Cheap Light For Uni - Works Excellent

Old October 28th 05, 02:26 AM
n9jcv

Default Cheap Light For Uni - Works Excellent

There have been various threads on lights, I found what works great for
me. I ride either a 24 or my Coker on Crushed limestone, blacktop or
sidewalks and this works EXCELLENT, considering the price.

Until Saturday, Sears has this on sale,

Only 12.99 - No I don't work at Sears, no stock in Sears, I don't even
know anyone who works there. This light has a 1 Watt Luxeon LED, These
are not your typical LEDs. This LED pulls about .35Amps of current. A
typical LED only uses about .020 Amps (20 milliamps). This sucker is
BRIGHT. In a dark subdivision, this light will shine nearly 200 ft. I
just attached it to my helmet with a Velcro strap. $13 and you have an
awesome light. If you really need more light, buy 2. REALLY, buy one
try it. If you dont like it Sears will take it back.

Happy Winter Riding!!!

|Filename: light.jpg |

n9jcv
n9jcv's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/7844

Old October 28th 05, 02:31 AM
n9jcv

Almost forgot, uses 3 AAA and runs 17 hours - about 6 inches long and
lightweight.

Old October 29th 05, 02:35 AM
Krashin'Kenny

I went to Sears and bought one tonight. Man, that thing IS BRIGHT
Thanks for the tip!!!!!!

--
Krashin'Kenny

If you ain't crashing, you ain't going fast enough!!!!!!!!!!!
Krashin'Kenny's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/3420

Old October 29th 05, 02:39 AM
harper

Does this light work in flood or spot mode? Is it variable like a
Mag-lite? I like the 3 AAA's, 17 hours, lightweight, and small all in
one. Will it use NiMH batteries which are somewhat lower in voltage
than alkaline?

--
harper

-Greg Harper

B L U E S H I F T

*there is no main man other than jc.*

This is still my nth post....*AWESOME!!!*

Old October 29th 05, 02:50 AM
john_childs

Krashin'Kenny wrote:
I went to Sears and bought one tonight. Man, that thing IS BRIGHT
Thanks for the tip!!!!!!

And a good beam spread. Some (many?) LED lights have a very tight spot
beam with no spread. This one has a bright spot in the center and a
wide dimmer flood all the way around. Nice. Light output is better
than some of the $40+ 1W LED lights I've looked at. I'll have to wait
and see what the battery life is.

It's bright enough to use for casual urban use. Not quite bright
enough for muni unless you've also got a full moon and no tree cover.
Still a nice light. I'm not planning to use it for a riding light, but
rather a utility flashlight and an emergency backup light for night
rides.

--
john_childs

john_childs (att) hotmail (dott) com
Gallery: http://gallery.unicyclist.com/john_childs
'Unicycling Bookmark List' (http://backcountry.unicyclist.com/) ::
'World Clock' (http://tinyurl.com/a99y3)

Old October 29th 05, 03:09 AM
john_childs

harper wrote:
Does this light work in flood or spot mode? Is it variable like a
Mag-lite? I like the 3 AAA's, 17 hours, lightweight, and small all in
one. Will it use NiMH batteries which are somewhat lower in voltage
than alkaline?

It's sort of a flood. More of a flood than most LEDs.
It is not adjustable like a Mag-Lite.
It lights up just as brightly with several week old charge NiMH
batteries. No idea how log the NiMH batteries will last.
I'd be surprised if you could get 17 hours of full light. They're
probably letting it dim quite a bit more than you'd let it dim if you
were using it as a riding light. I'm more expecting single digit burn
times to keep it bright enough for riding use.

It's as bright as the LED light I had on the Iron Horse tunnel ride. I
had a 15W halogen and the LED light in the tunnel. The Craftsman light
has a better flood than the LED light I had in the tunnel. I'd guess
two of the Craftsman lights would be adequate for the tunnel ride if
you've got good night vision.

Old October 29th 05, 07:31 AM
harper

john_childs wrote:
I'd guess two of the Craftsman lights would be adequate for the tunnel
ride if you've got good night vision.

Exactly what I want to know. That's why there is no main man other than
JC.

Old October 29th 05, 10:19 AM
GizmoDuck

n9jcv wrote:

Only 12.99 - No I don't work at Sears, no stock in Sears, I don't even
know anyone who works there. This light has a 1 Watt Luxeon LED, These
are not your typical LEDs. This LED pulls about .35Amps of current.

I'm a big fan of the Luxeons- but I think I must have paid about US$50
for a 1W Luxeon light when I was in Japan last year. It's incredibly
bright.

--
GizmoDuck

o-kO
'www.adventureunicyclist.com' (http://www.adventureunicyclist.com/) -
check out my new and improved website
'Laos Unicycle Tour' (http://www.laosunitour.org)
'New Zealand Unicycle Federation' (http://www.unicycle.org.nz)

Light & Motion "Vega" LED Headlight rdclark Techniques 5 October 22nd 05 01:04 PM
Fun fun fun Jon Senior UK 140 May 4th 04 05:14 PM
LED headlights? David L. Johnson Techniques 129 January 21st 04 03:30 PM
cheapskates's helmet light john cop Techniques 12 September 29th 03 03:52 PM
Daylight Bright Bicycle Tail Light Laurence Dodd Australia 0 September 17th 03 04:36 AM