How people travel

Old April 28th 11, 06:31 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling,uk.rec.cycling
The Medway Handyman[_4_]

Default How people travel

On 27/04/2011 22:58, BartC wrote:

"Chelsea Tractor Man" wrote in message
On Tue, 26 Apr 2011 13:18:08 +0100, Judith wrote:

Killed : Pedestrian 26 Cyclist 21
KSI: Pedestrian 319 Cyclist 547
All: Pedestrian 1420 Cyclist 3444

My personal experience is of cycling being second only to cancer in
killing
people I know.

You must be unlucky. Without even looking up figures, cancer must kill
several magnitudes more than the 21 cyclists quoted above.

I am very suspicious of why heart attacks are seemingy
common in healthly under 60 cyclists, an osteopath claims cycling
develops
the heart out of proportion to the chest muscles.

Wouldn't that also apply to any sort of exertion, exercise or sport?

But anyway, no way am I
mixing it with trucks and buses on a tiny bit of slow unprotected metal.

I'm getting nervous of that too. Cyclists really need segregated and
purpose-made facilities (not a few ad-hoc markings on pavements),

And who would be paying for them? Not cyclists thats for sure.
Sponging freeloaders.

but
there doesn't seem enough of them to make it worthwhile.

Exactly, but that doesn't stop then being a noisy single issue minority
pressure group who keep demanding this & that. I want, I want, I want....

For fitness swim , run or walk.

Running seems a lot more likely to give you a heart attack (compare
calorie expenditure of c. 300 per hour cycling, 600 per hour jogging,
and 1200 running), and won't do your joints much good either. And while
an hours' running will get you about the same distance as a bike, it's a
lot more effort. Especially downhill...

Old April 28th 11, 06:59 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling,uk.rec.driving,uk.transport
GT

"Yellow" wrote in message
In article dbc7d28c-bf56-4453-9681-a8a030c38e05
@a19g2000prj.googlegroups.com, says...

On Apr 23, 3:58 pm, Yellow wrote:
In article 80e8dabe-756a-4b9b-918a-7549423047c4
@u26g2000vby.googlegroups.com, says...

On Apr 23, 10:21 am, The Medway Handyman
wrote:
On 23/04/2011 10:06, Judith wrote:

Latest DfT figures published:

Based on Distance Traveled

Car/van Driver 49%
Car/van passenger 22%
Rail 8%
Bus 5%
Other 4%
Walk 3%

Oh - and the least popular:
Bicycle 1%

Mode Share - Average Number of trips
Car/Van Driver 41%
Walk 23%
Car van passenger 22%
Bus 7%
Rail 3%
Other 3%

Oh - and bringing up the rear again
Bicycle 2%

Here is a question : what is the least favourite mode of travel -
however you
look at it?

I wonder if that is because people are realising the dangers?

Probably because people have worked out that a push bike isn't a
viable
form of transport.

Do you have any figures for childrens toys?

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/bestsellers/kids

--
Dave - The Medway Handymanwww.medwayhandyman.co.uk

Walking isn't a viable form of transport, either.

Clearly, as 23% of all journeys are on foot it *is* a viable form of
transport.

Only 3 times more
popular than cycling, despite being available freely to just about
everybody.

You are looking at distance rather than number of journeys. Walking is
always going to be limited to distances, on average, of a few miles
where as cycling is realistic for distances 10 times as far.

Rather like the difference between motor vehicles and "non-viable"
bicycles, of course.

Yet cars make 43% of journeys while walking is 23% of journeys but
cycling is just 2%.

No licence needed, no training, no protective clothing, no
taxation, child-friendly, ecological.

You need a decent pair of shoes and a waterproof coat if you are going
to walk regularly, as a form of transport.

I suspect that people are worried about the dangers from other more
self-centred and aggressive modes of transport.

Self-centred and aggressive like the cyclist I saw this morning
perhaps?
Head down, cycling like a trojan past the queuing cars? The cars
waiting
at the red light of a pedestrian crossing where a woman and two
children
were making their way across the road?

Don't keep us in suspense. Did he RLJ?

Sorry, but I don't know what "RLJ" means.

My best guess is red light jump, although I wouldn't put the words in that
order normally!

Old April 28th 11, 07:02 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling,uk.rec.driving,uk.transport
GT

"Squashme" wrote in message
On Apr 27, 8:21 am, NM wrote:
On Apr 26, 3:37 am, Peter Keller wrote:

On Tue, 26 Apr 2011 00:57:51 +0100, The Medway Handyman wrote:

If using a kids toy as a form of transport is safe in today's world,
why
do cyclist ****s constantly whinge about the dangers?

but cyclist non-****s just ride safely and have a glorious time on their
bikes with movement, exercise, wind in hair, companionship with nice
people . Ahhh! that great feeling of being alive, communing with nature

67.4% of statistics are made up.

How do you communicate with the exhaust fumes from a diesel bus, do
you feel alive when threading through the traffic breathing in the
fumes, how is commuting through an urban traffic jam glorious?

"Commuters inside slow-moving cars are exposed to far higher levels of
air pollution in peak traffic times than those using any other form of
transport, new research has revealed.

Car drivers and passengers face pollution levels inside their vehicles
that are two to three times higher than those experienced by
pedestrians and cyclists in the open air, the study has found."

============= reply ============

My car has air filters, so I'll take my chances in my air-conditioned box,
instead of breathing in all those fumes directly!

Old April 28th 11, 07:55 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling,uk.rec.driving,uk.transport
alan.holmes

"F Murtz" wrote in message
alan.holmes wrote:

wrote:
[...]

Yes, these walking journeys are obviously very short, hardly viable.

No licence needed, no training, no protective clothing, no
taxation, child-friendly, ecological.

You need a decent pair of shoes and a waterproof coat if you are going
to walk regularly, as a form of transport.

I suspect that people are worried about the dangers from other more
self-centred and aggressive modes of transport.

Self-centred and aggressive like the cyclist I saw this morning
perhaps?
Head down, cycling like a trojan past the queuing cars? The cars
waiting
at the red light of a pedestrian crossing where a woman and two
children
were making their way across the road?

Don't keep us in suspense. Did he RLJ?

Sorry, but I don't know what "RLJ" means.

Then come back when you do.

Perhaps if you said JRL he may have understood it!

Alan

Johnson's Russia List
Junior Rugby League
Java Research License
Just Right Light
Jackson Robson Licence
John Rylands Library
Jackson Rathbone Lovers
Jindalee Resources Limited
Joint Research Laboratory
Jonathan Ross Ladd
Japan Research Laboratory
Josey Ranch Lake
Journal of Religious Leadership
Jacalin Related Lectin
Jacinto Romero Luna
Jaguar Reef Lodge
James Russell Lowelljrl_home
Joint Research Lab
Joint Robotics Lab
James Realty Limited
James Russell Lowell
James Russell Lowelljrl
Janette Reyes Leos
Japan Research Labaratory
Java Research Licence
Javna Razsvetljava Ltd
Jay Robert Lauer
Jean Ray Laury
Jenna Raye Logan
Jennings Randolph Lake
Jewish Russian Library
Jindalee Resources Ltd
John Richard Lamps
John Robert Liepold
Johnston's River Line
Joint Robotics Laboratory
Jol Racing League
Joshua Roth Limited
Joshua Ryan Leisemann
Journal of Recreation and Leisure
Journal of Research on the Lepidoptera
Judd Refrigeration Ltd
Julia Rogers Library
Julie Research Labs
Jungle River Lodge
Junior Racing League
Justin Ross Lee
Justin Ross Lee's

If people just said what they mean everybody could understand.

Except that only one of those has any relationship to travel!

Old April 28th 11, 08:58 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling,uk.rec.driving,uk.transport
Steve Firth

Squashme wrote:

Wide of the mark, ummm?

Yes, and I see that now, running true to your form, you will now post
increasingly deranged and irrelevant garbage rather than admit that you
****ed up.
Old April 28th 11, 09:17 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling,uk.rec.driving,uk.transport
Squashme

On Apr 28, 8:58*pm, (Steve Firth) wrote:
Squashme wrote:
Wide of the mark, ummm?

Yes, and I see that now, running true to your form, you will now post
increasingly deranged and irrelevant garbage rather than admit that you
****ed up.

Admirably taciturn for you. Probably as close as you can get to
admitting that you misunderstood.
Old April 28th 11, 09:50 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling,uk.rec.driving,uk.transport
Steve Firth

Squashme wrote:
Wide of the mark, ummm?

Yes, and I see that now, running true to your form, you will now post
increasingly deranged and irrelevant garbage rather than admit that you
****ed up.

Admirably taciturn for you. Probably as close as you can get to
admitting that you misunderstood.

I didn't "misunderstand", you ****ed up. Your claim was:

Steve Firth hurling abuse at speeding, screaming ghost
cyclists.

And then you quoted parts of a post by me about the oafish behaviour
cyclists in which I neithr complained about "speeding" nor mentioned
*me* screaming abuse at cyclists but quite the reverse, about cyclists
screaming about at pedestrians.

Your claim above makes you a liar, just like your little chum Simon
"RearrangedPosts" Mason.

And you still don't have the balls to admit that you got it wrong, do
you?

Old April 28th 11, 10:21 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling,uk.rec.driving,uk.transport
Squashme

Squashme wrote:
[...]

Are you a wraith, yes or nooooooooooowwhoooooo?

My post read "the wraith of Steve Firth hurling abuse at speeding,
screaming ghost cyclists." Not "Steve Firth hurling abuse at speeding,
screaming ghost cyclists." You fail to quote me in full. Some would
call that lying.

Does your condition not allow you to see the difference between a
fantasy description and the real world (or at least the web)? Isn't
the expression "ghost cyclists" some sort of clue for you?

Got the quote from Judith, yet, hmmm? I expect that she will help you.
You work well together. I don't think that she has mentioned ghosts,
except the statistic that ghosts are less likely to be killed by
motorists than are cyclists.
Old April 29th 11, 12:09 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling,uk.rec.driving,uk.transport
JNugent[_7_]

On 28/04/2011 17:36, Squashme wrote:
On Apr 28, 10:57 am, wrote:
On 28/04/2011 00:38, Squashme wrote:

(Steve Firth) wrote:
wrote:
Steve Firth:
I realise that your connection to reality remains both tenuous and
fragile, however the sentiments that you attribute to me are in fact
those expressed by Judith. Perhaps you should try to recall who you are
having a hate fest about today?
uk.transport.London Steve Firth 2009 April 15 1.38 pm:-

"On roads like the Great West Road, where despite the cycle lanes
being (a) present and (b) marked appropriately to indicate that one
keeps to the appropriate side of the road (north side east bound,
south side west bound) these individuals simply cycle as they wish
against the flow of traffic more often than not. They also swerve
at silly speed across the width of a four-lane road and ignore all
red lights and Give Way signs. On the canal towpath they ride flat
out at pedestrians screaming and ringing their stupid little bells.
So they're lying hypocrites and I suspect that the vast majority of
cyclists are the same, because every one that I have met who tells me
they're not like that I have subsequently observed to be exactly like
that.
On the few occasions that a survey has been done, it supports my view
that the overwhelming majority of cyclists are red-light jumpers."
So:-
"On the canal towpath they ride flat out at pedestrians screaming and
ringing their stupid little bells."
Spin on that, Stevie baby.

In what credible way do those observations and remarks constitute a "hate-fest"?

If, in your opinion, in order not to be rgearded as "hating" cyclists, one
has to pretend that they never do anything wrong (the only inference which
can be drawn from your post), that tells you a lot about cyclists and about
you, but nothing about SF (whose observations and conclusions are very widely
shared), doesn't it?

You may well be right in all you say. Unfortunately I did not write
about a hatefest. That was the aforementioned Steve Firth. It's
probably my fault in some way, of course, but inthe interests of
strict accuracy:-

" Steve Firth
More options Apr 27, 7:12 pm
Newsgroups: uk.rec.cycling, uk.rec.driving, uk.transport
From: (Steve Firth)
Date: Wed, 27 Apr 2011 19:12:41 +0100
Subject: How people travel
Print | Individual message | Show original | Report this message |
Find messages by this author

wrote:
Steve Firth hurling abuse at speeding, screaming ghost
cyclists.

I realise that your connection to reality remains both tenuous and
fragile, however the sentiments that you attribute to me are in fact
those expressed by Judith. Perhaps you should try to recall who you
are
having a hate fest about today?

Or ask nursey to remind you when she repositions your headstick and
empties your drool bowl. "

Do you see?

If I misread the attributions, that was my mistake and I acknowledge it. Many
thanks for pointing it out.

From: (Steve Firth)
Date: Wed, 27 Apr 2011 19:12:41 +0100

*wrote:
Steve Firth hurling abuse at speeding, screaming ghost
cyclists.

I realise that your connection to reality remains both tenuous and
fragile, however the sentiments that you attribute to me are in fact
those expressed by Judith. Perhaps you should try to recall who you
are
having a hate fest about today?

Or ask nursey to remind you when she repositions your headstick and
empties your drool bowl. "

Do you see?

If I misread the attributions, that was my mistake and I acknowledge it. Many
thanks for pointing it out.

I thank you. Nicely done.

Travel by other ? TimHenderson UK 21 March 14th 07 05:22 PM
Fork travel recommendations on FS with 2 1/2" rear travel crossnutz Mountain Biking 0 November 12th 06 09:49 PM
Groningen in Holland: 60% of people travel by bike cfsmtb Australia 12 June 18th 06 12:51 AM
130mm travel fork on 100mm travel specific frame Richard Hamilton Mountain Biking 12 February 1st 05 11:10 AM
130mm travel fork on 100mm travel specific frame Richard Hamilton UK 3 January 29th 05 10:38 AM