Helmet News

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old June 18th 18, 06:40 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Jeff Liebermann

Default Helmet News

On Mon, 18 Jun 2018 00:01:08 -0300, Joy Beeson
wrote:

I wonder whether there is still a category of hard hat called a "bump
cap"? Wikipedia said yes, but the link led to a page on which the
word "bump" does not appear. DuckDuckGo says that I can buy dozens of
different styles at Grainger.

They're very much still alive. I have one. Basically, a bump cap is
rather thin plastic safety helmet, sometimes with a cloth cover making
it look something like a very large baseball cap.
https://www.google.com/search?q=bump+cap&tbm=isch
https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_nkw=bump+cap
https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_nkw=bump+cap+baseball+-insert
They're not made to deflect falling objects, but rather to deal with
clumsy fools like me that have a tendency to smash into overhanging
construction elements. None of them are DOT, ECE, or SNELL rated. I
have no idea if they are suitable for bicycle riding. Probably not as
there's almost no ventilation and would probably be like wearing a
sauna.

--
Jeff Liebermann
150 Felker St #D

HELMET NEWS datakoll Techniques 0 May 7th 13 12:34 PM
Cyclists' helmet cameras (BBC 1 News, 1pm) brass monkey UK 0 February 2nd 11 12:29 AM
Great news on the helmet front! Squashme UK 0 May 15th 09 09:13 PM
In the News: Sizing up the sports helmet market Jason Spaceman Techniques 3 July 28th 08 12:35 AM
The anti Helmet on this news group gareth price UK 17 August 19th 06 04:32 PM