Walkable cleats

Old April 29th 09, 04:41 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Greg Evans

Default Walkable cleats

Here's the situation:
I need to get shoes/cleats that I can walk comfortably in for my
upcoming NYC trip. I've ridden exclusively on Speedplay 'X' pedals
since making the switch from clips/straps ~10 years ago.

I'd like something with similar 'feel' and hopefully 2 sided, too.
Speedplay Frogs seem the obvious choice, but I'm looking for advice
and/or suggestions.

Thanks,
Greg
"What is this place and who are these people,
and what am I doing here?"

(Kurt Vonnegut - 'Hocus Pocus')
My Photos-
http://www.gsevans.com/photography/

My Blog-
http://www.gsevans.com/blog/

Old April 29th 09, 05:21 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Mike Jacoubowsky

"Greg Evans" wrote in message
Here's the situation:
I need to get shoes/cleats that I can walk comfortably in for my
upcoming NYC trip. I've ridden exclusively on Speedplay 'X' pedals
since making the switch from clips/straps ~10 years ago.

I'd like something with similar 'feel' and hopefully 2 sided, too.
Speedplay Frogs seem the obvious choice, but I'm looking for advice
and/or suggestions.

Thanks,
Greg

Greg: I don't think you're going to find what you're looking for. The
Speedplay Frogs aren't quite recessed enough, so whatever you're walking
on, you're likely to feel that you're walking on a cleat (and whatever
you do, don't use Speedplay Frogs to walk across any sort of floor that
will get scuffed up!).

I use Speedplay X & Zeroes myself and love them, but when I go to France
to watch the TdF, I bring standard mountain-bike type shoes with SPD
cleats. It's not quite as nice as the Speedplay X or Zeroes, but you can
stand around in them for hours without discomfort, and hike around the
hills with your bike and not have to worry about cleat covers (I lost
one someplace on Alpe d'Huez a few years ago; it's yours if you find
it!).

--Mike-- Chain Reaction Bicycles
www.ChainReactionBicycles.com

Old April 29th 09, 05:30 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Jay Beattie

On Apr 29, 9:21*am, "Mike Jacoubowsky"
wrote:
"Greg Evans" wrote in message

[...]

I hate it when I lose my shoe covers on the Alpe d'Huez while watching
the TdF! BTW, see my web-site retrospective "Fifty Years of not
Riding the Stelvio." It includes pictures of me sitting on my sofa,
mowing the lawn and riding my bike on various roads in and near
Portland. I am going to see if Jobst will do the narration. Maybe Ken
Burns will pick it up. -- Jay Beattie.
Old April 29th 09, 05:33 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
[email protected][_2_]

On Apr 29, 9:41*am, Greg Evans wrote:
Here's the situation:
I need to get shoes/cleats that I can walk comfortably in for my
upcoming NYC trip. I've ridden exclusively on Speedplay 'X' pedals
since making the switch from clips/straps ~10 years ago.

I'd like something with similar 'feel' and hopefully 2 sided, too.
Speedplay Frogs seem the obvious choice, but I'm looking for advice
and/or suggestions.

Thanks,
Greg
"What is this place and who are these people,
and what am I doing here?"

* * * * (Kurt Vonnegut - 'Hocus Pocus')
My Photos-http://www.gsevans.com/photography/

My Blog-http://www.gsevans.com/blog/

Why don't you try a pair of spd pedals. They are inexpensive. You can
find some for less that $50 online. You'll need spd compatible shoes
and cleats. A pair of comfortable mtb shoes will work perfectly. Any
bike shop will be able to set you up. If you want to save money you
can go online to nashbar, performance or pricepoint. For example, if
they fit you, the following combo will do what you want:

http://www.pricepoint.com/detail/141...m-M3-Pedal.htm

Andres

Old April 29th 09, 06:00 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On Apr 29, 11:41*am, Greg Evans wrote:
Here's the situation:
I need to get shoes/cleats that I can walk comfortably in for my
upcoming NYC trip. I've ridden exclusively on Speedplay 'X' pedals
since making the switch from clips/straps ~10 years ago.

I'd like something with similar 'feel' and hopefully 2 sided, too.
Speedplay Frogs seem the obvious choice, but I'm looking for advice
and/or suggestions.

Thanks,
Greg
"What is this place and who are these people,
and what am I doing here?"

* * * * (Kurt Vonnegut - 'Hocus Pocus')
My Photos-http://www.gsevans.com/photography/

My Blog-http://www.gsevans.com/blog/

I've been using the ritchey mtn bike pedals with sidi mtn bike shoes
since the 90's. I've worked as a bike courier in them along with
easily over 100000 k ridden with that combo, possibly double that
distance. they provide ultimate comfort ability to walk ( the hard
plastic nubs on the soles require a bit of finesse when on wet marble
floors / stairs ). the pedals are dbl sided, provide a nice flat
platform for pedalling on icy/ wet metal surfaces where you have no
time to unclip to prevent a fall. tension is adjustable and the cleats
are very long lasting ( unlike frogs).
Old April 29th 09, 06:09 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
landotter

On Apr 29, 11:41*am, Greg Evans wrote:
Here's the situation:
I need to get shoes/cleats that I can walk comfortably in for my
upcoming NYC trip. I've ridden exclusively on Speedplay 'X' pedals
since making the switch from clips/straps ~10 years ago.

I'd like something with similar 'feel' and hopefully 2 sided, too.
Speedplay Frogs seem the obvious choice, but I'm looking for advice
and/or suggestions.

Just get whatever walkable sneakers you like and some SPuDs. I like
the "Nashbar Clipless ATB Pedal" which is the same as the old Ritcheys
and also sold as Wellgo, who makes all three. Stupid durable for urban
riding, everyone needs a set for $35. There's plenty of float for most
folks and the cleats will last for years.

http://www.nashbar.com/bikes/Product..._200276_200410

Shimano 520s are fine as well, I just dig the robust body of the
Nashbar/Wellgo model for bashing against curbs and the like.
Old April 29th 09, 10:26 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
[email protected][_2_]

On Apr 29, 9:41*am, Greg Evans wrote:
Here's the situation:
I need to get shoes/cleats that I can walk comfortably in for my
upcoming NYC trip. I've ridden exclusively on Speedplay 'X' pedals
since making the switch from clips/straps ~10 years ago.

I'd like something with similar 'feel' and hopefully 2 sided, too.
Speedplay Frogs seem the obvious choice, but I'm looking for advice
and/or suggestions.

Thanks,
Greg
"What is this place and who are these people,
and what am I doing here?"

* * * * (Kurt Vonnegut - 'Hocus Pocus')
My Photos-http://www.gsevans.com/photography/

My Blog-http://www.gsevans.com/blog/

A combination of MTB shoes and spd pedals will do the job. Any bike
shop should be able to set you up. If you want to save some $$4, try
this:

http://www.pricepoint.com/detail/141...m-M3-Pedal.htm
Old April 29th 09, 10:38 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

--

I also want my bicycle shoes to be walkable, and have found a solution
that satisfies me:. Crank Brothers Egg Beater pedals in combination

Ivar
Old April 29th 09, 11:16 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
futrino[_2_]

landotter wrote:
[...]

I have a pair of those ritcheys, I paid $110 15 years ago from the bike
shop. they started creaking after offroad trail singletrack use in
about a year. they are now in my parts bucket. I have a pair of the
wellgo, they work fine on my loaded touring bike.
Old April 30th 09, 02:01 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
landotter

http://www.nashbar.com/bikes/Product..._-1_200316_200...

, I just dig the robust body of the
Nashbar/Wellgo model for bashing against curbs and the like.

I have a pair of those ritcheys, *I paid $110 15 years ago from the bike
shop. *they started creaking after offroad trail singletrack use in
about a year. they are now in my parts bucket. I have a pair of the
wellgo, they work fine on my loaded touring bike.

Cut off the dust seal on the spindle. It makes weird noises. Lube the
inner bushing, and they should be fine.