LBS discounts?

Old August 22nd 03, 05:29 AM
Tim Jones

Default LBS discounts?

Hello all,

Just wondering what sort of discount you expect or receive from your LBS
when you purchase a new bike. With a bit of wrangling, I had about 12% off
retail offered as the rock bottom discount for a new MTB, cleats, shoes and
bar ends.

A WA shop offers 15% for orders made over the web (although they cannot
actually sell Giant bikes over the web due to their reseller agreement).

What are other people's expectations or experience?

Tim

Old August 22nd 03, 03:19 PM
Gary K

Andrew Swan wrote:

Tim Jones wrote:
Hello all,

Just wondering what sort of discount you expect or receive from your LBS
when you purchase a new bike. With a bit of wrangling, I had about 12% off
retail offered as the rock bottom discount for a new MTB, cleats, shoes and
bar ends.

A WA shop offers 15% for orders made over the web (although they cannot
actually sell Giant bikes over the web due to their reseller agreement).

What are other people's expectations or experience?

Tim

I tend to shop at bike shops that give a discount either for (a) having
a racing licence or (b) being a Bike NSW member. Many shops in Sydney do
one or both, and sometimes one is more than the other (e.g. 5% vs 10%)
at the same shop, so it's worth asking. Make sure you ask for a discount
BEFORE they ring up your purchases, otherwise if they are feeling surly
they will knock you back (so far this has only happened in a certain
large bike shop in Albury).

I tend to shop at shops that give me 10% for just walking in the door,
or maybe because I'm back a 2nd time, cant remember, but 10% off seems
to be standard at some places...