current recommend for a SPD compatible campus pedal?

Old July 12th 13, 12:39 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Nate Nagel[_2_]

Default current recommend for a SPD compatible campus pedal?

Is it still the Shimano M324 or is there something better out now?

I think my old ones have finally bit it. Left side came off the spindle
twice today while I was riding. Am a little disappointed, I've only put
about 500 miles on the bike since the last time the computer battery
died, and they looked like they still had some life in them when I
bought the bike used, what, five years ago?

I still have a set of SPD only pedals that can get me by for a while
that probably have less than 1K miles on them (I bought those new) but
after using both I don't mind the campus pedals and it's nice to not
have to get kitted up if I'm only riding a mile or two to the store or
whatever.

nate

--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.
http://members.cox.net/njnagel
Old July 12th 13, 04:07 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Dan O

On Thursday, July 11, 2013 4:39:23 PM UTC-7, Nate Nagel wrote:
Is it still the Shimano M324 or is there something better out now?

I think my old ones have finally bit it. Left side came off the spindle

twice today while I was riding. Am a little disappointed, I've only put

about 500 miles on the bike since the last time the computer battery

died, and they looked like they still had some life in them when I

bought the bike used, what, five years ago?

I still have a set of SPD only pedals that can get me by for a while

that probably have less than 1K miles on them (I bought those new) but

after using both I don't mind the campus pedals and it's nice to not

have to get kitted up if I'm only riding a mile or two to the store or

whatever.

Changing shoes is not a big production, but sure it's nice to just hop
on and go. That's why I have a bike with plastic platform pedals. I
don't even have to wear any shoes at all (although my wife makes me put
on a shirt and shoes to go inside the store). Also, being a $65 bike
(and a wholesome local community), I don't have to futz with a lock.

But as for SPD pedals, everybody recommends the M5xx or whatever 'cause
they're inexpensive, and I've never used them so can't say otherwise, but
I can recommend the M747's, which are simply awesome. I don't think they
make that model number anymore, but if I ever need new SPD pedals I'll go
with XT.
Old July 12th 13, 04:16 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Dan O

On Friday, July 12, 2013 8:07:44 AM UTC-7, Dan O wrote:
On Thursday, July 11, 2013 4:39:23 PM UTC-7, Nate Nagel wrote:

Is it still the Shimano M324 or is there something better out now?
I think my old ones have finally bit it. Left side came off the spindle
twice today while I was riding. Am a little disappointed, I've only put
about 500 miles on the bike since the last time the computer battery
died, and they looked like they still had some life in them when I
bought the bike used, what, five years ago?

Oh, about buying used and appearing to have some life left. My M747's
were $5 (five dollars!) on CL. They were scuffed and grungy and had a
lot of rust spots on them. They cleaned up reasonably, came apart for
axle cleaning and service, and seem like they'll go on forever.

Old July 12th 13, 05:00 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Duane[_3_]

On 7/11/2013 7:39 PM, Nate Nagel wrote:
Is it still the Shimano M324 or is there something better out now?

I think my old ones have finally bit it. Left side came off the spindle
twice today while I was riding. Am a little disappointed, I've only put
about 500 miles on the bike since the last time the computer battery
died, and they looked like they still had some life in them when I
bought the bike used, what, five years ago?

I still have a set of SPD only pedals that can get me by for a while
that probably have less than 1K miles on them (I bought those new) but
after using both I don't mind the campus pedals and it's nice to not
have to get kitted up if I'm only riding a mile or two to the store or
whatever.

I think Shimano still sells the M324s. IIRC they're around 50 bucks
now. I don't know any better options for the dual pedals.

Old July 12th 13, 07:20 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Nate Nagel[_2_]

On 07/12/2013 11:07 AM, Dan O wrote:
[...]

I'm pretty sure that the ones that I have kicking around somewhere (they
were on my other bike but I took them off to replace with platforms so
my friend could ride it, need to find the box with all my parts in it)
are in fact M747s. I had no problems with them at all save for the fact
that if I'm just kicking around the house I tend to slip on a pair of
boat shoes that are sitting by the door to go out, the soles are way too
flexible to ride anything but a platform pedal, hence my question.
Yeah, I could wear different shoes, but they are convenient and
comfortable. I just like the option if I feel like going somewhere
close enough that I'd feel guilty driving, I can just do a quick tire
check, roll the bike outside, and take off.

After a little searching the options seem to be

-Shimano PD-M324 (probably the pedals that the ones that I have now are
modeled after)
-Shimano PD-A530
-Wellgo (what model?)

Anyone tried the A530s and how to they compare to the more conventional
looking 324s?

anything else?

nate

Old July 12th 13, 07:29 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Duane[_3_]

On 7/12/2013 2:20 PM, Nate Nagel wrote:
[...]

I've used these:
http://www.getprice.com.au/Wellgo-Mu...--59039325.htm

http://store.bikefriday.com/product_...ducts_id=10563

Old July 12th 13, 08:53 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Lou Holtman[_8_]

On 2013-07-12 18:20:13 +0000, Nate Nagel said:

[...]

I have the A530 on one of my bikes and I don't like them. For normal
shoes they are alway in the wrong orientation and you have to flip the
first. After that they are OK but the moment your foot gets of the
pedal the flip over again. If you like your M324 stick to them.
--

Lou

Old July 12th 13, 09:03 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Duane[_3_]

On 7/12/2013 3:53 PM, Lou Holtman wrote:
On 2013-07-12 18:20:13 +0000, Nate Nagel said:

[...]

I don't really like the M324s either. I find that they are too wide if
I want to make a sharp turn. At least on the Volpe. Maybe it's
different on a different bike. I put a regular set of spds on that bike
and I have a pair of MTB shoes that are pretty walkable. I keep them
with the bike so I just slip them on and go.
Old July 12th 13, 09:19 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Nate Nagel[_2_]

On 07/12/2013 03:53 PM, Lou Holtman wrote:
On 2013-07-12 18:20:13 +0000, Nate Nagel said:

[...]

Ah, so the 324s are "primarily platform" (that is, at rest, the platform
side will be up) and the 530s are "primarily SPD"

good to know!

nate

Old July 13th 13, 01:32 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
N8N

Well, this whole discussion just got real academic... real 324s, Craigslist, $25. Done!

Will a 29er work for college campus commute? [email protected] Techniques 74 October 30th 09 07:06 AM
Campus riding surndr Unicycling 17 November 19th 08 06:26 PM
recommend a pedal for a clipless noob Nate Nagel[_2_] Techniques 52 May 15th 08 03:23 AM
Prequel to UCSB Unicycling: CAMPUS Jester2000 Unicycling 11 October 1st 06 10:04 AM
Campus commuter... Phil, Squid-in-Training Mountain Biking 12 July 9th 03 08:07 PM