Tour of Turkey

Old April 24th 09, 06:12 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
William Asher

Default Tour of Turkey

Why does the one in the green coat have a shiner?

http://www.pezcyclingnews.com/photos...rk09-girls.jpg

http://tinyurl.com/cvpwno

--
Bill Asher
Old April 24th 09, 06:42 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
Susan Walker

William Asher wrote:
Why does the one in the green coat have a shiner?
http://www.pezcyclingnews.com/photos...rk09-girls.jpg

Friendly slap for being ugly?
Old April 24th 09, 07:08 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
Donald Munro[_3_]

William Asher wrote:
Why does the one in the green coat have a shiner?

http://www.pezcyclingnews.com/photos...rk09-girls.jpg

http://tinyurl.com/cvpwno

She was boxing Bos.

Old April 24th 09, 07:18 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
Paul B. Anders

Someone educate me, I've never been to Turkey and have no idea of the
level of infrastructure present. Is it the kind of place where if you
were a pro bike racer, you'd feel comfortable with the safety of the
event (e.g. road clousre and police support), and that if you had an
accident and needed medical attention, that you'd get decent care? I
ask because I often see events held in places where it's my impression
that as a rider you'd have to be pretty brave or ignorant/stupid to do
the event.

No judgements here, I just know little to nothing about Turkey.
Old April 24th 09, 08:19 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
Robert Chung[_2_]

William Asher wrote:
Why does the one in the green coat have a shiner?

http://www.pezcyclingnews.com/photos...rk09-girls.jpg

She's Armenian?

Old April 24th 09, 10:32 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
William Asher

Donald Munro wrote:

William Asher wrote:
Why does the one in the green coat have a shiner?

http://www.pezcyclingnews.com/photos...rk09-girls.jpg

http://tinyurl.com/cvpwno

She was boxing Bos.

If she was boxing the other guy, then the crash would make sense, at least
to me. Impey got in a fight with the woman, and he landed first and she
got a shiner. But then she got rolling and beat the holy crap out of him
(Turkish chicks are tough, it comes from growing up with their brothers,
just like in the American south). So Impey paid Bos to crash him, so he
would have a reasonable explanation for all the facial injuries when he got
back home.

This is a standard trick, and was used famously in Star Wars: The Empire
Stricks Back when the snow beast attacks Luke in the opening scenes and
injures him to explain the scars on Hamill's face he got from a car
accident.

--
Bill Asher
Old April 24th 09, 10:35 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
William Asher

Robert Chung wrote:

William Asher wrote:
Why does the one in the green coat have a shiner?

http://www.pezcyclingnews.com/photos...rk09-girls.jpg

She's Armenian?

Possibly, but the Bos/Impey fight cover story makes more sense.

--
Bill Asher
Old April 25th 09, 12:23 AM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
Ryan Cousineau

In article ,
William Asher wrote:

Why does the one in the green coat have a shiner?

http://www.pezcyclingnews.com/photos...rk09-girls.jpg

http://tinyurl.com/cvpwno

Stupid photographer had them facing the sun. She's less professional
than the others, and didn't give up her vision for the sake of the photo.

That's actually a pretty awful picture.

Old April 25th 09, 12:29 AM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
Ryan Cousineau

In article
,
"Paul B. Anders" wrote:

Someone educate me, I've never been to Turkey and have no idea of the
level of infrastructure present. Is it the kind of place where if you
were a pro bike racer, you'd feel comfortable with the safety of the
event (e.g. road clousre and police support), and that if you had an
accident and needed medical attention, that you'd get decent care? I
ask because I often see events held in places where it's my impression
that as a rider you'd have to be pretty brave or ignorant/stupid to do
the event.

No judgements here, I just know little to nothing about Turkey.

This means less than it once would have, but the only reason Turkey
isn't already an EU country is the longstanding Turkey-Greece hate-fest*.

It would be reasonable to describe Turkey's infrastructure as like that
of Portugal. There are some backwaters, but they have a fairly
disciplined military, and I assume that trickles down to a reasonable
police force. Medical care should be at a high standard in the big
cities, and I don't know so much about the outlying areas.

I'd say it's at least as well-suited to holding a pro bike race as
Qatar, for example.

Bemusingly, this now means Turkey has a more active cycling culture than
Greece, which is just nutty.

*I don't judge. The most immediate cause in both countries would be the
fate of Cyprus. The differential economics of Greek Cyprus (good) and
Turkish Cyprus (bad) promise to cause reunification shortly.

Old April 25th 09, 06:53 AM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
Michael Press

In article ,
William Asher wrote:

Why does the one in the green coat have a shiner?

http://www.pezcyclingnews.com/photos...rk09-girls.jpg

http://tinyurl.com/cvpwno

You should see the other hostess.

--