over shorts,
|| one vote for shorts over tights. That's close to unanimous in a
|| newsgroup since it really makes no difference which goes on first
|| for all practical purposes. I think I would prefer the look of
|| shorts over the tights.

Don't have any experience here, but if you wear shorts of tights, the tights
might bunch up a bit, unless they are really tight fitting (??). I have
some loose fitting tights to wear over my regular biking shorts.

|| But if I don't wear the jeans (or whatever else I'm wearing at work)
|| then I have to carry them along anyway. That pack is getting pretty
|| full here in the cold weather. It's pretty hot at work during the
|| winter, maybe I can switch to some light polyester type pants that I
|| can wear while riding.
|| I forsee the need for an at-work laundry. One of those drop-off and
|| pickup later types. I already have a few shirts that I brought in,
|| plus spare socks. I'm going to need a bigger office.

Do you ride with a backpack?

Yes, but the backpack sits on the carrier dohickey.
Old November 11th 04, 09:09 PM
Roger Zoul

Old November 11th 04, 10:07 PM
Rich Clark

"Bob Burns" wrote in message
ink.net...

Try wearing your padded bike shorts over tights.

Defeats the design of the chamois in the shorts, which is supposed to be
next to your skin.

And anyway, if you're going to to that, you might as well just use leg
warmers.

Or get padded tights and dispense with the shorts.

RichC

Old November 12th 04, 12:37 AM
David L. Johnson

On Thu, 11 Nov 2004 15:00:50 -0500, Roger Zoul wrote:

Don't have any experience here, but if you wear shorts of tights, the tights
might bunch up a bit, unless they are really tight fitting (??). I have
some loose fitting tights to wear over my regular biking shorts.

Loose-fitting tights?

--

David L. Johnson

__o | Become MicroSoft-free forever. Ask me how.
_`\(,_ |
(_)/ (_) |

Old November 12th 04, 12:58 AM
Roger Zoul

David L. Johnson wrote:
|| On Thu, 11 Nov 2004 15:00:50 -0500, Roger Zoul wrote:
||| Don't have any experience here, but if you wear shorts of tights,
||| the tights might bunch up a bit, unless they are really tight
||| fitting (??). I have some loose fitting tights to wear over my
||| regular biking shorts.
|| Loose-fitting tights?

Yep. The sell them at performancebike.com. Sort of like sweat pants, with
zippered pockets.

http://www.performancebike.com/shop/...tegory_ID=1121

Cheap is the word, I guess. I hope they performance better than the sweats
i'm wearing now!

Old November 12th 04, 01:31 AM
Mike Kruger

dgk wrote:

Wow, three responses already and two votes for tights over

shorts, one
vote for shorts over tights. That's close to unanimous in

a newsgroup
since it really makes no difference which goes on first

for all
practical purposes.

No difference at all? Hardly.
(1) If it's cold when you start before dawn but both the
earth and you are much warmer after an hour, you can take
the tights off anywhere if you have the tights on top and
the shorts underneath. If the tights are underneath, this is
not possible in a public place unless you are both a
professor of topology and a contortionist.
(2) Whatever's next to your crotch during exercise should be
regularly washed. This is easy for shorts and they will last
a long time. If you wear bike shorts, you probably have
several pairs, so you only have to do bike laundry every few
days. Tights don't hold up as well to repeated washing, and
most of us have fewer pairs of tights. This would require
more frequent laundry if they were worn as underwear.

I think I would prefer the look of shorts over the tights.

Winter cycling is definitely not about "style".

Old November 12th 04, 02:38 AM
Blair P. Houghton

David L. Johnson wrote:
On Thu, 11 Nov 2004 15:00:50 -0500, Roger Zoul wrote:

Don't have any experience here, but if you wear shorts of tights, the tights
might bunch up a bit, unless they are really tight fitting (??). I have
some loose fitting tights to wear over my regular biking shorts.

Loose-fitting tights?

New thing. The call them "pants".

--Blair
"Tightie-whities, padded shorts,