Gloves For Commuting

Old January 10th 08, 04:17 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Bob[_2_]

Default Gloves For Commuting

Hello all, I have a pair of Altura Thremastretch gloves and I'm not too
happy with them. The "windproof" fabric, isn't that windproof, and when
it gets a bit nippy, they ain't that warm. Can any one recommend a good
glove (or gloves, i.e. inner + outer) for winter commuting...?

Cheers,

--
bob [at] bobarnott [dot] com http://www.bobarnott.com/
"Crash programs fail because they are based on theory that,
Old January 10th 08, 04:26 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling

On Jan 10, 4:17*pm, Bob wrote:
Hello all, I have a pair of Altura Thremastretch gloves and I'm not too
happy with them.

Great. I buy a pair of gloves in the EBC sale, throw the packaging
away and get ready to use them. Then Bob tells me they're crap. This
is the same week when the desk cupboard hinge acted like a pair of
scissors and cut through the cable of the new headphones and the cat
peed on my new jacket. I think I'll leave off buying things for
while.

David
Old January 10th 08, 04:32 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Bob[_2_]

wrote:
On Jan 10, 4:17 pm, Bob wrote:
Hello all, I have a pair of Altura Thremastretch gloves and I'm not too
happy with them.

Great. I buy a pair of gloves in the EBC sale, throw the packaging
away and get ready to use them. Then Bob tells me they're crap.

I didn't say they were crap, just that I don't like them too much. YMMV.

Cheers,

Old January 10th 08, 04:42 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Ekul Namsob

Bob wrote:

Hello all, I have a pair of Altura Thremastretch gloves and I'm not too
happy with them. The "windproof" fabric, isn't that windproof, and when
it gets a bit nippy, they ain't that warm. Can any one recommend a good
glove (or gloves, i.e. inner + outer) for winter commuting...?

My wife's happy with her Alturas. They appear to be Altitudes.

Cheers,
Luke

exile in Lancashire http://www.shrimper.org.uk
Old January 10th 08, 04:50 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling

On Jan 10, 4:32*pm, Bob wrote:
wrote:
On Jan 10, 4:17 pm, Bob wrote:
Hello all, I have a pair of Altura Thremastretch gloves and I'm not too
happy with them.

Great. *I buy a pair of gloves in the EBC sale, throw the packaging
away and get ready to use them. *Then Bob tells me they're crap.

I didn't say they were crap, just that I don't like them too much. YMMV.

True. To address your original query, the addition of a pair of
cheapo one-size-fits-all meraklon (?)gloves inside the thermastretch
(if there's room) would make them warmer and would cost you less than
a fiver.

David
Old January 10th 08, 05:11 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Bob[_2_]

wrote:

[snipped...]

... To address your original query, the addition of a pair of
cheapo one-size-fits-all meraklon (?)gloves inside the thermastretch
(if there's room) would make them warmer and would cost you less than
a fiver.

There isn't any room unfortunately...

Cheers,

Old January 10th 08, 05:19 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
POHB

On 10 Jan, 16:17, Bob wrote:
Can any one recommend a good glove (or gloves, i.e. inner + outer) for winter commuting...?

I go for layering. Some thick fleecy gloves from the Hawkshead sale,
Altura liners inside if it's really cold (coz I melted the cheap non-
name glove liners I had before on an electric heater), Goretex mits
over them if it's raining really hard, snowing or sleeting.

That way you can add or remove layers when the journey home is
different from the morning.
Old January 10th 08, 05:39 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Duncan Smith

Hello all, I have a pair of Altura Thremastretch gloves and I'm not too
happy with them. The "windproof" fabric, isn't that windproof, and when
it gets a bit nippy, they ain't that warm. Can any one recommend a good
glove (or gloves, i.e. inner + outer) for winter commuting...?

Use ski-ing gloves from a reputable brand, for e.g. Mountain
Equipment. They'll cope with any conditions the UK has to offer..

Regards,

Duncan

Old January 10th 08, 05:52 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Martin Dann

Bob wrote:
Hello all, I have a pair of Altura Thremastretch gloves and I'm not too
happy with them.

TBH, I have never found a pair of winter gloves that I am totally happy
with.

The "windproof" fabric, isn't that windproof, and when
it gets a bit nippy, they ain't that warm. Can any one recommend a good
glove (or gloves, i.e. inner + outer) for winter commuting...?

I think that you do need waterproof gloves in the winter. Wet
non-waterproofs are IMHO almost as bad as not wearing gloves.

There isn't any room unfortunately...

[to wear anything underneath]

Are your gloves too tight, and thus restricting circulation?
Too tight gloves can make your hand feel colder.
Old January 10th 08, 05:59 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Bob[_2_]

Martin Dann wrote:
Bob wrote:
Hello all, I have a pair of Altura Thremastretch gloves and I'm not too
happy with them.

TBH, I have never found a pair of winter gloves that I am totally happy
with.

That's what I'm worried about, I think I could end up owning about four
pairs of gloves for different weather conditions. It would just be a pain
in the arse to cart them everywhere, just in case...

The "windproof" fabric, isn't that windproof, and when
it gets a bit nippy, they ain't that warm. Can any one recommend a good
glove (or gloves, i.e. inner + outer) for winter commuting...?

I think that you do need waterproof gloves in the winter. Wet
non-waterproofs are IMHO almost as bad as not wearing gloves.

If it's mild and not too windy, they are too warm, going for a full
waterproof/ski glove type thing would probably cause my hands to melt.

There isn't any room unfortunately...

[to wear anything underneath]

Are your gloves too tight, and thus restricting circulation?
Too tight gloves can make your hand feel colder.

They're not skin tight or anyting, but anything under then would be
uncomfortable unless it was ultra thin and skin tight.

Cheers,

Best Gloves Ever! DarkTom Unicycling 1 August 3rd 07 02:34 PM
Any MB gloves out there that can double as regular gloves? Joe Mountain Biking 9 May 26th 07 03:16 AM
Looking for the "old" Spenco gloves, not Spenco Ironman gloves xzzy Techniques 2 November 9th 06 06:42 PM
New Gloves Andy Gee General 6 February 7th 06 07:09 PM
gloves Alex General 5 December 4th 03 10:43 PM