Traffic Light Detectors

Old February 4th 09, 05:11 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Frood

Default Traffic Light Detectors

wrote:

The Highway Code endorses filtering (Ian Smith)

He just can't find where it does so.

160

Once moving you should...
...be aware of other road users, especially cycles and
motorcycles who may be filtering through the traffic. ...

211

It is often difficult to see motorcyclists and cyclists, especially when
they are coming up from behind, coming out of junctions, at roundabouts,
overtaking you or filtering through traffic. Always look out for them
before you emerge from a junction; they could be approaching faster than
you think. ...

HTH.
Old February 4th 09, 08:20 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling

On Wed, 04 Feb 2009 16:11:06 +0000, Frood wrote:

wrote:

The Highway Code endorses filtering (Ian Smith)

He just can't find where it does so.

160

Once moving you should...
...be aware of other road users, especially cycles and
motorcycles who may be filtering through the traffic. ...

211

It is often difficult to see motorcyclists and cyclists, especially when
they are coming up from behind, coming out of junctions, at roundabouts,
overtaking you or filtering through traffic. Always look out for them
before you emerge from a junction; they could be approaching faster than
you think. ...

HTH.

Fascinating - so you take both of those paragraphs as "endorsing"
filtering do you?

If it said "be aware of drunks in the road" - would that be endorsing
"drunks in the road"?

PS your Highway Code is out of date.

judith

--

helmet wearing is becoming more common among adults
Guy Chapman
Old February 5th 09, 10:45 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Frood

wrote:

The Highway Code endorses filtering (Ian Smith)

He just can't find where it does so.

160

Once moving you should...
...be aware of other road users, especially cycles and
motorcycles who may be filtering through the traffic. ...

211

It is often difficult to see motorcyclists and cyclists, especially when
they are coming up from behind, coming out of junctions, at roundabouts,
overtaking you or filtering through traffic. Always look out for them
before you emerge from a junction; they could be approaching faster than
you think. ...

HTH.

Fascinating - so you take both of those paragraphs as "endorsing"
filtering do you?

It describes it as an action that happens on the road and that other
road users should be aware of. Nowhere does it say that it "should not"
or "must not" be done. It tells car drivers that filtering is OK -
otherwise the wording would be "...overtaking you or illegally filtering..."
The mere fact that it is presented as it is endorses it as a legal action.

If it said "be aware of drunks in the road" - would that be endorsing
"drunks in the road"?

Where does the highway code say that? Where does it say to be careful of
anyone performing any illegal actions? Does it tell you to beware of
speeding motorists? Or anyone running red lights? Does it tell you to
beware of motorists who are drunk? Here's a clue: it doesn't.

It tells to be aware of people who are performing legal and well
understood/expected manoeuvres.

PS your Highway Code is out of date.

Taken from the Directgov website. Perhaps you should write to them and
complain if the wording doesn't meet your approval. I'm sure they will
treat your letter with the respect it deserves.

http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/TravelAn...code/DG_069858
http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/TravelAn...code/DG_070312

HTH
Old February 5th 09, 12:41 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling

wrote:

[...]

Rubbish - stating that something happens does not endorse it.

"look well ahead for obstructions in the road, such as drains,
pot-holes"

The Highway Code therefore endorses pot-holes in roads?

"watch out for doors being opened or pedestrians stepping into your
path"

The Highway Code therefore endorses pedestrian stepping in to your
path?

"When approaching a junction on the left, watch out for vehicles
turning in front of you"

The Highway Code therefore endorses vehicles turning in front of you
as you approach a junction?

If it said "be aware of drunks in the road" - would that be endorsing
"drunks in the road"?

Where does the highway code say that?

I didn't say it did. It is in the category of those I quote above -
if the Highway Code mentioned them - it would not be endorsing them

It tells to be aware of people who are performing legal and well
understood/expected manoeuvres.

And to be aware of the unexpected and illegal as I quote above.

PS your Highway Code is out of date.

Taken from the Directgov website.

(My mistake - I have two Word versions - where I had been comparing
changes - apologies)

just in case you still don't see what endorsing means, the OED offers
these clarifications:

1) To declare one's approval of.

2) To confirm, sanction, countenance, or vouch for (statements,
opinions, acts, etc.; occasionally, persons), as by an endorsement.

(You'll be telling me that the DfT endorses Cyclecraft next ;-)
Old February 5th 09, 02:43 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling

On Thu, 05 Feb 2009 11:59:33 +0000, Frood wrote:

snip

Now show me where filtering (something you previously claimed was a made
up word) is prohibited by the HC. It isn't - because it is an acceptable
behaviour.

Thanks for playing. Better luck next time.

I think you have English comprehension difficulties.

I have never said that filtering is "prohibited" by the Highway Code -
it isn't.

The phrase is mentioned - this most certainly does not mean that the
Highway Code "endorses" it

You seem to have real difficulty thinking that words "not prohibited",
"contains", "endorsed" - all mean the same thing.

They don't.

The Highway Code does not "endorse" filtering.

Did you not spot the definitions I provided:

(You'll be claiming that you're taking the **** out of me next ;-)

Old February 5th 09, 02:47 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Frood

wrote:

I have never said that filtering is "prohibited" by the Highway Code -
it isn't.

Well done.
Old February 5th 09, 05:08 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling

On Thu, 05 Feb 2009 13:47:03 +0000, Frood wrote:

wrote:

I have never said that filtering is "prohibited" by the Highway Code -
it isn't.

Well done.

Good - we're getting there (slowly)

You now just need to be able to understand that because it doesn't
prohibit it - this does not mean that it endorses it.

Can you understand that?

judith

--

If you're going to make snide insinuations about the author,
as you undoubtedly did, then you can **** right off. (Guy Chapman)
Old February 5th 09, 06:18 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
_[_9_]

Frood wrote:
wrote:

Good - we're getting there (slowly)

I'm glad you appreciate it.

LOL what a dickhead! You remind me of Duhg, but a more stupid version...

Traffic Light Timings Saxman UK 46 February 1st 09 05:49 PM
Traffic Light Spoofer for Cyclists Bret Cahill[_2_] General 27 January 26th 09 05:50 AM
The need for high tech traffic detectors Greens Techniques 224 September 6th 07 07:28 PM
Bicycles, Traffic Signals, Loop Detectors -- rules where you ride? No Name Techniques 27 March 21st 07 11:38 PM
Dealing with city hall - traffic light sensors Mike Rocket J. Squirrel Elliott Techniques 31 October 14th 05 06:45 AM