Motorbike Filtering

Old February 9th 09, 04:02 PM posted to uk.rec.driving,uk.rec.cycling

Default Motorbike Filtering

On Mon, 09 Feb 2009 11:32:57 +0000, "Just zis Guy, you know?"
wrote:

On Mon, 9 Feb 2009 01:48:19 -0000, "OG"
said in :

How bitter do you have to be if deliberately obstructing a cyclist makes you
feel better?

This might just have been just the standard cager

Extract from OED definition of psycholist

A cyclist who is one of a small group who frequent the news group
uk.rec.cycling they have invented their own "language" to justify
their views:

Example 3
3) "Cager" is used provocatively instead of the word "motorist",
in the hope that it irritates motorists; it doesn't - it makes them
laugh at the psycholist's inadequacies.

judith

--
I encourage my children to wear helmets. (Guy Chapman)
I have never said that I encourage my children to wear helmets. (Guy

Old February 9th 09, 04:05 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
ruffles

On 09 Feb 2009 14:21:04 GMT, Ian Smith wrote:

snip

"I was driving into town on Friday and was part of a stream of
traffic overtaking a cyclist as we (and he) approached a set of traffic
lights. I noticed that the driver of one of the cars behind me pulled right
over to the kerb after passing the cyclist to prevent him from filtering on
the inside while the line of cars were stopped for the lights."

regards, Ian SMith

Hello Smith - found the endorsement of filtering in the Highway Code
yet?

Old February 9th 09, 04:36 PM posted to uk.rec.driving,uk.rec.cycling
AndyC

wrote in message

Example 3
3) "Cager" is used provocatively instead of the word "motorist",
in the hope that it irritates motorists; it doesn't - it makes them
laugh at the psycholist's inadequacies.

Cager is a term widely used by motorcyclists as well as in URC and has been
around for years. It's not meant to be provocative so please don't be
offended by it. It is quite common that in any minority group, there is a
nickname for the wider public who are not part of that minority. Cager just
refers to the people in their caged vehicle. It's not even meant to be even
slightly derogatory, however, if you want to take it that way...

Old February 9th 09, 06:23 PM posted to uk.rec.driving,uk.rec.cycling
Just zis Guy, you know?[_2_]

On Mon, 9 Feb 2009 15:36:17 -0000, "AndyC"
said in
:

Cager is a term widely used by motorcyclists as well as in URC and has been
around for years.

And it has a specific utility that "motorist" does not: anybody
driving a car is a motorist, but cagers don't use two-wheeled modes
at all. Motorcyclists and cyclists are, I think, rather less likely
to forget to look for other two-wheelers (and indeed pedestrians)
when they get behind the wheel.

The word cager implies both the safety cage and the prison. I think
it's very apt for those who are unable or unwilling to consider
other modes.

Though I suspect the average cager has never read Planet Ovlov or
Ogri, so misses the gallows humour element.

Guy
http://www.chapmancentral.co.uk
GPG sig #3FA3BCDE http://www.chapmancentral.co.uk/pgp-public-key.txt
Old February 9th 09, 07:51 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Whoisit

ruffles wrote:
On 09 Feb 2009 14:21:04 GMT, Ian Smith wrote:

snip

"I was driving into town on Friday and was part of a stream of
traffic overtaking a cyclist as we (and he) approached a set of traffic
lights. I noticed that the driver of one of the cars behind me pulled right
over to the kerb after passing the cyclist to prevent him from filtering on
the inside while the line of cars were stopped for the lights."

regards, Ian SMith

Hello Smith - found the endorsement of filtering in the Highway Code
yet?

72 & 73 appear to endorse it.
Old February 9th 09, 08:52 PM posted to uk.rec.driving,uk.rec.cycling
Derek Geldard

On Mon, 9 Feb 2009 11:15:27 -0000, "OG"
wrote:

How bitter do you have to be if deliberately obstructing a cyclist makes
you feel better?

Was the driver turning left?

Driver wasn't indicating, but it was at least 60 metres before the lights
anyway, so it's irrelevant

If so, that would seem to be a very sensible maneouvre.

Why?

By pulling over to the left he creates more room for traffic
overtaking properly on his right.

Derek

Old February 9th 09, 08:59 PM posted to uk.rec.driving,uk.rec.cycling
Marc[_2_]

Just zis Guy, you know? wrote:

Though I suspect the average cager has never read Planet Ovlov or
Ogri, so misses the gallows humour element.

I miss "Bloodrunners"! :-(
Old February 9th 09, 09:13 PM posted to uk.rec.driving,uk.rec.cycling
Just zis Guy, you know?[_2_]

On Mon, 9 Feb 2009 19:34:32 -0000, Halmyre
said in :

Oops, we seem to have some sort of an inferiority complex going on here!

Nah, just noting the conclusions of TRL report 549 of 2002.

Old February 9th 09, 11:43 PM posted to uk.rec.driving,uk.rec.cycling
JNugent[_5_]

wrote:

How bitter do you have to be if deliberately obstructing a cyclist makes
you feel better?
Was the driver turning left?

Driver wasn't indicating, but it was at least 60 metres before the lights
anyway, so it's irrelevant

If so, that would seem to be a very sensible maneouvre.

Why?

By pulling over to the left he creates more room for traffic
overtaking properly on his right.

Derek

I've already reminded him/them of that.

Disgusting. Motorbike pretender. tobbogonist Unicycling 14 November 17th 07 11:52 AM
Motorbike abuse CoyoteBoy UK 26 April 30th 07 12:43 PM
Motorbike petition of interest. Martin Dann UK 5 December 28th 06 05:09 PM
Lance's motorbike .. elyob UK 3 July 19th 05 03:48 PM
Motorbike (etc.) morons on bridleways Chris Bardell UK 30 August 24th 04 07:55 AM