Puncture-resistant sewups?

Old May 15th 06, 03:22 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

Default Puncture-resistant sewups?

So after going through 2 Vittoria Rallys with their joke of "Kevlar 3D
Compound" - one lasted about 100 miles before a 1" slice in the tread, the
other got a small puncture at 30 miles (I'll patch this one and keep it as
a spare) - I need to find a good flat-resistant sewup. I prefer black tread
and tan sidewall.

I've got a set of Panaracer Practice Dual TGs, but they have red tread and
look like a clown bike. I also see the Continental Sprinter Gatorskin, but
those sidewalls are darker than I like.

Any other suggestions?
Old May 15th 06, 06:53 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On Mon, 15 May 2006 09:22:00 -0500, Hank Wirtz wrote:

So after going through 2 Vittoria Rallys with their joke of "Kevlar 3D
Compound"

Those tires are junk. Not only does the "compound" do nother to stop
punctures, the casings are prone to breaking any time you run over a
pebble.

Any advantage you may find to riding tubular tires will be lost in a
"puncture-resistant" one. Decent tires would last much better than those
Vittorias, but will cost you. My advice is to either deal with the cost
and get the best tire you can find, or get a set of clincher wheels for
training and save the tubulars for races.

--

David L. Johnson

__o | It is probably that television drama of high caliber and
_`\(,_ | produced by first-rate artists will materially raise the level
(_)/ (_) | of dramatic taste in the nation. -- David Sarnoff, 1939

Old May 15th 06, 10:00 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

David L. Johnson wrote:
Any advantage you may find to riding tubular tires will be lost in a
"puncture-resistant" one. Decent tires would last much better than those
Vittorias, but will cost you. My advice is to either deal with the cost
and get the best tire you can find, or get a set of clincher wheels for
training and save the tubulars for races.

Another route is to go with tubular race and training wheels. Use the
high end tires for racing and when they flat, patch 'em and use 'em on
the training wheels. I've had this rotation going on for some time now.
I also get other folks cast off flats for patching. Sometimes they want
'em back but more often than not they don't.

Greg Hall

Best puncture resistant clincher tires [email protected] Techniques 34 March 20th 06 09:17 PM
Armadillo tyres puncture resistant? Ha! [email protected] UK 10 May 9th 05 06:20 PM
Puncture resistant tyres Julian UK 16 March 13th 04 10:19 AM
Puncture resistant tyre tubes Cicero UK 18 February 5th 04 11:07 AM
Latex tubes , Hold air longer and puncture resistant??? Robert Box Techniques 20 September 24th 03 04:05 PM