Helmets and testing information

Old March 26th 11, 08:14 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Simon Mason[_4_]

Default Helmets and testing information

On Mar 26, 7:54*pm, Ian Smith wrote:
On 26 Mar 2011 16:19:48 GMT, Tony Raven wrote:

*JNugent wrote:
On 26/03/2011 15:49, Tony Raven wrote:

I use my bike (and have hired BBs too) in London and in every
single instance where I have cycled to the next appointment and
colleagues have taken a taxi or tube, I arrived first. *And with
a taxi they don't even have to find parking or walk from and to
the parking place.

That merely demonstrates how motor traffic has been hobbled in
London, for petty political reasons. If a bicycle can travel
faster than a taxi, the bicycle must be queue-jumping in one way
or another, even if it does not suit some to see it that way.

*Always an excuse. *It remains a fact though that a bicycle is a very
*effective mode of transport in London.

If someone gets there faster by tube, are they queue-jumping? *
If it's quicker to walk, are they queue-jumping too?

I never knew that people had to reach their destination in strict
order of departure. *Presumably those that choose to use a by-pass
rather than drive through a congested town centre are nasty
queue-jumpers too. *

regards, * Ian SMith
--
* |\ /| * * *no .sig
* |o o|

Yes, it's funny that a car overtaking a cyclist is "making progress",
but a cyclist overtaking a slower moving or stationary car is "queue
jumping".

--
Simon Mason
Old March 26th 11, 08:33 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Judith[_4_]

On Sat, 26 Mar 2011 10:39:01 -0700 (PDT), Simon Mason wrote:

On Mar 26, 5:09*pm, Judith wrote:
On 26 Mar 2011 15:49:51 GMT, Tony Raven wrote:

"Just zis Guy, you know?" wrote:

I only know one person who has permanent effects from traumatic brain
injury. He was working on a roof and fell around 40 feet onto a concrete
floor.

You knew Nigel Pargetter?

Didn't you know - Porky Chapman knows lost of famous people. *So many that he has a web page for
them.

You numbskull. Nigel Pargetter was a fictitious character from BBC
R4's "The Archers".
Graham Seed didn't really die, he's an actor the lad.

ffs - you don't say - irony not a strong point of yours

You really are Simples aren't you.

--
Stopping distances for bicycles do not appear in the HC ... and so
cannot be of any consequence.

Old March 26th 11, 08:43 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Judith[_4_]

On 26 Mar 2011 20:05:01 GMT, Tony Raven wrote:

JNugent wrote:

Even if I were not familiar with that particular abbreviation, that would
not be a disadvantage and knowing it would hardly be a mark of
intellectual distinction for you or anyone else.

No but it might indicate whether they knew much about London and it's
traffic. And if you don't know about London and it's traffic then you are
at a definite disadvantage discussingnthe subject with someone who is.

But as it happens, I do know what "TCR" usually means. What I was asking
about was the underpoass. I don't know any underpass in Tottenham Court
Road - because there isn't one.

The TCR underpass i.e the underpass under TCR. I would have thought even
you could have worked that one out.

Oh dear, oh dear - the Porky Chapman education coming out again.

Do a Google search for "TCR Underpass" - what do you get?

Three hits - two are from this thread - (The other is from a ****wit cyclist - and no, it is not
Ravin !!)

Yep - it really is in common usage.

What a knob.

(Clue - TCR stops as soon as it hits Euston Road - it does not cross it - therefore there is not an
underpass beneath it)

--

"Then back to my club on Pall Mall "

Tony Raven - pretentious tosser

Old March 26th 11, 08:50 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
JNugent[_7_]

On 26/03/2011 19:54, Ian Smith wrote:
On 26 Mar 2011 16:19:48 GMT, Tony wrote:
wrote:
On 26/03/2011 15:49, Tony Raven wrote:

I use my bike (and have hired BBs too) in London and in every
single instance where I have cycled to the next appointment and
colleagues have taken a taxi or tube, I arrived first. And with
a taxi they don't even have to find parking or walk from and to
the parking place.

That merely demonstrates how motor traffic has been hobbled in
London, for petty political reasons. If a bicycle can travel
faster than a taxi, the bicycle must be queue-jumping in one way
or another, even if it does not suit some to see it that way.

Always an excuse. It remains a fact though that a bicycle is a very
effective mode of transport in London.

If someone gets there faster by tube, are they queue-jumping?

If they are given privileged access which others are not given, yes.

If it's quicker to walk, are they queue-jumping too?

If others are forbidden to do the same (or to use the same route), yes.

I never knew that people had to reach their destination in strict
order of departure.

They don't.

Presumably those that choose to use a by-pass
rather than drive through a congested town centre are nasty
queue-jumpers too.

Your sense of logic seems to operate in an odd - one might say illogical -
manner.
Old March 26th 11, 08:57 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
JNugent[_7_]

On 26/03/2011 20:05, Tony Raven wrote:

wrote:

Even if I were not familiar with that particular abbreviation, that would
not be a disadvantage and knowing it would hardly be a mark of
intellectual distinction for you or anyone else.

No but it might indicate whether they knew much about London and it's
traffic. And if you don't know about London and it's traffic then you are
at a definite disadvantage discussingnthe subject with someone who is.

But I do know London, reasonably well. However, I know of no TCR underpass.

But as it happens, I do know what "TCR" usually means. What I was asking
about was the underpoass. I don't know any underpass in Tottenham Court
Road - because there isn't one.

The TCR underpass i.e the underpass under TCR. I would have thought even
you could have worked that one out.

Which underpass are you trying to describe? I am aware only of an underpass
under Euston Road. Is there one under Tottenham Court Road (other than an
underground railway tunnel)?

The odd thing is that you seem to think that because the authorities
create queue-jumping facilities for bikes and certain other classes of
vehicle, this is some mark of excellence or credit for the privileged group.

No, they are just a reality that impacts on what is and isn't a suitable
form of transport.

Nonsense.

Artificial rules do not change the suitability of a mode. They merely
discriminate against one mode in favour of another.

But for my chosen comparison with a taxi then both are
in the "privileged group" so it makes no difference.

If you can travel faster on a bike than a taxi can travel, even along the
same privileged route not subject to the same artificial delays as those
inflicted on people Considerably Poorer Than Yow, then either your strength
and stamina are astounding or the taxi is subject to some other delay which
you prefer to keep secret.

Perhaps your Knowledge of London is just better than a London taxi-driver's.

I would accept that
private motor cars are even more disadvantaged than taxis for journey time
making them even less suitable.

Less *favoured*. You obviously don't know what "suitable" means.
Old March 26th 11, 08:58 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Simon Mason[_4_]

"Just zis Guy, you know?" wrote:

I only know one person who has permanent effects from traumatic brain
injury. He was working on a roof and fell around 40 feet onto a concrete
floor.

You knew Nigel Pargetter?

Didn't you know - Porky Chapman knows lost of famous people. So many that he has a web page for
them.

You numbskull. Nigel Pargetter was a fictitious character from BBC
R4's "The Archers".
Graham Seed didn't really die, he's an actor the lad.

ffs - you don't say - irony not a strong point of yours

You really are Simples aren't you.

-- * * *
Stopping distances for bicycles do not appear in the HC ... *and *so
cannot be of any consequence.
(Simon Mason - *who cycles at 25mph in 20 mph limits - and thinks it's clever)- Hide quoted text -

You suprise me.
I was certain you were going to use the *whoosh* get out clause.

--
Simon Mason
Old March 26th 11, 09:26 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling,uk.rec.driving
alan.holmes

"The Medway Handyman" wrote in message
On 25/03/2011 21:57, alan.holmes wrote:

So you are more knowledgeable then the BMA?

What are your qualifications then?

Yes

What are your qualifications then?

Better than yours it would seem!

Oh dear, You really are a ****ing idiot.

So you are worse than a ****ing idiot?

Clue. I don't claim to have qualifications higher than the BMA.

The Keller idiot claims he does.

Got that? or was it too complicated?

Old March 26th 11, 09:28 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling,uk.rec.driving
alan.holmes

"BartC" wrote in message ...
"alan.holmes" wrote in message

"BartC" wrote in message

How would you get to that newsagents which is half a mile down the road;
walk, ride, or drive?

I used to drive half a mile to the village for my newspaper every mornig,
but I desperately need some exersize, my duaghter who is much more clever
than me, suggested I wlked, so I strted doing that, it does take a bit
more than 20 minutes, but I do feel better for it!

But if it were raining I would go back to the car!

Actually, most of the time I would drive too. But I do at least get the
bike out and dust it down every so often, especially when someone has
borrowed the car.

Unfortunately my bike has not been used for so long the tyres have rotted
and I haven't the get up and go to change them!(:-(

Alan

--
Bartc

Old March 26th 11, 09:31 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling,uk.rec.driving
alan.holmes

"DavidR" wrote in message
"alan.holmes" wrote

I used to drive half a mile to the village for my newspaper every mornig,
but I desperately need some exersize, my duaghter who is much more clever
than me, suggested I wlked, so I strted doing that, it does take a bit
more than 20 minutes, but I do feel better for it!

Our local Asda is only 1km away. I would never occur to use the car for
getting anything trivial.

My Asda is 3.2 miles away!

But if it were raining I would go back to the car!

A few years ago I was on vacation in some exotic location and one day I
overheard somebody say that they couldn't go swimming because it was
raining.

How strange!

...Is there some biological hazard with rain I should be made aware of?

It sounds like it, if you find out what it is please let us know!

Alan

Old March 26th 11, 10:49 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling,uk.rec.driving
Just zis Guy, you know?[_34_]