Texas Hill Country River Region Bicycle Classic

Old September 29th 03, 09:33 PM
Mike

Default Texas Hill Country River Region Bicycle Classic

Has anyone ridden the Texas Hill Country River Region Bicycle Classic
on a recumbent? (http://www.thcrr.com/classic.htm)

They have 32, 52, 65, and 100 miles outings. The 52 and 100 loops are
rated (by TMCRR) as "10" and the 65 only "6". I'm coming from a 2D
town and am wondering how intense a Hill Country 10 is . . . will I
still be able to dance Saturday night?

Thanks,
Mike
Old September 29th 03, 11:50 PM
JEGARH

will I still be able to dance Saturday night?

Mike,

I have been riding that area for years. The climbs are quite memorable.

On one of the big climbs out of Vanderpool I saw a couple on a Santana
Tandem flop over ala "Artie " on Laugh-in.

I remarked smugly as I passed, "Ran out of gears?".

I continued to climb and about 1/4 mile later I did the same thing.

On some of those climbs walking is not such a bad thing.

Coming down is something else. You are in a virtual state of "freefall".
I don't know if I could have gone any faster on my Trek 1500 if I had
been dropped out of an airplane. At 57 mph I started worrying about the
23mm tire that stood between me and death or worse, survival. It would
have been a world class case of road rash. Discretion took hold and I
staightened up and settled for a more reasonable 45 mph.

47 mph is as much as I have done on the Barcroft Dakota. Not keen
to exceed that. Things start to happen TOO quickly for my 65 yr
old reflexes

Now that I have a GRR and I expect great things out of myself. I
should me able to climb and descend like a mountain goat or at any
rate smell like one.

Jerry

Old September 30th 03, 02:37 AM
PreciousBbird

This sounds like great fun! I am going to mark my calendar and try to do
it next year. It gets kinda chilly up here in Minnesota about then...I
would love to see how fast my HepCat can go on some big downhills.