My first dog bite

Old April 6th 09, 05:02 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Greg Evans

Default My first dog bite

While reading the 'just a little dog' thread, I remarked to myself
how lucky I've been to have avoided that particular fate.

That changed Thursday when I joined the ranks of the bitten. Owner had
his dogs in front yard, black chow mix takes a run at me. I was
hesitant to kick the dog with his 'master' right there. The dog
was not all hesitant about chomping on my leg.

Lessons learned:
1) Kick (spray, apply frame pump, etc.) first, ask
questions later.
2) Dog bites hurt worse than I would have thought and they don't
generally stitch them up (except, I hear, on the face).

More he
http://www.gsevans.com/blog/2009/04/dogbite-on-my-leg-not-right-supposed-to-beg.html
including gruesome photo of the damage!

Greg
"Peace is not simply the absence of conflict,
but the existence of justice for all people."

(Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.)
My Photos-
http://www.gsevans.com/photography/

My Blog-
http://www.gsevans.com/blog/

Old April 6th 09, 06:41 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On Mon, 06 Apr 2009 12:02:17 -0400, Greg Evans
wrote:

While reading the 'just a little dog' thread, I remarked to myself
how lucky I've been to have avoided that particular fate.

That changed Thursday when I joined the ranks of the bitten. Owner had
his dogs in front yard, black chow mix takes a run at me. I was
hesitant to kick the dog with his 'master' right there. The dog
was not all hesitant about chomping on my leg.

Lessons learned:
1) Kick (spray, apply frame pump, etc.) first, ask
questions later.
2) Dog bites hurt worse than I would have thought and they don't
generally stitch them up (except, I hear, on the face).

More he
http://www.gsevans.com/blog/2009/04/dogbite-on-my-leg-not-right-supposed-to-beg.html
including gruesome photo of the damage!

Greg

Dear Greg,

Ouch!

Yes, doctors usually leave a dog-bite wound alone and rely on
antibiotics, unless there's a long rip.

Same thing with minor gunshot wounds--they're painful, but there's not
actually much to stitch.

Cheers,

Carl Fogel
Old April 6th 09, 06:45 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Tosspot[_2_]

Greg Evans wrote:
While reading the 'just a little dog' thread, I remarked to myself
how lucky I've been to have avoided that particular fate.

That changed Thursday when I joined the ranks of the bitten. Owner had
his dogs in front yard, black chow mix takes a run at me. I was
hesitant to kick the dog with his 'master' right there. The dog
was not all hesitant about chomping on my leg.

Lessons learned:
1) Kick (spray, apply frame pump, etc.) first, ask
questions later.
2) Dog bites hurt worse than I would have thought and they don't
generally stitch them up (except, I hear, on the face).

More he
http://www.gsevans.com/blog/2009/04/dogbite-on-my-leg-not-right-supposed-to-beg.html

including gruesome photo of the damage!

Seems the owners are quite decent, makes a change, but I'd have still
explained to the dog the wherewithall of the food chain. Still, you
probably wont get rabies, which is a result!
Old April 6th 09, 11:10 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Michael Press

In article ,
Greg Evans wrote:

While reading the 'just a little dog' thread, I remarked to myself
how lucky I've been to have avoided that particular fate.

That changed Thursday when I joined the ranks of the bitten. Owner had
his dogs in front yard, black chow mix takes a run at me. I was
hesitant to kick the dog with his 'master' right there. The dog
was not all hesitant about chomping on my leg.

Lessons learned:
1) Kick (spray, apply frame pump, etc.) first, ask
questions later.
2) Dog bites hurt worse than I would have thought and they don't
generally stitch them up (except, I hear, on the face).

More he
http://www.gsevans.com/blog/2009/04/dogbite-on-my-leg-not-right-supposed-to-beg.html
including gruesome photo of the damage!

Tell us you filed a complaint with animal control.

--
Michael Press
Old April 7th 09, 12:02 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi

wrote:
Ouch!
Yes, doctors usually leave a dog-bite wound alone and rely on
antibiotics, unless there's a long rip.
Same thing with minor gunshot wounds--they're painful, but there's not
actually much to stitch.

Famously:
http://www.military.com/HomePage/UnitPageHistory/1,13506,712447|732532,00.html
--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/
Old April 7th 09, 12:32 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Jay Beattie

On Apr 6, 3:10*pm, Michael Press wrote:
In article ,
*Greg Evans wrote:

While reading the 'just a little dog' thread, I remarked to myself
how lucky I've been to have avoided that particular fate.

That changed Thursday when I joined the ranks of the bitten. Owner had
his dogs in front yard, black chow mix takes a run at me. I was
hesitant to kick the dog with his 'master' right there. The dog
was not all hesitant about chomping on my leg.

Lessons learned:
1) Kick (spray, apply frame pump, etc.) first, ask
questions later.
2) Dog bites hurt worse than I would have thought and they don't
generally stitch them up (except, I hear, on the face).

More he
http://www.gsevans.com/blog/2009/04/dogbite-on-my-leg-not-right-suppo....
including gruesome photo of the damage!

Tell us you filed a complaint with animal control.

--
Michael Press- Hide quoted text -

Right on. Get the dog in the system. Make a claim against the
homeowner's policy. -- Jay Beattie.
Old April 7th 09, 12:47 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Big Jim

Just let it go. You'll get over it.

wrote:
[...]

Carl Fogel- Hide quoted text -

Old April 7th 09, 01:01 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Greg Evans

Evans wrote:

[...]

Oh yes. Done and done. What surprises me is the people I know who are
clamoring for me to "sue 'em!"

I just want my expenses covered. This idea of turning everything into
a big cash grab is symptomatic of what's wrong with this country,
IMHO.

Greg

"Giving money and power to government is like
giving whiskey and car keys to teenage boys."

(P.J. O'Rourke)

Old April 7th 09, 01:59 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Jay Beattie

Evans wrote:

[...]

I agree. Apart from seeking compensation, though, notifying the
insurance carrier sometimes triggers an obligation to train the dog
and get a "good dog diploma" to maintain coverage. The carrier may
also non-renew, but with a little yappy dog like a chow (and not a pit
bull, etc.), I doubt it -- but I admit that I am not well versed on
the ins and outs of underwriting yappy dogs. In any event, these
people need to fix the dog and themselves, and if it takes a little
ass-kicking from their insurer, so be it. -- Jay Beattie.
Old April 7th 09, 02:43 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Mark[_12_]

Evans wrote:
[...]

Wikipedia says a chow-chow adult male averages 55-70 pounds. Doesn't
sound so /little/. Are we talking about the same thing?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chow_Chow

All else agreed with.

Mark J.

Dog bite yesterday :( just us Australia 35 April 16th 07 03:42 PM
he's about to bite!! jump back!! LIBERATOR Mountain Biking 1 August 23rd 06 05:01 AM
bite your tongue loke General 25 May 25th 05 01:15 PM
Bat Bite Part 2 HughMann Australia 3 December 8th 04 12:09 PM
Bee sting/bite q's-Long Cat Dailey Racing 32 August 12th 04 01:36 AM