A grim reminder why ride a recumbent.

Old August 18th 03, 02:56 AM
EZ Biker :-\)

Default A grim reminder why ride a recumbent.

Edward, I'm happy to report that the bicycle events I attend around here in
South Florida "All" do require the use of a helmet - or you don't
participate in the event.
Even the impromptu Banzi Group, I use to ride with on the weekends, will
harass a helmet-less rider enough, that they will finally relent and wear a
helmet.
In my major vehicle accident years ago (That screwed up my back) the top of
my head hit the middle trim on the caddy, that I flipped over onto. My
helmet was smashed; but it could have been my head. On my GRR Ti crash a few
years ago, where I blew out a front tire and careened into a curve, my head
glanced off that curb. With no helmet; I'd surely sustained a concussion.
Helmets (Although not 100% goof proof) do give a rider a hedge from
sustaining serious head injuries.
EZ Biker :-) Pompano Beach, Fl. (GRR Ti and SOON, Bacchetta Aero Pilot)

"Edward Wong" wrote in message
om...

Thank goodness our club demands the use of approved helmets. I can't
even begin to imagine how much more devastating the injuries would
have been...
Edward Wong
Orlando, FL

Old August 18th 03, 03:44 AM
Tom Thompson

"Fabrizio Mazzoleni" wrote in message
. ca...

Edward Wong wrote in message

. ..

Next time someone asks you questions about your bent and why you ride
one, be sure to highlight the safety advantages of a recumbent. You
could be doing someone and yourself a great service.

The problem with you types is that because you look
so silly on those contraptions you will never get the
privilege of riding with top quality roadies such as
myself.

The only cyclists who would been seen anywhere near
you are the squirrelly lower class road riders, not anyone
I would let ride with me.

Believe me, guys like me when riding in a group are
very safe and under control even though we are moving
faster than you could image.

As I've stated in here before, please stay out of our way
when out on the road, we are doing a planned training
session and demand respect from you.

Fab,

Long time no hear from. You need to stop by more often and lend us your
wisdom.. We have an imitator here, but he has no imagination and cannot seem
to get past "jackass" and "idiot" in his trolls - especially when someone
nails him on one of his many inconsistencies. Perhaps with more exposure to
you, he will get better.

Tom Thompson

Old August 18th 03, 04:19 AM
Bubalo Sacat

"Tom Thompson" wrote

nothing of note plonk!

"Fabrizio Mazzoleni" wrote

childish blabber plonk!

Edward Wong wrote

childish blabber plonk!

"Edward Dolan" wrote

way too much off topic topics plonk!

"The conspiracy of ignorance masquerades as common sense"

Elivis Prestly - August 17, 1974

---

Old August 18th 03, 05:04 AM
Fabrizio Mazzoleni

Zippy the Pinhead wrote in message ...

Hey, Fabbie, what do you call Mr. Rodriguez when you're hanging out
with the riders from Vini Caldirola?

Look, ok so his name is Fredy, you types may
have heard of him called Fast Fredy but his
peers such as me don't use that term on him.

Old August 18th 03, 05:32 AM
Edward Dolan

"Tom Thompson" wrote in message ...

Fab,

Long time no hear from. You need to stop by more often and lend us your
wisdom.. We have an imitator here, but he has no imagination and cannot seem
to get past "jackass" and "idiot" in his trolls - especially when someone
nails him on one of his many inconsistencies. Perhaps with more exposure to
you, he will get better.

Tom Thompson

Consistency is the hobgoblin of small minds. I would never call Fab an
idiot or a jackass because he clearly is not, but you of the double
Toms clearly are. Fab is a one-note Johnny and he has perfected that
one note, but I am a man of many notes. I find that quantity is the
secret to posting on this newsgroup because of all the idiots and
jackasses to be found here. Quality posts are wasted on them.

By the way TT, when are you going to learn how to edit a post?

Ed Dolan - Minnesota

Old August 18th 03, 08:40 AM
Edward Wong

I respectfully disagree that neither of these accidents illustrate an
advantage of riding a recumbent. IMO, they only illustrate the
possible dire consequences of not paying complete attention to what
one is doing. I will admit that most recumbents do put the rider in a
position that offers a more upright head position. However, that
alone does not automatically insure more safety. A momentary lapse of
attention can be disasterous, whatever the head position, especially
when in a situation as that you descibed, heavy, two way bike traffic
on a narrow trail shared with other riders, walkers, joggers and
roller bladers. Having one's head up and looking straight ahead does
not even guarantee that one will not have a momentary lapse of
attention and a fraction of a second is all it takes to cause an
accident.

I am certainly sorry your friend was hurt and pray that he will
recovery fully. However, I sincerely believe that his accident was
caused by his own inattentiveness, which could have also occurred on a
bent, with the same results.

Harry Jiles

Harry,

Thank you for your input. Yes, inattentiveness can get you in trouble
no matter what type of bike you ride and as I stated in another post
in this very same thread, we are not invincible regardless of our
choice of steed. However, the recumbent minimizes the chance of an
accident of this nature happening in the first place and should it
occur anyway, the riding position gives the bent rider an edge of not
suffering as serious injuries. You are seated much closer to the
ground and further back from the front of the bicycle. The fall from
the higher seat of a road bike especially if you are thrown over the
handlebar is more devastating. This is just physics and a real
characteristic of the dynamics of both types of bicycles.

The purpose of this thread is not to bash uprights or pace line racing
tatics and I want to stop this right now before this topic degenerates
to that. A human being I know was seriously injured on Saturday and I
have no desire to get on the soap box so to speak and preach
recumbents to anyone. That's my position. Again thank you for
participating and giving your opinion.

Edward Wong
Orlando, FL