recumbent seating position

Old October 21st 04, 05:05 PM
Edward Dolan

"magpie83" wrote in message
om...
It appears there are many different attitudes to the problems
encountered by recumbent cycle users. Clearly, therefore, design is
still to be done. To iron out these problems with safety and powering
etc.

Perhaps, like Dyson himself concluded, there is a much more efficient
way of doing a job machines have been doing for years. Vacuum cleaners
used bags, this was the norm, and was never questioned. Look how wrong
we were! My point being, have we taken the recubent vehicle as far as
we ever can?! Or are we just at a happy medium, like we were with our
vacuum cleaners!

Do not vacuum cleaners still use bags?

I therefore think it is a good idea to look at the possibilities of
improving safety, powering, weather protection and any other problems
your research uncovers! (Maybe it will replace the car! Perhaps you
won't, but who are we to judge!)

You are describing the automobile, an invention of the Devil that has long
been with us and has ruined all of our cities and most of the countryside
too.

So, lets all try and help out, and give andy our own experiences of
using these vehicles. As who better to ask about making improvements
than the people who use the vehicles!

Good Luck with your research and design.

No magpie83, I am all tuckered out and I am going to lie down and have a
nice long sleep. I leave all this development business to the young. If they
want to do as you suggest, they are welcome to do so, but I think it is all
nothing but a wild goose chase. The bicycle is capable of only so much
development and it has been around now for well over a hundred years. I am
afraid that what you see is what you get. Anything else is pie in the sky,
oh magpie83!

--
Regards,

Ed Dolan - Minnesota

Old October 21st 04, 11:46 PM
Zippy the Pinhead

On Thu, 21 Oct 2004 09:29:24 -0500, "Edward Dolan"
wrote:

it is my aim to goad this donkey from Scotland to tell us what medical physics is.

Cascara sagrada, innit?
Old October 22nd 04, 12:19 AM
magpie83

Oh dear eddy, well if the complexity of improving any aspect of such
vehicles confuses your old mind, maybe you had better keep your
opinions to yourself. It is not simply a bicycle that is being talked
about. And even if it was, look at areas such as spokes, suspension,
and materials used in modern mountain bikes. Redesigned every year,
with modifications applied. Sounds like progress to me. Especially if
you were to lift a modern bike compared to the age old steel framed
bikes. Oh, and the fact that disc brakes funnily enough developed from
those devil machines you mentioned.

The fact you mention cars being, 'an invention of the devil', backs up
my argument that should sufficient improvements be made, they could
replace the automobile, in our larger cities at least. Where the are
exempt from road tax, and London's newly implied entrance fee to the
city!

Yes, you are correct, vacuum cleaners still can use bags, well done on
that point. But i believe the point i was making (and you missed by a
huge margin) was that by removing the bag, and exploring new technolgy
we live in healthier environments, where are children will be less
prone to breathing difficulties, such as asthma! Also, using bags can
result in a loss of up to 70%, where as bagless cleaners, retain on
average 100%. Pretty good eh! The advantages of research.

Andy, may i suggest you look in other forums, where people are a
little less close-minded, and open for change!
Old October 22nd 04, 01:12 AM
Tom Sherman

Jon Meinecke wrote:

The chances of the lately perennial persona and self-
imagined master baiter of ARBR ever knowing what
it is, or even knowing what IT is are small, but seemingly
significantly larger than the possibility he will contribute
meaningful and/or insightful content or make a logical,
cogent argument about anything.

There's a Monty Python sketch in here, somewhere,
perhaps several. The argument, dead parrot, Piranha
brothers, black knight,... Take your pick.

I believe a visit to a psychiatric dairy is in order for Mr. Ed.

--
Tom Sherman - Curmudgeon and Pedant

Old October 22nd 04, 01:17 AM
Tom Sherman

Edward Dolan wrote:

"Jon Meinecke" wrote in message

"Peter Clinch" wrote

Conventional saddles support the sit bones, not
the groin. Or at least /should/ support the sit bones
and not the groin. If the saddle is the right shape for
the rider (and that may be a big "if") then there should
be no pressure on anything that will cause any more
problem than sitting on the ground. [...]

There are some studies that suggest bike seat/saddle
design/usage/fit may play a role in certain medical problems.

http://www.emedicine.com/sports/topic12.htm
http://www.bycycleinc.com/pages/article_MTJ.html (see references)

And there's an industry built around "special" seats to address
the 'problems'.

http://www.spongywonder.com/ %^)

Marketing copy on one special bike seat at LBS read something
like "Our design reduces penile numbness...". Made me wonder
what is the desired/acceptable level of that condition... %^P

Maybe some who claims to be an expert in medical physics
could enlighten us.

Maybe they could, maybe they couldn't. Though I've
never claimed to be an expert in the field I do know
what medical physics /is/ [...]

The chances of the lately perennial persona and self-
imagined master baiter of ARBR ever knowing what
it is, or even knowing what IT is are small, but seemingly
significantly larger than the possibility he will contribute
meaningful and/or insightful content or make a logical,
cogent argument about anything.

I am determined never to look up what medical physics is about. Instead, it
is my aim to goad this donkey from Scotland to tell us what medical physics
is. Either that or I will continue to poke fun at him and his occupation
until hell freezes over. He has made his occupation an issue by telling us
what it is that he does with his every signature...

Mr. Meinecke was postulating that Mr. Dolan would remain in ignorance of
the meaning of "IT", not "medical physics". It appears that Mr. Dolan's
reading comprehension is slipping - the onset of dementia, perhaps?

--
Tom Sherman - Curmudgeon and Pedant

Old October 22nd 04, 01:20 AM
Tom Sherman

Jon Meinecke wrote:

The chances of the lately perennial persona and self-
imagined master baiter of ARBR ever knowing what
it...

"Augh! Ohh! Don't say that word." - HEAD KNIGHT

Old October 22nd 04, 01:24 AM
Tom Sherman

Edward Dolan wrote:

I am waiting for you to explain your mysterious occupation....

It took me a fraction of second to figure out Mr. Clinch's occupation.
Mr. Dolan is missing the tree for the leaves.

--
Tom Sherman - Curmudgeon and Pedant

Old October 22nd 04, 01:31 AM
Edward Dolan

Here is the entire previous post so others will know what is under
discussion. If you are bent on improving things, maybe you could improve on
how you post. Try to follow the rules if that is not asking too much.

"magpie83" wrote in message
[...]

"magpie83" wrote in message
om...
Oh dear eddy, well if the complexity of improving any aspect of such
vehicles confuses your old mind, maybe you had better keep your
opinions to yourself. It is not simply a bicycle that is being talked
about. And even if it was, look at areas such as spokes, suspension,
and materials used in modern mountain bikes. Redesigned every year,
with modifications applied. Sounds like progress to me. Especially if
you were to lift a modern bike compared to the age old steel framed
bikes. Oh, and the fact that disc brakes funnily enough developed from
those devil machines you mentioned.

Bikes have not changed much in the past 25 years. The improvements you talk
about are only on the margin. They really don't amount to a hill of beans.
They are in the main just calculated to separate the consumer from his hard
earned dollar. The bike I was riding 25 years ago is just as good as any
bike today. The bike is not redesigned every year. It hasn't been redesigned
in 100 years. Just more of the same old same old. Nothing ever changes when
it comes to bikes.

The fact you mention cars being, 'an invention of the devil', backs up
my argument that should sufficient improvements be made, they could
replace the automobile, in our larger cities at least. Where the are
exempt from road tax, and London's newly implied entrance fee to the
city!

Hope springs eternal in the human breast!

Yes, you are correct, vacuum cleaners still can use bags, well done on
that point. But i believe the point i was making (and you missed by a
huge margin) was that by removing the bag, and exploring new technolgy
we live in healthier environments, where are children will be less
prone to breathing difficulties, such as asthma! Also, using bags can
result in a loss of up to 70%, where as bagless cleaners, retain on
average 100%. Pretty good eh! The advantages of research.

Every vacuum cleaner I ever had was connected to a bag.

Andy, may i suggest you look in other forums, where people are a
little less close-minded, and open for change!

I am not Andy and i should be capitalized since it is the personal pronoun.
I see lots of room for improvement in your posting form. Maybe you could
work on that more and not concern yourself so much with improving the rest
of the world.

I don't give a tinker's damn about an open mind. As a matter of fact, I
rather appreciate a closed mind. That indicates to me that one has thought
about something and come to a conclusion. No, I think a closed mind suits me
much better since I have come to conclusions about most things under the
sun. Maybe someday if you live long enough, you will come to some
conclusions too and not be cursed with an open mind - and always to be
hoping for pie in the sky, oh magpie83.

Now I am going to lie down and have a snooze. All this verbal combat has
exhausted me. My closed mind will soon be sound asleep and I will dream
about going fast on my 25 year old bike. When I arise refreshed from my
snooze, I will perhaps vacuum the rug with my 25 year old vacuum cleaner,
the one with a bag on it.

--
Regards,

Ed Dolan - Minnesota

Old October 22nd 04, 01:41 AM
Edward Dolan

"Tom Sherman" wrote in message
Edward Dolan wrote:

"Jon Meinecke" wrote in message

[...]
The chances of the lately perennial persona and self-
imagined master baiter of ARBR ever knowing what
it is, or even knowing what IT is are small, but seemingly
significantly larger than the possibility he will contribute
meaningful and/or insightful content or make a logical,
cogent argument about anything.

I am determined never to look up what medical physics is about. Instead,
it is my aim to goad this donkey from Scotland to tell us what medical
physics is. Either that or I will continue to poke fun at him and his
occupation until hell freezes over. He has made his occupation an issue
by telling us what it is that he does with his every signature...

Mr. Meinecke was postulating that Mr. Dolan would remain in ignorance of
the meaning of "IT", not "medical physics". It appears that Mr. Dolan's
reading comprehension is slipping - the onset of dementia, perhaps?

Who knows what the hell Meinecke is referring to. His writing is as
constipated as his thinking. I sure as hell am not going to waste time
trying to decipher him. Just what is the IT that Meinecke is referring to?
Only another constipated mind like that of Mr. Sherman knows. Apparently, it
takes one to know one. It is up to the writer to make himself crystal clear,
something that Meinecke seems incapable of.

--
Regards,

Ed Dolan - Minnesota

Old October 22nd 04, 01:42 AM
Tom Sherman

magpie83 wrote:

Perhaps, like Dyson himself concluded, there is a much more efficient
way of doing a job machines have been doing for years. Vacuum cleaners
used bags, this was the norm, and was never questioned. Look how wrong
we were!...

Yes, but bagless vacuum cleaners still suck!

--
Tom Sherman - Curmudgeon and Pedant