justice for death of a fellow two wheeler

Old December 9th 03, 09:09 AM
DH

Default justice for death of a fellow two wheeler

http://abcnews.go.com/wire/Politics/ap20031209_223.html

FLANDREAU, S.D. Dec. 9 — Rep. Bill Janklow planned the official close of
his political career to coincide with his sentencing in the traffic death
of a motorcyclist, a decision that also means the special election to fill
his seat will be held during South Dakota's June 1 primary.
Janklow, a dominating force in South Dakota politics for 30 years,
appeared stunned as the verdict was read Monday: guilty of second-degree
manslaughter, reckless driving, running a stop sign and speeding for an
Aug. 16 crash that killed Hardwick, Minn., motorcyclist Randy Scott, 55.

Within two hours, Janklow announced his resignation.

"I wish to inform you that because of present circumstances, I will be
unable to perform the duties incumbent on me in representing the people of
South Dakota as their U.S. representative," Janklow, 64, wrote in a letter
to be delivered Tuesday to House Speaker Dennis Hastert.

"Therefore I wish to inform you that I will resign from the House of
Representatives, effective Jan. 20, 2004."

That's the same day he's scheduled to be sentenced.

Second-degree manslaughter carries a maximum penalty of 10 years in prison
and a $10,000 fine. The conviction would have prompted an investigation
from the U.S. House ethics committee without the resignation.

Monday's events put pressure on former U.S. Rep. John Thune, considered
the GOP's most formidable potential candidate, to decide whether to run
for the Senate or House, analysts said.

The timing of Janklow's resignation means the special election to fill the
House vacancy will be held in conjunction with South Dakota's June 1
primary. Both parties must nominate candidates by April 6.

Democrat Stephanie Herseth, who lost to Janklow in 2002, said in October
she intends to run for the House again but won't make a formal
announcement until after the first of the year.

Some Republicans want Thune to run for Janklow's seat instead of the U.S.
Senate because they believe he stands a better chance against Herseth than
against Senate Democratic Leader Tom Daschle, whose seat is up for
election in 2004.

After Monday's verdict, Janklow hurried out of the courthouse to a waiting
vehicle and refused to answer questions. None of the lawyers would
comment, nor would Janklow's son, Russ, who has served as the family's
spokesman.

The defense has about a month to appeal.

Outside the courtroom, Marcella Scott, the victim's mother, said she was
satisfied with the verdict.

A statement released by the Scott family said, in part, "We are satisfied
that the correct verdict was reached. The cause of Randy's death is no
longer in dispute. ... We will continue the difficult process of coming to
terms with Randy's death."

Janklow won statewide office six times and lost just one election, a 1986
U.S. Senate primary. He served as South Dakota's governor for 16 years
before being elected to the House in 2002.

Janklow's lawyer wanted jurors to convict his client of two minor traffic
charges and acquit him of second-degree manslaughter and reckless driving.
The defense said at the time of the crash, Janklow was having a diabetic
episode.

But prosecutors Roger Ellyson said Janklow's driving was like "a deadly
game of Russian roulette. On August 16, Randy Scott took the bullet."

Jim and Dorothy Anderson of Miller said Janklow did the right thing in
resigning. They, like many others who reacted to Janklow's convictions,
doubt he will spend any time in prison.

Dorothy Anderson said she thinks Gov. Mike Rounds should pardon Janklow
because he has been publicly disgraced and that is punishment enough.

"I think Governor Rounds should pardon him because he didn't go out and
deliberately do this," she said. "Things can happen. That's why they're
called accidents."

When asked, Rounds said late Monday night that he has a policy of refusing
to consider pardon requests within the first year of a conviction because
the courts retain jurisdiction during that time. A circuit judge could
modify the sentence, he said.

Old December 9th 03, 06:22 PM
Edward Dolan

"DH" wrote in message ...

http://abcnews.go.com/wire/Politics/ap20031209_223.html

FLANDREAU, S.D. Dec. 9 ? Rep. Bill Janklow planned the official close of
his political career to coincide with his sentencing in the traffic death
of a motorcyclist,...

DH, are you from this neck of the woods? Flandreau is right down the
road from where I am at here in SW Minnesota.

The main thing to get from the conviction is that we have a democracy
that works in this country where folks can get justice. Janklow was a
4 term governor of the state of South Dakota and one of the most
popular governors ever. And yet a jury of his peers from his home town
found him guilty. It is events like this that make me proud to be an
American.

Ed Dolan - Minnesota
Old December 9th 03, 07:47 PM
jhuskey

Edward Dolan wrote:
"DH" wrote in message
http://abcnews.go.com/wire/Politics/...ttp://abcnews-
.go.com/wire/Politics/ap20031209_223.html

FLANDREAU, S.D. Dec. 9 ? Rep. Bill Janklow planned the official close
of his political career to coincide with his sentencing in the traffic
death of a motorcyclist,...

DH, are you from this neck of the woods? Flandreau is right down the
road from where I am at here in SW Minnesota.
The main thing to get from the conviction is that we have a democracy
that works in this country where folks can get justice. Janklow was a 4
term governor of the state of South Dakota and one of the most popular
governors ever. And yet a jury of his peers from his home town found him
guilty. It is events like this that make me proud to be an American.
Ed Dolan - Minnesota

Well at least this time it appears to have worked. Let us hope it sends
a message to all negligent drivers.If it saves just one life it is worth
it. I guess he is receiving his sentence today. I will reserve further
comment until I see want he is given as punishment.

Old December 9th 03, 11:16 PM
Lewis Campbell

Personally, I hope Janklow gets a MAX sentence.

He seems to be WELL deserving of it.

--
Lewis.

*******************************

Old December 10th 03, 07:16 AM
Rocketman

"Leland Milton Goldblatt PhD" wrote in
message m...
you should have heard those idiots from his state saying how they felt
sorry for him. the sucker he manslaughter on the bike may have voted
for him if he was a member of abate.

Unbelievable.

Republicans want to starve kids, kick old people out on the street,
make poor people have to eat dog food to survive, poison the air, land
and water and kill millions of American kids with your imperialist
wars.

They don't just *want* to do it, they *are* doing it! It's much worse than
anybody dreamed possible back in those prosperous and carefree days before
Election 2000, the end of democracy as we knew it in the US.

HAIL to the THIEF! Not my president. IMPEACH HE SUPREME COURT!

Right there with ya, brother.

"If the goal of President Bush's foreign policy was to make America
weaker, more vulnerable and more hated, mission accomplished."

Great quote. Is it yours? Can I borrow it?

Rocketman

Old December 10th 03, 03:05 PM
skip

"Rocketman" wrote in message
[...]

Oh my. Here we go again.

skip

Old December 10th 03, 03:11 PM
DH

Oh my. Here we go again.

My thoughts exactly. Please start an OT post if you are going take the
bait.

Old December 10th 03, 05:43 PM
skip

"skip" wrote in message

Oh my. Here we go again.

To those of you who pleasure yourselves by blaming Ed Dolan for the off
topic political threads please take notice. Mr. Dolan started an on topic
thread whereupon Rocketman and the Nutty Professor immediately changed it to
an Off Topic Hate Bush love in.

skip

Old December 10th 03, 06:17 PM
DH

To those of you who pleasure yourselves by blaming Ed Dolan for the off
topic political threads please take notice. Mr. Dolan started an on

topic
thread whereupon Rocketman and the Nutty Professor immediately changed

it to
an Off Topic Hate Bush love in.

Skip, there are some who will automatically respond when someone makes an
'I'm proud to be a/an [fill in the nationality of you choice]'.
Nationalism is the bait. I am not defending the two replies to Ed, but
that is exactly how it works. Ed will now be forced to respond and this
thread for further **** off more people.

This will be my final post in this thread.

Old December 10th 03, 07:10 PM
Chuck Davis

"Leland Milton Goldblatt PhD" wrote in
message m...
make poor people have to eat dog food to survive.....

If you know any of these people eating dog food, you might want to educate
them a little on grocery shopping. The price of a can of Alpo can buy some
reasonable human food.

Chuck Davis