Looking for "Chain-slap" solution...

Old February 19th 04, 03:26 AM
Bill Wheeler

Default Looking for "Chain-slap" solution...

On Tue, 17 Feb 2004 08:29:04 -0500, "Dan Volker"
wrote:

[snip chain slap crap]

The only possible solution I can think of is removing the Big ring from the
equation, and taking out several links--shortening the chain, in the hope
that this will mean less travel potential for the chain....I'd rather have a
better solution, and am hoping someone has one...

Dan, Dan, Dan, the best solution is right under your nose. You were
close when you mentioned removing the Big ring.

Convert your rig to a SS and start enjoying life.

Dan V

Peace,
Bill

Stop Dave from humping, send money to have him/her spayed or nuetered.
Old February 19th 04, 03:33 PM
Dan Volker

wrote:

[snip chain slap crap]

The only possible solution I can think of is removing the Big ring from

the
equation, and taking out several links--shortening the chain, in the hope
that this will mean less travel potential for the chain....I'd rather

have a
better solution, and am hoping someone has one...

Dan, Dan, Dan, the best solution is right under your nose. You were
close when you mentioned removing the Big ring.

Convert your rig to a SS and start enjoying life.

Dan V

Peace,
Bill

Bill, Bill, Bill, :-)
I have people I am beginning to enjoy riding with again, that are very fast
expert class racers, and they are riding on bikes like the Intense X-country
bike, and on Santa Cruz Blurs. You could put a top pro on a single speed,
and he would get smoked by these guys on the trails we ride--there is just
too much variability in the terrain and obstacles--some sections have to be
ridden in a very small gear in order to navigate extremely technical turns
with big roots, this followed immediately by 20 mph plus sections you can
haul ass on.
Single speeders would have no hope, except to keep up with the HFS
contingent ( Huge Fat Slobs) :-)

Regards,
Dan V

Old February 19th 04, 06:02 PM
Penny S

Dan Volker retorted :
wrote:

[...]

The gauntlet has been thrown.....

Old February 19th 04, 06:12 PM
Gman

On 17 Feb 2004 22:53:42 -0800, JD wrote:
Ride a singlespeed.

JD

Couldn't have teed that one up any better...

Old February 19th 04, 07:10 PM
JD

Dan Volker wrote:
I have people I am beginning to enjoy riding with again, that are very fast
expert class racers, and they are riding on bikes like the Intense X-country
bike, and on Santa Cruz Blurs. You could put a top pro on a single speed,
and he would get smoked by these guys on the trails we ride--there is just
too much variability in the terrain and obstacles--some sections have to be
ridden in a very small gear in order to navigate extremely technical turns
with big roots, this followed immediately by 20 mph plus sections you can
haul ass on.

You're in Florida, right? How inconsequential to anywhere with hills
or mountains, which is just about everywhere else.

JD
Old February 19th 04, 07:53 PM
Dan Volker

"JD" wrote in message
om...
Dan Volker wrote:
[...]

JD,
Unfortunately, I have to agree with that sentiment---I don't like Florida
trails..I like N.C and Georgia trails, if I was going to stereotype.
However, why not let me know about Norba National Cross Country races won
on a SS over all the other racers on bikes like the Santa Cruz and Intenses.
I don't see how it matters much, that some fit guy, on a single speeder,
can out ride a bunch of fat guys on hot bikes--its even more meaningless
than my geographic challenges.

If you like dueling it out with your friends on a trail, why shoot yourself
in the foot by getting a single speed bike ??
Regards,
Dan V

Old February 19th 04, 10:13 PM
JD

"Dan Volker" wrote in message news:
Unfortunately, I have to agree with that sentiment---I don't like Florida
trails..I like N.C and Georgia trails, if I was going to stereotype.
However, why not let me know about Norba National Cross Country races won
on a SS over all the other racers on bikes like the Santa Cruz and Intenses.
I don't see how it matters much, that some fit guy, on a single speeder,
can out ride a bunch of fat guys on hot bikes--its even more meaningless
than my geographic challenges.

What does NORBA have to do anything? Amateur racing is meaningless.
In fact, as far as the type of bicycle is concerned, professional
racing is meaningless as well. Will you ever get it that it's not the
bike, it's the rider?

If you like dueling it out with your friends on a trail, why shoot yourself
in the foot by getting a single speed bike ??

I agree, if you have limited bicycle handling skills. Again, it's not
about the bike, it's about the rider.

Please, stay on your oh-so-technical trails and avoid the West. It's
obviously not for you.

JD
Old February 20th 04, 12:19 AM
Bill Wheeler

[snip]
Single speeders would have no hope, except to keep up with the HFS
contingent ( Huge Fat Slobs) :-)

Ignorance is bliss I've heard.

Old February 20th 04, 01:09 AM
tcmedara

Bill Wheeler wrote:
Peace,
Bill

Stop Dave from humping, send money to have him/her spayed or nuetered.

maybe it's the drugs, but that sig is damn funny. please continue

Tom

Old February 20th 04, 01:51 AM
Dan Volker

"JD" wrote in message
om...
"Dan Volker" wrote in message news:

What does NORBA have to do anything? Amateur racing is meaningless.
In fact, as far as the type of bicycle is concerned, professional
racing is meaningless as well. Will you ever get it that it's not the
bike, it's the rider?

It has to do with hitting the highest speed possible at every moment--to
some people, this is fun--to me this is fun.
I can go much faster on constantly varrying terrain, with the ability to
shift into bigger or smaller gears as needed to hit the optimum speed.

If you like dueling it out with your friends on a trail, why shoot

yourself
in the foot by getting a single speed bike ??

I agree, if you have limited bicycle handling skills. Again, it's not
about the bike, it's about the rider.

I think you are dramatically overstating skills ---Florida riders do
extremely well in races all over the country, including all over the
west--so I don't think your skills idea holds water.
The speed would be the issue on the trails I care about--and that would be
influenced heavily by being able to shift.
In many of these trails, maximum speed on some trail sections could be 6
mph, on other sections max speed could be 16 mph, and on big flat sections
with high speed turns, it could be 25 mph. On the downhills the single
speeder can coast, but that would not keep him in the game with people well
set up and skilled for high speed downhills.

Regards,
Dan V

JD