spindthrift - magnatom antics

Old February 3rd 09, 08:06 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
relevant

Default spindthrift - magnatom antics

Here is a letter I have sent - perhaps a few more on similar lines

e-mail to:

Environmental and Protection Services,
Taxis and Private Hire Enforcement Unit,
231 George Street,
G1 1RX.

Dear Sirs

I understand that you have recently had a complaint made against the
driver of the Private hire car with plate no.2266.

I would like to point out to you that within the cycling community the
complainant is a serial complainer about the driving habits of
motorists - and always wears a video camera and sound recorder whilst
he is cycling in order to ensnare unaware drivers.

This is quite a common practice amongst a small group of cyclists
which enables them to act as an agent provocateur and to ride in an
irresponsible fashion which causes incidents which they then attempt
to put the blame for, on other parties. Indeed, sometimes such
serious accidents can be caused in this fashion that the threat or
reality of a court case can lead to the cyclist receiving significant
monetary compensation.

It should be also be noted that taxi drivers, and the drivers of
Private Hire vehicles are common targets, as complaints can be made to
an authority which will then reprimand a driver, who in reality was
not actually at fault. This however causes significant
self-satisfaction to the cyclist and they are then able to brag about
their "achievement" in internet cycling forums.

I would draw your attention to the web site:
http://www.youtube.com/user/magnatom where you may see for yourself
the further activities of the complainant.

Of particular interest are those videos where "magnatom" clearly
points out to the driver that the video will be on u-tube and that a
detailed closed up of the vehicles registration plate is recorded. One
may wonder why this action is taken - it is most certainly
unnecessary; but is certainly threatening and intimidation.

The threats which are made to the drivers are probably common assault;
and these criminal acts are then often compounded by the thumping and
kicking of vehicles in order to cause criminal damage.

I trust that you will exonerate the driver who was involved in this
incident - and perhaps also circulate to the Taxi and Private Hire
Companies the gist of this communication so that their own drivers are
suitably forewarned.

Regards

Old February 3rd 09, 10:07 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
_[_9_]

relevant wrote:
[...]

I thoroughly applaud your letter and hope that it gets the right
reaction. It might have helped to be a bit briefer, though!
Old February 3rd 09, 11:45 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
TerryJ

I trust that you will exonerate the driver who was involved in this
incident - and perhaps also circulate to the Taxi and Private Hire
Companies the gist of this communication so that their own drivers are
suitably forewarned.

Bad driving that endangers other road users is commonplace and usually
unreported because it is difficult to get evidence. That is no reason
for exoneration when the evidence has been collected.
Old February 3rd 09, 12:06 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
AndyC

"relevant" wrote in message
Here is a letter I have sent - perhaps a few more on similar lines

[big snip]

I notice on this one:
http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=7drPCPfWCIQ

He admits to his mistake of not using the whole lane to overtake, but he
misses the fact that he overtook a car that was indicating to change lane.
While that is commonly done by aggressive drivers, if you do that on two
wheels it is suicidal.

If you are going to overtake a car that is already indicating, whether
stationary or not, you do so at your own peril. Rights of way are
meaningless when you are dead.

Old February 3rd 09, 12:17 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Squashme

On 3 Feb, 07:06, relevant wrote:
[...]

Do they respond to anonymous letters, or is "Regards" your name?
Old February 3rd 09, 12:22 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
JNugent[_5_]

AndyC wrote:

"relevant" wrote:

Here is a letter I have sent - perhaps a few more on similar lines

[big snip]

I notice on this one:
http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=7drPCPfWCIQ

He admits to his mistake of not using the whole lane to overtake, but he
misses the fact that he overtook a car that was indicating to change lane.
While that is commonly done by aggressive drivers, if you do that on two
wheels it is suicidal.
If you are going to overtake a car that is already indicating, whether
stationary or not, you do so at your own peril. Rights of way are
meaningless when you are dead.

In his video "Undertaking On A Roundabout", the same poster castigates a
car-driver who passes him on the nearside on a large roundabout. The
roundabout seems to be the one seen in the video referenced in the OP and the
cyclist is way over to the offside, hard up against the island (incidentally
passing over a distinctive hatched-off area).

Perhaps he thinks that it is unlawful to pass on the nearside on a roundabout
(it isn't). And if one really objects to being "undertaken", perhaps it'd be
btter not to hog the offside edge of the one-way stretch of road which is the
carriageway of a large roundabout.
Old February 3rd 09, 12:26 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
JNugent[_5_]

JNugent wrote:

AndyC wrote:
"relevant" wrote:

[...]

Another of his videos ("White van-driver teaches me a lesson") appears to be
functionally identical to the one involving the private hire car - recorded
over the same route, in the same sort of conditions and almost at the same spot.

Different motor vehicle, different driver, same cyclist.

Anyone spot a pattern here?
Old February 3rd 09, 12:30 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
JNugent[_5_]

Squashme wrote:

relevant wrote:

Here is a letter I have sent - perhaps a few more on similar lines

e-mail to:

Environmental and Protection Services,
Taxis and Private Hire Enforcement Unit,
231 George Street,
G1 1RX.

Dear Sirs

I understand that you have recently had a complaint made against the
driver of the Private hire car with plate no.2266.

I would like to point out to you that within the cycling community the
complainant is a serial complainer about the driving habits of
motorists - and always wears a video camera and sound recorder whilst
he is cycling in order to ensnare unaware drivers.

[snip]

I trust that you will exonerate the driver who was involved in this
incident - and perhaps also circulate to the Taxi and Private Hire
Companies the gist of this communication so that their own drivers are
suitably forewarned.

Regards

Do they respond to anonymous letters, or is "Regards" your name?

He should have included his correct full name and address - just like you do.
Old February 3rd 09, 12:34 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Squashme

On 3 Feb, 11:26, JNugent wrote:
JNugent wrote:
AndyC wrote:
"relevant" wrote:
[...]

Yes, but let's not be too harsh. Not all motorists are like that. Many
are not aggressive and do respect other road-users.
Old February 3rd 09, 12:49 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
AndyC

"Squashme" wrote in message
On 3 Feb, 11:26, JNugent wrote:
JNugent wrote:

Another of his videos ("White van-driver teaches me a lesson") appears to
be
functionally identical to the one involving the private hire car -
recorded
over the same route, in the same sort of conditions and almost at the
same spot.

Different motor vehicle, different driver, same cyclist.

Anyone spot a pattern here?

Yes, but let's not be too harsh. Not all motorists are like that. Many
are not aggressive and do respect other road-users.

Point is though if there is a spot where the same incident tends to occur,
it might be better to either find a way to stop it happening or to use
another route. Trying to educate aggressive drivers is futile, because for
every one that you have a run-in with, there will be another hundred who
need to be enlightened.

There is also a good argument, that when there is a driver who is harassing
you by trying to overtake when it is not safe, you slow down or stop and get
out of the way. It may not be "Right" but at least it means there is no
nasty incident.