Bikes on the Tube

Old November 12th 05, 08:24 PM
John Hearns

Default Bikes on the Tube

This evening at Canada Water Tube station, I saw a man and a woman
approach the barriers. The woman was wheeling an obviously new bicycle
from Decathlon, with front basket.
They made an enquiry to the staff at the barrier, who were very helpful
and dashed off to get a tube map for the pair. I heard advice being given
about travelling on the East London up to Whitechapel.
So not all rail/tube staff are unhelpful jobsworths.
Old November 12th 05, 08:49 PM
Nick

"John Hearns" wrote in message
news
This evening at Canada Water Tube station, I saw a man and a woman
approach the barriers. The woman was wheeling an obviously new bicycle
from Decathlon, with front basket.
They made an enquiry to the staff at the barrier, who were very helpful
and dashed off to get a tube map for the pair. I heard advice being given
about travelling on the East London up to Whitechapel.
So not all rail/tube staff are unhelpful jobsworths.

I remember trying to get on the DLR ( maybe it was the Jubilee) at Stratford
going south to Greenwich and was refused. The guard insisted on telling me
about some over ground rail route. My eyes glazed over when I heard it
involved the Woolwich ferry and at least two changes, he seemed upset when I
didn't want to listen to his entire plan. It would have taken hours as
opposed to the 15 minutes it takes to ride. Maybe not a jobsworth but I
wished I hadn't asked.

Old November 12th 05, 09:20 PM
MartinM

The Tube have had a policy on bikes for many years, basically not on
deep level tubes in zone 1;ie everything inside the Circle line (due to
escalators) and certain peak hour restrictions but otherwise they are
widely allowed.

Old November 13th 05, 02:03 AM
Bertie Wiggins

http://www.tfl.gov.uk/tube/using/get...d/bicycles.asp