The Blueshift nature hour

Old March 17th 05, 07:25 AM
tomblackwood

Default The Blueshift nature hour

Thanks to Harper's generosity, I’ve been having a great time the past
couple weeks riding around on a borrowed Blueshift. It's been fun
getting the hang of the geared uni, practicing on freemounting
consistently, racing my son around the block on his b*ke,
and--rarely--getting the thing moving well above my run-out speed and
enjoying the resulting burst of pure adrenalin. Last weekend, I set a
new "Blackwood Land Speed Record". Don't know the exact speed, but I
know it was faster than I've ever gone on my Coker, which probably puts
it around 17mph. I know that's easy money for lots of riders, but I'm
just me. Was happy for the personal best.

But this post is really about the ride I had yesterday. The one
challenge I've been having the past couple weeks is that my neighborhood
has lots of ups and downs and turns…no real space that’s long and flat
where I could just open Blueshift up and see how well I could spin her.
I've been waiting for the chance.

Fortunately, my company had me at an overnight offsite within a couple
stone throws from the Sammamish River Trail in Woodinville. This trail
is a favorite of mine...no ups and downs (which might be one reason),
but visually interesting and quite peaceful. My first long ride on the
trail was documented in this 'post' (http://tinyurl.com/5tfzo), and in
photos
'here' (http://gallery.unicyclist.com/album331).

Anyway, since I'd be staying right by the trail, I tossed Blueshift in
the car with plans for an early morning ride. I hit the Trail by 7am
right by the Redhook Brewery, heading north. It took me a mile or so to
get warmed up, but eventually I was able to start spinning with some
consistency, at a pace I’m guessing was around 12-14 mph. It was nice to
see the miles disappearing pretty quickly, and it felt faster than it
has on my Coker, although definitely not as comfortable. Blueshift
requires more concentration--at least for me--than just spinning on a
direct drive 36". The act of recovering when you hit the edge of the
balance envelope is also a bit more strenuous, and a bit harder on the
knees (well, on my bad knees...).

I only had time to do about 8 miles, so my plan was to ride north to a
convenient turnaround point where the trail temporarily runs along a
public road, then have a quick snack and head back. I was feeling the
positive Blueshift karma. At one point, a small group of Canadian geese
flew along with me, honking their fool heads off before eventually
landing in the river to feed and complain. The trail is also a popular
fishing spot for Great Blue Herons, and I've spotted them on almost
every ride I've taken there. Yesterday morning was no exception, and
once I'd bagged the "sighting", I was content, and thinking my day was
pretty much made from a "nature encounter" perspective.

But it wasn't. Just before the turnaround spot, there's a small bridge
on the trail over a creek that flows into the river. I needed to make a
saddle adjustment, so I started slowing down and pulling over to grab
the railing on the bridge. Just as I got to the railing, I noticed a big
black bird overhead. At first I thought it was a crow from the color,
then quickly noticed it was much too large for that. By that point, it
was gliding about 15 yards in front of me and 5 yards above me in
elevation. It kind of stalled for a second, which gave me time to see
the white head and white tail, then it dropped fast right past me and
straight down to where the creek and the river met. I looked over the
railing to see it hit the water and rise off with a good size fish in
its talons, white tail spread wide, slowly gaining altitude. And I
wasn't the only observer, since at this point a crow decided to give
chase just in case the fish managed to wriggle free. I'm guessing he
never got his wish, but he stayed right with the eagle for as far as I
could track them, which was probably a visual mile.

I've seen bald eagles before, but never anywhere near this close, and
never in the act of bagging a fish right in front of me. It's kind of
funny that my most significant wildlife sightings the last two
years--deer, heron, eagles-- have all been while on a unicycle.

Blueshift is a lovely machine, and I'm glad our paths could run together
for a few miles. Harper, I'll get her back to you this weekend, with
karma and spokes all intact.

--
tomblackwood - Registered Nurtz

Tailgate at your own risk.....

"By George! The man's a genius!"
Murde Mental

Old March 17th 05, 02:56 PM
UniBrier

Great ride and write up. Canadian Geese, Great Blue Heron, and Bald
Eagle. You got the Hat Trick. Any bonus points with Fupped Duck?

I feel the need to point out two things:

1. The speed limit on the trail is 15mph. Be carefull of the Bothell
Police radar trap. Really, they do it!

2. This may be the first time a member of SARS (Seattle Area Rider
Society) admitted to riding before 10:00AM.

--
UniBrier - Its Time to Ride

Steve DeKoekkoek

Hop Drop & Roll

UniBrier's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/1404

Old March 17th 05, 03:46 PM
ChangingLINKS.com

Excellent write up!

/wanting a Schlumpf

--
ChangingLINKS.com - member

Drew Brown
'Changing LINKS' (http://www.ChangingLINKS.com)
ChangingLINKS.com's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/5468

Old March 17th 05, 04:05 PM
aspenmike

Great stuff Tom, loved the play by play of the eagle vs fish. Keep at
it.

--
aspenmike - unicycling albino
aspenmike's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/3768

Old March 17th 05, 05:31 PM
BraveSirStupid

Tom,

Between your and Aspenmike's posts, i feel like a monkey in a cage
reaching for a banana he can barely touch with his fingertips, but is
still out of his grasp. Must grow longer arms.

Your [plural you] posts are simultaneously making my remodeling project
more difficult to work on, and quixotically, speeding its completion!

Bon wobble,

max

--
BraveSirStupid - i'm a moron so you don't have to be

Freedom! Horrible Horrible Freedom!!!
BraveSirStupid's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/7738

Old March 17th 05, 05:44 PM
Erin

Nice write up Tom; felt like I was there with you - sans the wear and
tear on my knees.

--
Erin - Onewheeler

Ride more, with less.
Erin's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/2036

Old March 19th 05, 12:16 PM
BraveSirStupid

While practicing during yesterday's lunch hour, i heard a strange
staccato alto piping noise. It definitely wasn't geese, and the noise
became so loud and omnipresent that it distracted me from my
freemounting, so i looked around. hmmm. Then i looked up and saw two
flocks 'sand hill cranes'
(http://www.mbr-pwrc.usgs.gov/id/framlst/i2060id.html) of orbiting each
other, then merging, about 500+ feet above me.

The flocks completed their inward spiraling, merged and flew away, 100
of these gigantor flying sauropods on their way to ...wisconsin?

max

New Hour Record unisk8r Unicycling 81 September 1st 05 03:14 PM
Crazy 16 hour day of insane muni! munimanpete Unicycling 13 March 7th 05 08:39 AM
Hour record observations Carl Sundquist Racing 35 January 30th 05 11:28 AM
you people are gay MagillaGorilla Racing 282 December 7th 04 07:06 PM
Another Addition to My "Required Reading for the Entire Planet": _Significant Others -- The Ape-Human Continuum and the Quest for Human Nature_ Mike Vandeman Mountain Biking 8 April 11th 04 12:13 PM