stop all bike paths etc please!!

Old November 26th 07, 03:36 PM posted to nyc.bicycles,rec.bicycles.misc,rec.bicycles.soc,alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent
vey

Default stop all bike paths etc please!!

tam wrote:

A few years ago I flew into Orlando airport to trike around Florida camping.
After 400 miles I gave up and got a rental car.
My experience of triking on the roads and paths was stressfull and
dangerous-to me.

Did you write about your Florida experience? If not, I wish you would.
Old November 28th 07, 06:14 PM posted to nyc.bicycles,rec.bicycles.misc,rec.bicycles.soc,alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent
tam

"vey" wrote in message
tam wrote:

A few years ago I flew into Orlando airport to trike around Florida
camping.
After 400 miles I gave up and got a rental car.
My experience of triking on the roads and paths was stressfull and
dangerous-to me.

Did you write about your Florida experience? If not, I wish you would.

Do nt think I did unless it was on the IHPV trikes board.
Quite happy to give a general outline here-but-do nt want to look up my
detailed route.
It was a failure anyway-well after 400 miles that is.
My equipment functioned superbly tho quite happy to detail that tho the
Spacepacker tent was not racoon proof.
Tam

Old November 28th 07, 06:24 PM posted to nyc.bicycles,rec.bicycles.misc,rec.bicycles.soc,alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent
vey

tam wrote:
"vey" wrote in message
tam wrote:

A few years ago I flew into Orlando airport to trike around Florida
camping.
After 400 miles I gave up and got a rental car.
My experience of triking on the roads and paths was stressfull and
dangerous-to me.

Did you write about your Florida experience? If not, I wish you would.

Do nt think I did unless it was on the IHPV trikes board.
Quite happy to give a general outline here-but-do nt want to look up my
detailed route.
It was a failure anyway-well after 400 miles that is.
My equipment functioned superbly tho quite happy to detail that tho the
Spacepacker tent was not racoon proof.
Tam

I just want to know the details of why you quit.
Old November 28th 07, 08:22 PM posted to nyc.bicycles,rec.bicycles.misc,rec.bicycles.soc,alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent
tam

A few years ago I flew into Orlando airport to trike around Florida
camping.
After 400 miles I gave up and got a rental car.
My experience of triking on the roads and paths was stressfull and
dangerous-to me.
Did you write about your Florida experience? If not, I wish you would.

Do nt think I did unless it was on the IHPV trikes board.
Quite happy to give a general outline here-but-do nt want to look up my
detailed route.
It was a failure anyway-well after 400 miles that is.
My equipment functioned superbly tho quite happy to detail that tho the
Spacepacker tent was not racoon proof.
Tam

I just want to know the details of why you quit.

It was really a cultural expectation thing.

I had several years experience of cycle travel in Europe and I expected a
similar experience.
A fairly relaxed cycle punctuated with the usuall mostly enjoyable
encounters with the natives.
I failed to appreciate that the car in Florida is ubiquitous it permeates
everything and is everywhere-always.
The exception of course is to get an SUV drive out to bike paths cycle and
drive home.
My early experiences were cycling on narrow roads with light
traffic-although that traffic-often wanted my bit of road
they let me know that by honking their horn and driving perilously close.
Another homicidal behavour was car drivers failure to observe the right turn
law ie I am going ahead on green on the ped.crossing
they are turning right on green on to my crossing-they must wait for me!!.
Of course they do nt-very dangerous and stressfull.
My cycling ended on the fifth day- cycling during the evening rush hour on
the pavement-it ended and we cycled in the road
traffic was very aggresive honking horns driving within inches.
It seemed to me that the drivers were unaware that cyclists could share
"their" road.
I hired a car the next day and carried on around the coast with the trike in
the back.
All my trips have been in cycle friendly Europe since.
Next one is up the Outer Hebrides by ferry and bike.
Just waiting on a good forecast for three days!!.
Tam

Old November 29th 07, 12:57 AM posted to nyc.bicycles,rec.bicycles.misc,rec.bicycles.soc,alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent
Tom Sherman[_2_]

tam wrote:
[...]

In the more civilized Upper Midwest, motorized fecal matter brains are
much less common than what Tam encountered. I say we give Florida (and
its residents) back to Spain.

Raccoons are cute, but persistent scavengers.

"Localized intense suction such as tornadoes is created when temperature
differences are high enough between meeting air masses, and can impart
excessive energy onto a cyclist." - Randy Schlitter
Old November 29th 07, 02:23 AM posted to nyc.bicycles,rec.bicycles.misc,rec.bicycles.soc,alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent
vey

Tom Sherman wrote:
tam wrote:
[...]

Huh. I wonder what all those OH10 plates are doing here? They must lose
their minds as soon as they cross the Mason-Dixon.
Old November 29th 07, 02:33 AM posted to nyc.bicycles,rec.bicycles.misc,rec.bicycles.soc,alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent
Tom Sherman[_2_]

Eric Vey wrote:
Tom Sherman wrote:

In the more civilized Upper Midwest, motorized fecal matter brains are
much less common than what Tam encountered. I say we give Florida (and
its residents) back to Spain.

Raccoons are cute, but persistent scavengers.

Huh. I wonder what all those OH10 plates are doing here? They must lose
their minds as soon as they cross the Mason-Dixon.

I would be happy to let all the states south of the Mason-Dixon line
secede, and all the people who want a faith based theocracy could move
there.

Old November 29th 07, 02:39 AM posted to nyc.bicycles,rec.bicycles.misc,rec.bicycles.soc,alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent
Edward Dolan

"Tom Sherman" wrote in message
tam wrote:
[...]

Everything Tam says about roads in Florida is only too true. Even the back
roads are unrideable because of all the traffic. Only bike paths work in
Florida.

Regards,

Ed Dolan the Great - Minnesota
aka

Old November 29th 07, 04:27 AM posted to nyc.bicycles,rec.bicycles.misc,rec.bicycles.soc,alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent
Edward Dolan

Eric Vey wrote:
Tom Sherman wrote:

In the more civilized Upper Midwest, motorized fecal matter brains are
much less common than what Tam encountered. I say we give Florida (and
its residents) back to Spain.

[...]
Huh. I wonder what all those OH10 plates are doing here? They must lose
their minds as soon as they cross the Mason-Dixon.

I would be happy to let all the states south of the Mason-Dixon line
secede, and all the people who want a faith based theocracy could move
there.

The Civil War settled that issue (Southern succession) for all time.
However, the nation is breaking up due to mass immigration (most of it
illegal) that is now taking place, something no doubt that Mr. Sherman and
all his liberal ilk approve of.

The golden age of America is behind her (the 50s). We were one nation then.
Now we are becoming many and quite separate nations. America will go out
with a whimper (like the Soviet Union), not a roar.

Old November 29th 07, 02:10 PM posted to nyc.bicycles,rec.bicycles.misc,rec.bicycles.soc,alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent
vey

Tom Sherman wrote:
Eric Vey wrote:
Tom Sherman wrote:

In the more civilized Upper Midwest, motorized fecal matter brains
are much less common than what Tam encountered. I say we give Florida
(and its residents) back to Spain.

Raccoons are cute, but persistent scavengers.

Huh. I wonder what all those OH10 plates are doing here? They must
lose their minds as soon as they cross the Mason-Dixon.

I would be happy to let all the states south of the Mason-Dixon line
secede, and all the people who want a faith based theocracy could move
there.

B-b-but where would all the people with OH10 plates go to get away from
the lake effect snow? Are you aware that the fellow who opened up the
South to auto traffic was from Indiana?
http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/amex/miami/

Southerners have been doing their best to stop the multitudes he lured
down here on the Dixie Highway, but they failed. Going back to the 20's,
crooked auto mechanics, the smell of "bald" peanuts and speed traps just
didn't work. Folks have more money than sense.

stop all bike paths etc please!! Prisoner at War General 165 December 12th 07 10:13 PM
stop all bike paths etc please!! Prisoner at War Social Issues 163 December 12th 07 10:13 PM
A10 bike paths Clive George UK 3 August 14th 07 11:15 AM
LAB and bike paths Veloise General 14 October 15th 05 04:32 PM
bike paths Cully_J Recumbent Biking 2 August 24th 05 03:28 AM