Fear of cycling

Old March 16th 11, 01:22 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech,alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.bicycles.misc
(PeteCresswell)

Default Fear of cycling

Per His Highness the TibetanMonkey, originator of the Stop the
Bull**** Campaign:
I want to know the designer of my closest bike facility, give him a
list of flaws and tell him, "Sir, you are an idiot!"

It's probably the same guy that puts the bike racks out behind
the dumpsters.... -)
--
PeteCresswell
Old March 16th 11, 01:38 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech,alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.bicycles.misc

On Mar 16, 9:22*am, "(PeteCresswell)" wrote:
Per His Highness the TibetanMonkey, originator of the Stop the
Bull**** Campaign:

I want to know the designer of my closest bike facility, give him a
list of flaws and tell him, "Sir, you are an idiot!"

It's probably the same guy that puts the bike racks out behind
the dumpsters.... -)

I think there was a hidden message in that.

But in my case, being a mixed facility, dog owners are the most
powerful of the components of said facilities. This is a wealthy area,
also populated by homeless. Pedestrians are insignificant, and
cyclists are an accident. My problem is when they don't pick up their
own ****.
Old March 16th 11, 01:41 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech,alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.bicycles.misc

On Mar 16, 9:20*am, "(PeteCresswell)" wrote:
Per T m Sherm n _ ":

I have been professionally involved in infrastructure design and
construction work for over a decade, and have *never* encountered a
transportation facility being built as a prototype and tested, then
constructed for use. *The reasons for this are bloody obvious to anyone
involved.

Am I the only one, or is there a recognized (albeit unheeded)
argument that when a building or building complex is constructed,
no sidewalks should be put in.

Instead, everything gets turfed and they wait six months or a
year to see where the footpaths appear - and then pave same -
probably saving some money as well as winding up with footpaths
that are relevant.

Well, every project done in America should have a SUGGESTION BOX to
get feed back. Wouldn't that be sign of democracy as much as a two
party system?

They may act like God but even God made many mistakes.
Old March 16th 11, 01:55 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech,alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.bicycles.misc
Radey Shouman

"(PeteCresswell)" writes:

Per Tēm ShermĒn™ °_° ":
I have been professionally involved in infrastructure design and
construction work for over a decade, and have *never* encountered a
transportation facility being built as a prototype and tested, then
constructed for use. The reasons for this are bloody obvious to anyone
involved.

Am I the only one, or is there a recognized (albeit unheeded)
argument that when a building or building complex is constructed,
no sidewalks should be put in.

Instead, everything gets turfed and they wait six months or a
year to see where the footpaths appear - and then pave same -
probably saving some money as well as winding up with footpaths
that are relevant.

Quite a few years ago I went to university in Austin, Texas. On a trip
back home, I talked to the father of one of my friends, who had worked
at UT several years ago. He told me that the plan you describe above
was used for the Physics, Math, and Astronomy building, which was
completed just after he left. He wanted to know how the sidewalks were
laid out.

I had to tell him that the building was entirely surrounded by concrete,
no grass remained at all.

Old March 16th 11, 02:40 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech,alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.bicycles.misc

On Mar 16, 9:55*am, Radey Shouman wrote:
"(PeteCresswell)" writes:
[...]

I often see products that are flawed at the design level and I wonder
if they couldn't test them with a few users. A wonderful product is
rendered useless and all is lost.

The "mixed facility" (mixing pedestrians, dogs and bicycles) at issue
has blinding lights making you squint at night, dangerous "temporary"
carpet at one end that rattles your bikes and other flaws, and they
have ignored my "barrage" of criticism at the local forum, even though
I can count hundreds of people that have read it (but not dared to
disagree with me).*

Where's the suggestion box?

* The 100' carpet was put in after my criticism and the car bumper
that almost made me fall headlong was removed, but I can not prove
cause and effect.

Old March 17th 11, 01:16 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech,alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.bicycles.misc
Tēm ShermĒn™ °_°[_2_]

On 3/16/2011 8:38 AM, His Highness the TibetanMonkey, originator of the
Stop the Bull**** Campaign wrote:
[...]
But in my case, being a mixed facility, dog owners are the most
powerful of the components of said facilities. This is a wealthy area,
also populated by homeless. Pedestrians are insignificant, and
cyclists are an accident. My problem is when they don't pick up their
own ****.

Your area has a problem with cyclists leaving their feces on the ground?

--
Tēm ShermĒn - 42.435731,-83.985007
I am a vehicular cyclist.
Old March 17th 11, 01:18 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech,alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.bicycles.misc
Tēm ShermĒn™ °_°[_2_]

On 3/16/2011 8:16 PM, Tēm ShermĒn™ °_° wrote:
On 3/16/2011 8:38 AM, His Highness the TibetanMonkey, originator of the
Stop the Bull**** Campaign wrote:
[...]
But in my case, being a mixed facility, dog owners are the most
powerful of the components of said facilities. This is a wealthy area,
also populated by homeless. Pedestrians are insignificant, and
cyclists are an accident. My problem is when they don't pick up their
own ****.

Your area has a problem with cyclists leaving their feces on the ground?

Here is how Brussels has attempted to deal with this particular problem:
http://homepage.ntlworld.com/pete.meg/wcc/facility-of-the-month/March2010.htm.

Old March 17th 11, 12:24 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech,alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.bicycles.misc
Duane Hebert[_4_]

On 3/16/2011 9:18 PM, Tēm ShermĒn™ °_° wrote:
On 3/16/2011 8:16 PM, Tēm ShermĒn™ °_° wrote:
On 3/16/2011 8:38 AM, His Highness the TibetanMonkey, originator of the
Stop the Bull**** Campaign wrote:
[...]
But in my case, being a mixed facility, dog owners are the most
powerful of the components of said facilities. This is a wealthy area,
also populated by homeless. Pedestrians are insignificant, and
cyclists are an accident. My problem is when they don't pick up their
own ****.

Your area has a problem with cyclists leaving their feces on the ground?

Here is how Brussels has attempted to deal with this particular problem:
http://homepage.ntlworld.com/pete.meg/wcc/facility-of-the-month/March2010.htm.

As I get older, that seems less ridiculous.
Old March 17th 11, 12:59 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech,alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.bicycles.misc

On Mar 16, 9:16*pm, Tēm ShermĒn™ °_° ""twshermanREMOVE\"@THI
$southslope.net" wrote:
On 3/16/2011 8:38 AM, His Highness the TibetanMonkey, originator of the
Stop the Bull**** Campaign wrote:
* [...]

But in my case, being a mixed facility, dog owners are the most
powerful of the components of said facilities. This is a wealthy area,
also populated by homeless. Pedestrians are insignificant, and
cyclists are an accident. My problem is when they don't pick up their
own ****.

Your area has a problem with cyclists leaving their feces on the ground?

It would send a powerful message that a cyclist squatted and did ****
right in their dog's path area.

I mean the dog owners have bags and everything but they need training.

Old March 17th 11, 01:01 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech,alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.bicycles.misc

On Mar 16, 9:18*pm, Tēm ShermĒn™ °_° ""twshermanREMOVE\"@THI
$southslope.net" wrote:
On 3/16/2011 8:16 PM, T m Sherm n _ wrote:

On 3/16/2011 8:38 AM, His Highness the TibetanMonkey, originator of the
Stop the Bull**** Campaign wrote:
* [...]
But in my case, being a mixed facility, dog owners are the most
powerful of the components of said facilities. This is a wealthy area,
also populated by homeless. Pedestrians are insignificant, and
cyclists are an accident. My problem is when they don't pick up their
own ****.

Your area has a problem with cyclists leaving their feces on the ground?

Here is how Brussels has attempted to deal with this particular problem:
http://homepage.ntlworld.com/pete.meg/wcc/facility-of-the-month/March....

They thought of everything, huh?

We have a compounded problem though with dogs (some of them unleashed)
and stray cats.

Fear for Armstrong S Perryman Racing 10 July 18th 10 02:22 PM
Fear of cycling Doki UK 29 August 28th 09 05:28 PM
Fear... Tulsa Unicycling 28 August 10th 08 10:38 PM
help! fear in the way of uni JUNGAUNI Unicycling 17 May 15th 06 02:18 AM
The Fear dannyfrankszzz UK 33 August 29th 03 09:47 AM