Is anybody watching this year?

Old July 21st 06, 06:48 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
steve

Default Is anybody watching this year?

In the past few years I've been surprised at how many
non-cyclists/non-cycling-fans had been paying casual or even close attention
to the TdF. Seems like everyone knew who LA was and wanted to keep tabs on
his progress. In fact, it was becoming annoying to have to explain the
obvious points of stage racing to people who didnt understand the
implications of each stages results.

From talking to friends and nieghbors this year, I get the impression almost
no one is aware of Landis and few are following the tour.

Anyone know if OLN ratings are down? Is Landis flying under the american
public's radar?

steve
--
"The accused will now make a bogus statement."
James Joyce
Old July 21st 06, 07:38 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
Scott

steve wrote:
In the past few years I've been surprised at how many
non-cyclists/non-cycling-fans had been paying casual or even close attention
to the TdF. Seems like everyone knew who LA was and wanted to keep tabs on
his progress. In fact, it was becoming annoying to have to explain the
obvious points of stage racing to people who didnt understand the
implications of each stages results.

From talking to friends and nieghbors this year, I get the impression almost
no one is aware of Landis and few are following the tour.

Anyone know if OLN ratings are down? Is Landis flying under the american
public's radar?

steve

If my experience is any indicator, I'd say that there are plenty of
people watching it. At my office I get barraged with enquiries about
stage racing strategy, analysis of what really happened, forecasts for
the next day's stage, etc... from about a dozen non-cycling co-workers
and there are 3 people who've never raced a day in their lives who
insist that I don't talk about the current stage in their earshot
because they can't wait to get home and see the coverage on OLN.

Yesterday, after Floyd's ride of a lifetime, I was inundated with folks
coming by to ask what happened or to say that they'd seen the coverage
online or at least seen a report and they couldn't believe it.

If 40 is the new 30 and grey is the new black, then Floyd is the new
Lance. Aside from a bit of curiousity about how much time he'll crush
Sastre and Pereiro by on Saturday, I'm curious as to whether he'll be
on Leno or Letterman next week, and when (if it hasn't already
happened) he'll be all the rage on Jim Rome's show.

Scott

Old July 21st 06, 07:50 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
Dumbass

Scott wrote:
steve wrote:
In the past few years I've been surprised at how many
non-cyclists/non-cycling-fans had been paying casual or even close attention
to the TdF. Seems like everyone knew who LA was and wanted to keep tabs on
his progress. In fact, it was becoming annoying to have to explain the
obvious points of stage racing to people who didnt understand the
implications of each stages results.

From talking to friends and nieghbors this year, I get the impression almost
[...]

Actually ratings are down. Perhaps the interest of those viewing is
up. There is a lot more to talk about this year. And you need to
understand more about strategy to feel you know what is going on. No
brainer viewing worked OK last year, but not this year.

Old July 21st 06, 08:02 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
Snack

I have no idea who Jim Capel of ESPN is, but he has this piece

Do Yourself a favor: Watch Landis
http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2.../landis/060721
Old July 21st 06, 08:34 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
Dumbass

Snack wrote:
I have no idea who Jim Capel of ESPN is, but he has this piece

Do Yourself a favor: Watch Landis
http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2.../landis/060721

You hear the idea that cycling is not popular in the USA.

But USA is in the top 3 in terms of viewership. France, Germany, USA
(I am not sure of the correct order)

Must be more interest in Spain this year.

Old July 21st 06, 11:42 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
John Forrest Tomlinson

On Fri, 21 Jul 2006 14:02:11 -0500, Snack
wrote:

I have no idea who Jim Capel of ESPN is, but he has this piece

Do Yourself a favor: Watch Landis
http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2.../landis/060721

Good piece. Thanks,

JT

****************************
Remove "remove" to reply
Visit http://www.jt10000.com
****************************
Old July 22nd 06, 12:51 AM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
Krusty

On Fri, 21 Jul 2006 17:48:17 GMT, "steve" wrote:

In fact, it was becoming annoying to have to explain the
obvious points of stage racing to people who didnt understand the
implications of each stages results.

Could you go over that golf analogy again?

Amazing to me that ppl couldn't even grasp that.
Old July 22nd 06, 01:31 AM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
Hunter

Jim Caple wrote:

"It can't all be about Lance, can it? Armstrong may have been a great
champion, but his victories also were almost foregone conclusion midway
through the Tour. There was very little drama last year."

Dumbass,

Well, every year like 1.5 million Americans are diagnosed with cancer,
and 500k or so die from it.

Every year, about 175,000 hip replacements are done, and the ones that
die from it are so old that that they have no interest community with
cool rubber bracelets. Yet. Here's your big chance Floyd.

Also, I'm told that compared to Landis, Armstrong is teh hot.

Chasseur

Old July 22nd 06, 01:33 AM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
RonSonic

On Fri, 21 Jul 2006 17:48:17 GMT, "steve" wrote:

In the past few years I've been surprised at how many
non-cyclists/non-cycling-fans had been paying casual or even close attention
to the TdF. Seems like everyone knew who LA was and wanted to keep tabs on
his progress. In fact, it was becoming annoying to have to explain the
obvious points of stage racing to people who didnt understand the
implications of each stages results.

From talking to friends and nieghbors this year, I get the impression almost
no one is aware of Landis and few are following the tour.

Anyone know if OLN ratings are down? Is Landis flying under the american
public's radar?

Our local paper the Tampa Tribune has been running tour coverage on page eight
in 1/16th of a page straight from the wires. Today it was the front of the
sports section with a huge pic of the punch..

Ron
Old July 22nd 06, 03:32 AM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
RJG

"Dumbass" wrote in message
oups.com...

steve wrote:
In the past few years I've been surprised at how many
non-cyclists/non-cycling-fans had been paying casual or even close
attention
to the TdF. Seems like everyone knew who LA was and wanted to keep tabs
on
his progress. In fact, it was becoming annoying to have to explain the
obvious points of stage racing to people who didnt understand the
implications of each stages results.

From talking to friends and nieghbors this year, I get the impression
almost
no one is aware of Landis and few are following the tour.

Anyone know if OLN ratings are down? Is Landis flying under the american
public's radar?

Ratings are down:

But they are still about double of what OLN got for the NHL.