frame painting question

Old September 24th 03, 09:14 PM
Sticker Jim

Default frame painting question

After shooting the paint job on my first two trikes, I took the last
two I built to powder coat places and let them coat my frames in
plastic. Very happy with the jobs and the powder coat is multitudes
tougher than even the multiple coats of epoxy I put on them myself.
The Mk I and Battleship were painted by me. The Mk III and IV were
powder coated.

Pics are he http://jkcc.com/speednviolence/bikes/

What great craftsmanship! Really. I've built a few trikes and know how it
sometimes seems that all the planning breaks down to sticking things on
because "Oops, I mis-measured" or "Hmmm, forgot about THAT thing!"
I wish I had a locl powder coater that did frames that cheap. Here it is
about U$130 - 200, with a very limited color choice.

Happy trails,
rorschandt
http://pictures.care2.com/view/1/174801833

Did you build the Tulpa? It looks pretty cool. I was toying with the idea
of A arm full suspension on a trike too, but it seemed a little over my head
at the present. I like the front end, and I like the seat too. Looks
pretty swanky.

There are 2 powder coat shops I know of. Both do a basic single coat job on
a trike for $60 Cdn. The dual coat candy apple purple was $80 Cdn. The one
powder coat place does big production runs but they will hang you bike parts
up with the rest of the production run, and only charge $60 for it. Maybe
down where you are, there might be a shop that does production runs too and
they might consent to hanging your work up in the runs like the guys up here
too. The only drawback, is you have to take the colour they are shooting at
the time. No big deal for me - especially for only $60.

Old September 25th 03, 04:30 PM
rorschandt

"Sticker Jim" wrote in
news
[...]

Thanks. Yes, I did build it. That was before I discovered just how thin of
tubing was strong enough. I've a tendency to overbuild things. The original
rod/lever steering worked well with the suspension, the newer more
conventional handlebar style causes problems with suspension and alignment.
I am considering a re-design and rebuild over the winter. It will also help
prevent me from going insane during "The Season of Death and Gloom".

As for the powder coat "color of the day" technique, it does save money. I
really prefer brighter colors for asthetic and safety reasons. Most of the
powder coaters here are using dingy colors, gray and black; don't want the
bike to blend in with the pavement. Haven't checked around in a while, I'll
do that.

happy trails,
rorschandt

--