Aero Bars

Old January 23rd 08, 04:47 AM posted to aus.bicycle
Steve Ball[_2_]

Default Aero Bars

I took up cycling when I took up triathlon, and have a road bike fitted with
aero bars. Lately, I've been looking to do more riding, so I joined a bike
club so that I could ride on the roads in the (relative) safety of a bunch.

I completely understand not using the aeros when bunch riding, because you
can't brake quickly, plus stability is compromised. However, riding with a
bunch this morning someone told me I should remove them because they're
"quite dangerous". This is a point of view I've never encountered before
and, having now spent a bit of time at Google, I haven't encountered it
anywhere on the net, either.

Does anyone here have an opinion one way or the other?
--
Thanks in advance,
Steve = : ^ )

Old January 23rd 08, 05:06 AM posted to aus.bicycle
barry taylor

:
: I completely understand not using the aeros when bunch riding,
because you
: can't brake quickly, plus stability is compromised. However, riding
with a
: bunch this morning someone told me I should remove them because
they're
: "quite dangerous".

well I for one wouldn't want you riding anywhere near me in a bunch
whether racing or club/bunch riding

a. your ability to manouvre is restricted while on the aero bars
so take them off when you ride in a group

b. you can't see what's happening in the bunch/group around you while
on the bars
so take them off before the group decides that you are a liability

c: thank you very much but I wouldn't you crashing into me or falling
onto me with those bars
so take them off when you ride in a group

:This is a point of view I've never encountered before
: and, having now spent a bit of time at Google, I haven't encountered
it
: anywhere on the net, either.

you haven't been group riding before and you are not likely to find
any discussions about the pros and cons of aero bars and group riding
because AFAIK aero bars are banned in any form of competitive cycling
except for TT - and one of the reasons why drafting is verboten in
Triathlon in some competitions

: Does anyone here have an opinion one way or the other?

just don't use them for bunch/group riding

: --
: Thanks in advance,
: Steve = : ^ )

--

---

a friendly growl from the bear on the Zephyr that roars

__ __ __ _ __
/__/ / /__/ /_ /_\ /_ /
/_ / _ / /__/ /__ / \ / \ ....Kawasaki Zephyr

barry j taylor
Ulysses #25871: netrider #549
Skype: ursusaustralis

~~~ ~ _@
~~ ~ _- \,
~~ (*)/ (*) . . . bjbear on his treadly

Old January 23rd 08, 05:35 AM posted to aus.bicycle
Zebee Johnstone

In aus.bicycle on Wed, 23 Jan 2008 15:47:00 +1100
Steve Ball wrote:

I completely understand not using the aeros when bunch riding, because you
can't brake quickly, plus stability is compromised. However, riding with a
bunch this morning someone told me I should remove them because they're
"quite dangerous". This is a point of view I've never encountered before

I think the problem is they stick out. Like horns.

Also, until they know you well, they can't really trust you not to use
them.

Zebee
Old January 23rd 08, 10:43 AM posted to aus.bicycle
gplama[_224_]

Zebee Johnstone Wrote:
I think the problem is they stick out. Like horns.

Doesn't hold - standard levers 'stick out'.. and if things protruding
forward is an issue, then don't look how far out a front wheel sticks
out! Think about how many times people have invaded the space in front
of your handle bars... and you've lived to tell the tale. Sideways
bumps, yep... bar hookups...almost a few times.. but impaling someone on
TT bars... never!

Sounds like the roadie policeman was enforcing the law on 'what he had
heard' not what he knew.

Just my 2c...

Lama

--
gplama

Old January 23rd 08, 11:33 AM posted to aus.bicycle
DaveB[_2_]

barry taylor wrote:

a. your ability to manouvre is restricted while on the aero bars
so take them off when you ride in a group

b. you can't see what's happening in the bunch/group around you while
on the bars
so take them off before the group decides that you are a liability

c: thank you very much but I wouldn't you crashing into me or falling
onto me with those bars
so take them off when you ride in a group

He's already said he understands not using them in a group, so all
you're worried about is being impaled. I reckon there's much bigger
concerns thatn that out there on the road.

DaveB
Old January 23rd 08, 12:40 PM posted to aus.bicycle
barry taylor

"DaveB" wrote in message
u...
: barry taylor wrote:
:
[...]

so the original poster asked for comments on the "quite dangerous"
aspect of using aero bars

"Does anyone here have an opinion one way or the other?"

and my opinion was offered

: He's already said he understands not using them in a group, so all
: you're worried about is being impaled

and I would also be worried about him taking my back wheel out

---

Old January 23rd 08, 04:00 PM posted to aus.bicycle
dabac[_115_]

Steve Ball Wrote:
...I completely understand not using the aeros when bunch riding,
because you can't brake quickly,

There are brake levers that are compatible with areo bars, that should
help with that particular issue. 'Here's'
(http://jtekengineering.com/AeroBrake.htm) one for instance.

--
dabac

Old January 23rd 08, 07:38 PM posted to aus.bicycle
ritcho[_20_]

barry taylor

[snip Wrote:

so the original poster asked for comments on the "quite dangerous"
aspect of using aero bars

"Does anyone here have an opinion one way or the other?"

and my opinion was offered

: He's already said he understands not using them in a group, so all
: you're worried about is being impaled

and I would also be worried about him taking my back wheel out

I believe you misunderstood the original poster. The OP's riding mate
was not only objecting to the use of aero bars in a group, but also to
the mere presence of aero bars on the bike. There is no danger posed by
the presence of aero bars so the call to remove them for riding in
groups is groundless.

The use of aero bars in groups is _extremely_ dangerous... it is
possible the riding mate is worried the OP might be tempted to use the
bars when riding in a group and that it would be better to remove the
temptation.

Ritch

--
ritcho

Old January 23rd 08, 08:16 PM posted to aus.bicycle
MikeyOz[_268_]

Depends on the type of Aero Bars they are talking about also, are they
the clip on types ?? If so I don't really see the issue, although if
there is a stack they could suddenly turn into lethal weapons, then of
course there are the full on wider than normal, fully integrated headset
type aero bars and they have no place in an organized group ride.

I just wouldn't ride in a group ride with them on, just causes less
angst concern in the group, think about the other people instead of the,
It will be alright, I know what I am doing, attitude.

--
MikeyOz

Old January 23rd 08, 09:09 PM posted to aus.bicycle
Donga

On Jan 23, 8:43 pm, gplama gplama.33m...@no-
mx.forums.cyclingforums.com wrote:
Zebee Johnstone Wrote:

I think the problem is they stick out. Like horns.

Doesn't hold - standard levers 'stick out'.. and if things protruding
forward is an issue, then don't look how far out a front wheel sticks
out! Think about how many times people have invaded the space in front
of your handle bars... and you've lived to tell the tale. Sideways
bumps, yep... bar hookups...almost a few times.. but impaling someone on
TT bars... never!

Sounds like the roadie policeman was enforcing the law on 'what he had
heard' not what he knew.

Just my 2c...

Lama

--
gplama

Anyone got the CA race rules handy? I recall that you are not allowed
to have chopped road bars either - presumably because they point
forward and might hook someone - mihgt sound far-fetched but if it's
the rules ...

Donga

aero bars on wing handle bars Josh Techniques 1 January 30th 06 09:48 PM
clip on Aero Bars for carbon drop bars Dan Techniques 42 August 22nd 05 09:40 PM
FA GT Time Trial Bike - one of the most Aero of Diamond Frames - Dura Ace - Vision Tech Aero Bars - Ending Soon Mac Marketplace 0 January 3rd 05 06:05 PM
WTB: Aero Bars LT Australia 2 May 20th 04 10:14 PM
aero-bars.. erics UK 3 May 5th 04 06:10 PM