Levi should have won TdF?

Old August 6th 07, 07:10 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing

Default Levi should have won TdF?

All,

Something I have not seen discussed: Should this have been Levi's year
to win the Tour de France?

In stages that I watched, he appeared to be significantly stronger
than Contador. In several, he was relentlessly attaching Rasmussen,
trying to crack him, while Contador just followed. Yet Levi was never
left behind at the finish by Rasmussen and Contador.

It seems to me that the Discovery Channel strategy was to preserve
Contador's white jersey for sure, and that by having Levi work for
Contador they could make a reasonable try at the yellow without
risking the white jersey.

Given that Levi Leipheimer was the nominal leader of the team, it
seemed to me that in the absence of Rasmussen, or if Contador had
worked with Levi anything like 50/50, or even if Rasmussen had been
withdrawn early enough for Levi and Contador to race head-to-head in
mountain stages, then Levi would have won the Tour de France.

I didn't see every stage in detail, I admit. Perhaps I missed seeing
something?

Thoughts?

Eric

Old August 6th 07, 07:44 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
Dan Connelly

Discovery's goal was to win the tour, not to have Levi win, nor to have Contador win. Coming out of Alpes, Contador had a better GC position, which he solidified with the W on stage 14. Still, despite convention, Discovery allowed Leipheimer to work for himself, as he dropped Contador toward the finish and took what could have been valuable bonus seconds on stage 15. If there was any criticism, it was that Contador was getting a lack of support, not Leipheimer. Leipheimer was clearly the back-up option.

Cycling's a team sport, something which is easy to forget. It's not "may the best man win". Discovery showed they were the best team. Leipheimer benefitted from that strength, just as Contador did. Leipheimer would not have been better off, for example, on Gerolsteiner.

Old August 6th 07, 08:45 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing

On Aug 6, 12:10 pm, wrote:
[...]

You must have only watched the last climbing stage and the final TT,
as those were the only days Levi showed any real strength at all. As
for attacking Rasmussen, I almost spit my coffee out when I read
that. Levi himself admits he can't attack and from my recollection he
didn't attack once until after Rasmussen was sent home from the tour.

Old August 6th 07, 09:32 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing

On Aug 6, 8:10 pm, wrote:

I didn't see every stage in detail, I admit. Perhaps I missed seeing
something?

Thoughts?

My thoughts a not only didn't you see every stage in detail, you
didn't see any stage in detail.

Old August 6th 07, 11:41 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
Tom Kunich

wrote in message
ups.com...
On Aug 6, 8:10 pm, wrote:

I didn't see every stage in detail, I admit. Perhaps I missed seeing
something?

Thoughts?

My thoughts a not only didn't you see every stage in detail, you
didn't see any stage in detail.

I agree completely.

On the other hand - if Levi had had more support and if he had been stronger
starting in the second week instead of the third, he had a very good chance
of beating Rassmussen hands down.

And if pigs had wings maybe they could fly.

Old August 7th 07, 12:41 AM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
Andre

On Aug 6, 7:00 pm, John Forrest Tomlinson
wrote:
On Mon, 06 Aug 2007 18:10:22 -0000, wrote:
Should this have been Levi's year
to win the Tour de France?

No.

Next question.

I didn't see every stage in detail, I
admit. Perhaps I missed seeing
something?

Perhaps.
--
JT
****************************

You missed the detail in the stages.

Old August 7th 07, 08:50 AM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
Donald Munro

monsler wrote:
In stages that I watched, he appeared to be significantly stronger
than Contador. In several, he was relentlessly attaching Rasmussen,
trying to crack him, while Contador just followed. Yet Levi was never
left behind at the finish by Rasmussen and Contador.

I didn't see every stage in detail, I admit. Perhaps I missed seeing
something?

Thoughts?

I think your satellite dish must be very valuable. It seems to be able to
pick up transmissions from alternate universes, like something out of the
twilight zone.

Old August 7th 07, 06:20 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
Andy Coggan

On Aug 6, 1:44 pm, Dan Connelly
wrote:
Discovery's goal was to win the tour, not to have Levi win, nor to have Contador win. Coming out of Alpes, Contador had a better GC position, which he solidified with the W on stage 14. Still, despite convention, Discovery allowed Leipheimer to work for himself, as he dropped Contador toward the finish and took what could have been valuable bonus seconds on stage 15.

According to Contador, he was calling for Leipheimer to wait for him,
but apparently the message didn't get through.

Andy Coggan

See How Levi Rolls Casey Kerrigan Racing 2 April 11th 07 04:30 AM
Levi? [email protected] Racing 30 July 10th 06 11:23 AM
Levi, what have you done for us lately? Hunter Racing 1 June 17th 06 10:28 AM
Levi Rick Roof Racing 15 June 12th 06 03:56 AM
Levi didn't know...? Jet Racing 17 July 26th 05 02:00 PM