Volae Club

Old September 27th 03, 12:04 AM
PJ

Default Volae Club

(Bill B) wrote in message . com...
(PJ) wrote in message . com...
franksapper wrote in message ...
I am considering looking at the Volae Club, sold by the Hostel Shoppe in
Wisconsin. Does anyone have any information pertaining to this bike. Do
you like it? What do you like about it? Are there other recumbents that
are comprable this bike. Is this a fair price? thanks for any info.

frank:

First the required acknowledgement....I am a Strada owner.....more
accurately very happy Strada owner and quite recently my wife also
became a happy Bacchetta owner with the purchase of a Giro.

Now that that is out of the way. I purchased my Strada prior to the
Volae coming on line but the Vision Sabre was available at the time.
One of the reasons that I chose the Strada over the Sabre was the fact
that the Strada and Corsa are more versatile than either the Volae's
or the Sabre. I currently have my Strada set up with the M5 carbon
seat and a pair of very light 650c wheels and tires, with the weight
coming in at about 26 lbs. It is my summer, nice weather, speed
oriented ride.

Following a metric century this Sunday and with the upcoming change in
weather, I will swap the 650 wheels and tires for the 559 wheels with
the one inch Specialize tires and put a set of fenders on the bike for
wet weather rides or even commutes. And because I will use it for
commutes during the winter I will most likely switch back to to the
Bacchetta mesh seat which allows for a more upright rider position and
better city/traffic handling. All of the above changes to accomodate
wet weather riding, cannot be made with either of the dual 26 inch
wheeled bikes from Volae or Vision. Wider tires, fenders and a more
upright seating position are not an option for the Volae or Sabre.
However with the Corsa/Sabre you can either dress them up or down
based upon your needs and riding environment.

The Bacchetta guys are great to work with. You won't find a more
committed group. They focus on taking care of the customer and
collectively are perhaps the most knowledgeable group within the
recumbent industry.

Pat McShane

Pat McShane. You just helped me decide to go with a Strada. I was
almost ready to order a Volae Club or Team but after reading your
comments I have decided to go the Strada route that you took. Two
seats two sets of wheels make for a very versatile bike. 26lbs in the
go fast mode is just fine with me. Not knocking the Volae but I do
think having a do it all bike is a good idea

Bill

Persoanlly I like having one bike that is very versatile over owning
two with more limiations. With one bike, you don't have to readjust
to different riding positions, you can keep one set of pedals on the
bike, and with all of your riding time on one bike as opposed to two,
you really learn to feel comfortable on that bike. Both the Volae's
and the Bacchettas are great bikes for their intended purposes.
However I think the Strada/Corsa are the more versatile bikes that can
serve dual uses. I have no doubt that you will enjoy the Strada.

Pat
Old September 27th 03, 04:39 PM
cbb

The Strada can mount fenders but it is a tight fit with the standard
fork. Ofcourse you can always swap the fork.
Actually I chose the Strada because I wanted a fast laid back bike
that could take fenders and I felt visible in traffic. I tried out
some of the Challenge bikes which are much better set up for commuting
but felt that the Hurricane was too low and the Mistral felt much
heavier and slower.
Craig

(Don) wrote in message . com...
Harry, good points. Actually, I do not think it is possible to put
fenders on the Corsa or Aero. They have minimal clearance front
forks. Not sure about the Strada. The Giro was designed as the
commute/touring model. It can be tricked out as a lighter, faster
bike. That is what I did with my frame set.

Old September 28th 03, 12:00 AM
Marc Rosenbaum

Hello folks

I just got on my brand new Volae Club LX today for the first time. I
also was interested in the versatility issue, although fenders is not
so much an issue for me. I am happy to report that I can fit a 559
front wheel with a Conti GP 25-559 tire on it into the Alpha Pro fork
with as much clearance, maybe a tad more, than the Spartacus Pro
23-571 that comes with the LX. The 105 brake needs a tiny bit more
reach, like a 1/16 inch. I can't imagine that one can't find a brake
that will fit this bike and allow both 559 and 571 wheels to fit. The
rear probably has the same brake reach issue but looks to have more
clearance for tires. My 26 rear is a 135 axle so I didn't try it. IN
any case, I think the Volaes will have more flexibility than may be at
first glance.

Marc Rosenbaum

Old September 28th 03, 02:59 PM
Warren Berger

Marc,

I can't imagine that one can't find a brake that will fit this bike and allow both 559 and 571 wheels to fit.

You are absolutely right. Don't let hysterical doomsayers get to you.

http://www.sheldonbrown.com/harris/brakes.html#calipers

Warren
Old September 28th 03, 11:42 PM
Don

Marc, You know that other board you have been hanging out at? Well,
they have both been there and done that. The answer is there. It can
be done. Sorry I can not rember which brake brand/model they used. I
have a Giro so I did not pay attention. Try a search on the Yahoo
Bacchetta forum. Don

Christian Cycling Club? Ro Racing 2 May 3rd 04 06:24 AM
Volae Team Tire Fits Dan Kluckhuhn Recumbent Biking 6 July 23rd 03 10:45 PM