Current recommend for a helmet?

Old December 1st 20, 09:10 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_4_]

Default Current recommend for a helmet?

On 11/30/2020 8:37 PM, John B. wrote:
On Mon, 30 Nov 2020 18:27:13 -0500, Frank Krygowski
wrote:

On 11/30/2020 5:57 PM, John B. wrote:
On Sun, 29 Nov 2020 21:52:05 -0500, Frank Krygowski
wrote:

On 11/29/2020 9:28 PM, AMuzi wrote:
On 11/29/2020 6:53 PM, Joy Beeson wrote:

I want a helmet with a functioning chin strap -- that is, one I can
tighten or loosen while riding, and most thoroughly *NOT* one that I
have to take the helmet off to adjust, making the adjustment into a
series of wild guesses that may or may not converge.

Modern helmets use a nylon snap buckle because it can fail at extreme
load to prevent choking. Metal double D-rings aren't used now for that
reason.

Since you, as I, can sew I would imagine bypassing the convoluted strap
path in favor of simply passing the strap through one buckle loop, then
adding some velcro on one side would do what you want.

Bike helmet straps are amazingly cumbersome to adjust. As a result, few
riders have them properly adjusted "by the book," so to speak. Almost
none have them so tight that only one or two fingers can fit between the
straps and the jaw, as cyclists are told to do. Many have them tilted
back, Easter bonnet style, exposing the forehead.

But it doesn't matter. As long as it's perched somewhere on the head, it
can generate a "saved my life!!!" story. That story is what really matters.

Good Lord! Yet another skill required to properly use a bicycle.
Proper helmet strap adjustment!

I find it rather strange that having been around several "helmeted"
activities, motor racing, sky diving, horse racing, and so on, I never
heard this esoteric skill mentioned.

Oh, it's not easy! The government had to tell you exactly how to do it!

https://www.nhtsa.gov/sites/nhtsa.do...g-a-helmet.pdf

Having read that, I have a question, Teacher. Is it the fact that the
helmet is so difficult to manage or is it that the average wearer is
(well) too awkward to manage?

In this case, I put the blame on the designers.

The product is intended for everybody, because of course _everybody_
must wear a bike helmet every time you ride. (Hah!) Yet I know very well
educated and intelligent people who have trouble getting the adjustment
right.

I'm not saying the design problem is easy, given the super-low cost
target they are aiming for. But most existing designs get a grade of D.

--
- Frank Krygowski
Old December 26th 20, 04:55 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
N8N[_2_]

On Sunday, November 29, 2020 at 1:00:53 PM UTC-5, wrote:
On Saturday, November 28, 2020 at 1:35:11 PM UTC-8, N8N wrote:
Good afternoon all,

was just cleaning up when I picked up my bike helmet and one of the plastic bits just cracked in my hand. Guess it's time for a new one; especially when I look at it and see a 2008 manufacture date (do as I say not as I do.) Pretty sure it's a Trek "Vapor".

What to buy? It's not like I can just run down to my LBS and start trying them on, although if I knew what I wanted, I'm sure I could get it from them to toss them a little bit of business, but it's all curbside pickup and by appointment now.

Would like something well ventilated as I'm a damnyankee living south of the Mason-Dixon, so most of the year it's warmer already than I'd prefer. Affordable is a plus.

thanks for any advice.

My recommendation is for a Trek(Bontrager) Q-cell helmet. These were designed to combat the actual cause of serious head injuries - concussion and not skull fracture which the international standard has been designed for. They are not particularly expensive and I have already experienced head blows that had no effect although I have already had a serious concussion.

I'm leaning toward that myself, as the old helmet was a Trek brand and once fitted I really didn't have any complaints about it. (completely coincidental, I'm not even sure if I had a Trek bike yet when I bought it; the colorway matches my old Cannondale) Entry level model is the Starvos which looks OK to me but all reviews say it's clunky but otherwise OK... reading up on other models now to see if I want to spend more money.

I know this discussion is about a month old but I was working pretty much constantly up until the holidays, and I spent all my time off cleaning up the house and putting a new suspension under my car. (hey, it might not have been riding, but at least it was activity.)

Any other opinions are gratefully welcomed.