Campag mech/shifter compatibility

Old November 24th 03, 01:26 PM
Clive George

Default Campag mech/shifter compatibility

(expecting Pete Biggs to answer this one!)

What are the rules on campag 9 speed? Did the cable pull change at some
point, making old shifters incompatible with new mechs?
How do I identify old/new stuff (veloce)?

(oh - and what's the difference between the various current rear hubs?)

cheers,
clive

Old November 24th 03, 05:20 PM
Pete Biggs

Clive George wrote:
What are the rules on campag 9 speed? Did the cable pull change at
some point, making old shifters incompatible with new mechs?

Yes, Cable pull and rear mech geometry changed in 2001. Some people say
it doesn't matter but for best indexing performance, don't mix old and new
9-speed levers and rear mechs.

Pre 2001 9sp: 3.20mm cable pull per click, 1.43 ratio
2001+ 9sp: 3.05, 1.50
10sp: 2.76, 1.50 (therefore 10sp mechs are compatible with new 9sp levers
as far as indexing goes). There have been no cable pull changes with
10sp.

How do I identify old/new stuff (veloce)?

2001+ Veloce mechs have "VELOCE" marked in large print with "Campagnolo"
much smaller. Other way around for older ones (and I don't mean capitals
vs lower case).

2001+ Veloce Ergos are marked "VELOCE" large in black on the actual brake
lever. Older ones are plain.
Older levers can be converted to new 9sp or 10sp (although you have to
take into account that that costs money and you get brand new springs,
hoods and full cable set.with new Ergos). Some NOS pre 2001 mechs can
still be found.

(oh - and what's the difference between the various current rear
hubs?)

There are only two major current Campag types:

1. Record/Chorus/Centaur: Cup and ball bearings, oversized aluminium
axles, threadless cones with threaded adjusting collar (adjustment
possible on bike), all-replaceable parts, super light, same design that is
used in the top Campag race wheels.
Centaur same as Chorus except for q/r and requires screwdriver &
fingers/spanner instead of a single allen key to adjust bearings.
Record same as Chorus except for q/r and has grease ports and titanium
pawls instead of steel, and has a 28h option.

2. Veloce/Mirage: Non-adjustable maintenance-free cartridge bearings.
These are the same as each other except Veloce shell is more
polished and the (current) QR skewer nut is steel instead of partly
plastic.

Both types run smooth and are reliable in my experience so far. Both have
aluminium freewheel bodies.

See www.campagnolo.com/techinfo.php?did=c to compare part numbers.

~PB

Old November 24th 03, 05:35 PM
Clive George

"Pete Biggs" wrote in message

lots of useful stuff

Ta very much, that's just what I wanted to know.

cheers,
clive