Trailer muddy from rear wheel?

Old May 10th 06, 12:57 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling,rec.bicycles.tech

Default Trailer muddy from rear wheel?

Hello

I've about to order a CarryFreedom City trailer and think it's going to get
very dirty from spray from the bike's rear wheel. I'm thinking I'll attach a
long mud flap to the rear wheel mudguard. On my folding Brompton I might
make it removable, so it doesn't get clobbered when folding.

Something like this, but removable, perhaps tied around the mudguard stays:
http://www.biketrax.co.uk/products.p...d=m6b8s160p225

What do y'all do with dirt on the trailer? Is it a problem? With the trailer
I just ordered I imagine it's a problem if it's dirty and you want to use in
backpack/rucksack mode.

--
Erik Sandblom
my site is EriksRailNews.com

Old May 10th 06, 09:35 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling,rec.bicycles.tech

in message , Erik Sandblom
') wrote:

I've about to order a CarryFreedom City trailer and think it's going to
get very dirty from spray from the bike's rear wheel. I'm thinking I'll
attach a long mud flap to the rear wheel mudguard. On my folding
Brompton I might make it removable, so it doesn't get clobbered when
folding.

Something like this, but removable, perhaps tied around the mudguard
stays: http://www.biketrax.co.uk/products.p...d=m6b8s160p225

What do y'all do with dirt on the trailer? Is it a problem? With the
trailer I just ordered I imagine it's a problem if it's dirty and you
want to use in backpack/rucksack mode.

I've never had one you could use in backpack mode. My trailer had a
sturdy, waterproof back, which you could hose or sponge down; I usually
didn't have any mudguards on the bike. A clean every so often seemed to
do it fine.

Age equals angst multiplied by the speed of fright squared.
;; the Worlock
Old May 10th 06, 10:52 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling,rec.bicycles.tech

Erik Sandblom wrote:
Hello

I've about to order a CarryFreedom City trailer and think it's going to get
very dirty from spray from the bike's rear wheel. I'm thinking I'll attach a
long mud flap to the rear wheel mudguard. On my folding Brompton I might
make it removable, so it doesn't get clobbered when folding.

I found that spray from the unguarded trailer wheels was also an issue
in the rain on my kid trailer. I created a rear mudflap from a heinz
salad cream bottle (ie quite heavy polythene) which I pop rivetted
witha single rivet. After cutting it down until it no longer flapped
at speed I can now rotate the flap up in line with the mudguard to move
it out of the way.

Another problem is that under heavy braking the trailer can push
forward into the rear tire. I have never been aware of this happening
but there are a couple of scuffs on the front of the trailer where the
trailer fabric has worn through

best wishes
james