Extra-Large Toe Clips ?

Old May 20th 11, 06:29 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
(PeteCresswell)

Default Extra-Large Toe Clips ?

My size fifteens have been getting away from me lately. One
more close encounter with the top tube or the saddle horn and I
think my voice is gonna start changing.

We are not talking efficiency or cosmetics he only keeping the
foot from coming off the pedal.

Aside from shoe size, the other complicating factor is that I do
not wear cycling shoes. Sometimes even lightweight hiking
shoes....

Did the deed on my SS last year and here's what's been working
for me since then on that bike: http://tinyurl.com/3kre7uy

I think those are Zefal - pretty much like what Bike Friday
offers at http://tinyurl.com/3h9ecc3.

Note the double strap guides on top - which seem to amend
themselves to the kludge better than a single guide. Also note
that the whole clip is higher pedal-to-strap-guides than most
steel clips - also an important feature non-cycling shoes.

Now I'd like to do something similar on my "real" bike using
these pedals: http://tinyurl.com/3as7rp2

I'd remove the non-skid studs on the clip sides, of course....
and those pedals would provide a more comfortable platform for
thin or soft-soled shoes than the ones on the SS.

Before I try the same kludge, does anybody know of something
purpose-built for really big shoes? Googling "Toe clips large"
returns a lot of hits, but nothing out of the ordinary.

I'm thinking it might be a logical trekking accessory - or does
everybody just use clipless or do without?
--
PeteCresswell
Old May 20th 11, 06:38 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
SMS

On 5/20/2011 10:29 AM, (PeteCresswell) wrote:
[...]

Power Grips might be one solution. I had them on one bike and they
worked well, actually worked better than toe clips as I could position
the shoe properly on the pedal.
Old May 20th 11, 06:50 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi

(PeteCresswell) wrote:
[...]

That pedal doesn't lend itself readily to toeclips. Similar
compatible one-piece aluminum pedals are roughly $20 up.

The Zefal MTB clip in Zytel nylon is both tougher and much
taller than the standard Asian models you referenced. The
strap loops may be trimmed away if needed.

Consider longer bolts with spacers between pedal face and
toeclip for your size 52 shoes, again, as needed. Shoot for
ball of foot over pedal spindle as a rough starting place.

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/
Old May 20th 11, 06:54 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
landotter

On May 20, 12:38*pm, SMS wrote:
[...]

There are several similar designs now on the market which are wider,
if that's an issue. They're hugely popular with the fixed gear
freestyle crowd.
Old May 20th 11, 06:57 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
landotter

Hold Fasts come to mind. http://www.holdfastordie.com/
Old May 20th 11, 07:05 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On May 20, 12:38*pm, SMS wrote:
On 5/20/2011 10:29 AM, (PeteCresswell) wrote:

deleted
I'm thinking it might be a logical trekking accessory - or does
everybody just use clipless or do without?

Power Grips might be one solution. I had them on one bike and they
worked well, actually worked better than toe clips as I could position
the shoe properly on the pedal.- Hide quoted text -

http://www.amazon.com/Power-Grips-St...5914498&sr=1-1

If your size is over 11 be sure to order the larger size Power Grips
Straps.
Old May 20th 11, 08:05 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Duane Hebert[_4_]

On 5/20/2011 1:29 PM, (PeteCresswell) wrote:
[...]

There are some suggestions below but out of curiosity, why not use
clipless pedals? They're easier to get in and out of than toe clips.

You can get some MTB shoes and SPD pedal combinations that aren't that
expensive and the MTB shoes have recessed cleats that allow you to walk.
You can get dual function pedals that allow you to use street shoes on
one side and SPD cleats on the other.

Old May 21st 11, 12:16 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

Power Grips

I tried Power Grips a couple of years ago.

Problem I perceived was that when I go down, my feet would stay trapped in
them. Ditto those times in traffic when one needs to get a foot on the
ground really fast without thinking.

"Perceived" being theboperative word..
Old May 21st 11, 01:38 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
(PeteCresswell)

Per AMuzi:
Shoot for
ball of foot over pedal spindle as a rough starting place.

Right on the spindle is too unstable for me - who can't feel very
much in the legs/feet.

One the SS pedals, trial-and-error has it 1.8" in front of the
spindle wearing a certain pair of shoes.

I haven't tried to fine-tune it. Maybe less would work, but
1.8" is doing the job.... and may be more like 1.25" depending on
the shoes/boots used.
--
PeteCresswell
Old May 21st 11, 01:39 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
(PeteCresswell)

Per :

"Perceived" being theboperative word..

And, considering LandOtter's comments, maybe I need to look into
those things. The price is definitely right - since I have a
set on the shelf....
--
PeteCresswell

CX clips Susan Walker Racing 5 February 1st 09 03:35 AM
Help me commit the mortal sin of using large-large Reid Priedhorsky General 11 May 13th 07 05:22 AM
a few clips... uniryder Unicycling 8 August 11th 05 08:37 PM
Extra extra large waterproof wanted Steph Peters UK 22 July 4th 04 09:05 PM
Extra Large SPD compatible shoes John Morey Mountain Biking 4 July 27th 03 04:29 PM