Creaking Carbon bar stem headset interface????

Old May 22nd 05, 07:36 AM
Jock

Default Creaking Carbon bar stem headset interface????

Hi all,
I have a specialized tarmac pro with full dura ace. Its only a couple of 100
k old but it has developed an annoying squeak. When riding off the saddle
the squeak occurs in time with the downward pedal strokes but it is in the
handlebar /stem/ headset interface because if you push hard enough on each
side of the handlebars (standing over the bars) you can replicate the noise
when standing still. The bike has carbon oversized specialized bars and
matching carbon 4 bolt stem. all the bolts seem tight enough (without a
torque wrench) and the brake levers are very secure. I'm wondering about
where the stem meets the carbon spacers. Do you need someting special to
lube carbon?
Anybody solved a similar problem or
1. 105 Kg is too heavy for this bike and the squeak will always be there? or
2. I should take it back to the dealer and keep hassling them until there
are no more squeaks. After all it did cost nearly $6000 AUS so they should
do something to earn their money

Looking forward to any and all replies
Jock

Old May 22nd 05, 07:58 AM
Bill Sornson

Jock wrote:
[...]

If you're not comfortable removing, greasing and replacing stem bolts (and
maybe cleaning the bar while the faceplace is off), then by all means take
it back to the dealer. I wouldn't consider it "hassling" them to insist on
a quiet bike.

Creaks and squeaks suck.

BS

Old May 22nd 05, 08:21 AM
spook

Jock wrote:
[...]

I've never really seen carbon squeak much but YMMV. Are you sure it's
not pressure on the front wheel thats making the noise? Other than that
a bit of lithium grease in the spacers would be worth a try.

brett
Old May 22nd 05, 08:33 AM
Bleve

Take it to the shop you bought it from, get them to fix it!

Old May 22nd 05, 08:44 AM
David Newlands

I don't have a ptoblem dismantling the bars. stem ect but can you
cucessfuuly put grease on the bar/stem interface? I'll definitely try lubing
the spacers and probably the top cap on the stem.
Thanks
Jock

Old May 22nd 05, 12:01 PM
Michael Warner

On Sun, 22 May 2005 16:36:00 +1000, Jock wrote:

I have a specialized tarmac pro with full dura ace. Its only a couple of 100
k old but it has developed an annoying squeak. When riding off the saddle
the squeak occurs in time with the downward pedal strokes but it is in the
handlebar /stem/ headset interface because if you push hard enough on each
side of the handlebars (standing over the bars) you can replicate the noise
when standing still. The bike has carbon oversized specialized bars and
matching carbon 4 bolt stem. all the bolts seem tight enough (without a
torque wrench) and the brake levers are very secure. I'm wondering about
where the stem meets the carbon spacers. Do you need someting special to
lube carbon?

I lightly grease the areas where the bars, stem (carbon) and associated
bits meet whenever they start to squeak or click, and it hasn't caused any
problems.

1. 105 Kg is too heavy for this bike and the squeak will always be there? or
2. I should take it back to the dealer and keep hassling them until there
are no more squeaks. After all it did cost nearly $6000 AUS so they should
do something to earn their money

Apart from the stem/bars, pedals and seatpost/saddle may regularly develop
squeaks and clicks, too. You can't keep taking the bike back for this stuff
forever - learn to pull them apart, clean and grease them up. The one that
you probably shouldn't mess with is the bottom bracket, which may be the
culprit if you eliminate ther others.

--
bpo gallery at http://www4.tpgi.com.au/users/mvw1/bpo
Old May 22nd 05, 03:06 PM
Qui si parla Campagnolo

Jock wrote:
Hi all,
I have a specialized tarmac pro with full dura ace. Its only a couple

of 100
k old but it has developed an annoying squeak. When riding off the

saddle
the squeak occurs in time with the downward pedal strokes but it is

in the
handlebar /stem/ headset interface because if you push hard enough on

each
side of the handlebars (standing over the bars) you can replicate the

noise
when standing still. The bike has carbon oversized specialized bars

and
matching carbon 4 bolt stem. all the bolts seem tight enough (without

torque wrench) and the brake levers are very secure.

You said it all....take it back to the place you bought it. Have all
the bolts greased, torques. Ensure the HS bearings are greased, where
they live in the headtube.

Most bikes outta boxes are assembled poorly.