Jason McIntyre killed

Old January 15th 08, 06:09 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
wafflycat

Default Jason McIntyre killed

Another champion gone.

http://www.braveheartfund.com/News.asp?Nid=240

http://www.veloriders.co.uk/phpBB2/v...ic.php?t=64663

'accident' involving a 4x4 whilst he was out on a training ride, it seems.

Condolences to his family & friends. A sad loss to cycling in the UK.

Old January 15th 08, 06:45 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
wafflycat

From the Braveheart web site:-

"One of Britain’s leading cyclists was killed today while out training near
his home in Fort William. Jason MacIntyre, a three-time British champion and
Scottish record holder, was training on the A82 road when he was hit by a
vehicle, said to be a council vehicle which overtook him and then turned
into his path. The 34-year old was airlifted from the scene but died on his
way to hospital in Glasgow."

If that is what happened I do hope the driver of the vehicle spends a long,
long time in jail, many years, and never drives a vehicle again. Ever.

Old January 15th 08, 07:35 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
John Clayton

"wafflycat" wrote in message
From the Braveheart web site:-

"One of Britain’s leading cyclists was killed today while out training
near his home in Fort William. Jason MacIntyre, a three-time British
champion and Scottish record holder, was training on the A82 road when he
was hit by a vehicle, said to be a council vehicle which overtook him and
then turned into his path. The 34-year old was airlifted from the scene
but died on his way to hospital in Glasgow."

If that is what happened I do hope the driver of the vehicle spends a
long, long time in jail, many years, and never drives a vehicle again.
Ever.

I've a sad resigned feeling about this. My (uninformed) guess is that a
real difficulty will arise over quality of evidence and the driver may not
even be charged with any offence.
We really do need a great many things to occur before our prospects on UK
roads improve. A start could be;-

1.) A very big, expensive and sustained programme of education directed at
other road users to inform them of our needs and difficulties. I would
personally prefer this area of spending to the Olympic bid costs.
2.) Some way to sanction the, in my view serious problem of disgracefully
anti cyclist "journalism" we have in our gutter press. Heaven knows how
this would come about, but it's a reasonable guess this is not a problem in
Benelux or Germany.
3.) Some serious punishment for what appears to be criminally negligent
driving like this above. Granted our prisons are overflowing, but a
possible start would be to confiscate or crush the instrument of death. If
it happens to be a works, hired or leased vehicle then the ultimate owner
could consider a civil claim against the convicted perpetrator?

Pure whimsey, but justified by my mixture of sadness and anger.

John Clayton
www.calder-clarion.co.uk

Old January 15th 08, 09:33 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
David Martin

On Jan 15, 6:09 pm, "wafflycat"
wrote:
Another champion gone.

http://www.braveheartfund.com/News.asp?Nid=240

http://www.veloriders.co.uk/phpBB2/v...ic.php?t=64663

'accident' involving a 4x4 whilst he was out on a training ride, it seems.

Condolences to his family & friends. A sad loss to cycling in the UK.

This is exceptionally sad, not least because Jason was a nice guy, but
also because he was known to not be a risk taker. There were events
where he refused to ride becasue of the conditions.

He never made it big in the road race scene because he dedicated most
of his time to caring for his disabled daughter. He will be very
sorely missed north of the border.

We heard tonight just as we were gathering for the evening ride. It
was a bit more aggressive than usual - understandably so.

..d
Old January 15th 08, 11:06 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
wafflycat

"David Martin" wrote in message

This is exceptionally sad, not least because Jason was a nice guy, but
also because he was known to not be a risk taker. There were events
where he refused to ride becasue of the conditions.

He never made it big in the road race scene because he dedicated most
of his time to caring for his disabled daughter. He will be very
sorely missed north of the border.

We heard tonight just as we were gathering for the evening ride. It
was a bit more aggressive than usual - understandably so.

..d

He's missed throughout the timetrialling community, be it north or south of
the border. I saw him race a couple of times and he was very, very smooth on
the bike, and fast, so fast. He wasn't an aggressive guy - just incredibly
talented.

Old January 16th 08, 08:17 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
wafflycat

On a brief report of Jason's death on BBC Breakfast this morning, was I
seeing things or did they use a photograph of Graeme Obree as a photo of
Jason?

Old January 16th 08, 08:26 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
wafflycat

"wafflycat" wrote in message
news

On a brief report of Jason's death on BBC Breakfast this morning, was I
seeing things or did they use a photograph of Graeme Obree as a photo of
Jason?

Yes, I did. :-( They have been notified of their error.

Old January 16th 08, 08:35 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
spindrift

On 16 Jan, 08:26, "wafflycat" wrote:
"wafflycat" wrote in message

news

On a brief report of Jason's death on BBC Breakfast this morning, was I
seeing things or did they use a photograph of Graeme Obree as a photo of
Jason?

Yes, I did. :-( They have been notified of their error.

Oh no.

This kind of dangerous overtaking is rife- drivers genuinely forget
about the cyclist once the driver himself is past the cyclist. The
vehicle cuts in and sideswipes the cyclists, or turns left. When you
scream at them they are baffled and amazed that you are there. It
happens at pinch points too- cars scream to overtake then jam the
brakes on level with you, inches away.

This is the reality, presenters "joking" about killing cyclists, peers
of the realm saying assaulting cyclists is the right thing to do, a
driver making a stupid mistake, but it's only a cyclist, wouldn't be
on the telly if the cyclist weren't well known, then show the wrong
photo, any old cyclist photo will do.
Old January 16th 08, 09:25 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
wafflycat

"spindrift" wrote in message

This is the reality, presenters "joking" about killing cyclists, peers
of the realm saying assaulting cyclists is the right thing to do, a
driver making a stupid mistake, but it's only a cyclist, wouldn't be
on the telly if the cyclist weren't well known, then show the wrong
photo, any old cyclist photo will do.

Thinking about it, it may even have been a still from the Flying Scotsman
film, in which case, it may even have been Jonny Lee Miller in his role of
Graeme Obree. But I can't be certain.

Old January 16th 08, 10:09 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
David Hansen

On Wed, 16 Jan 2008 08:26:09 -0000 someone who may be "wafflycat"
wrote this:-

They have been notified of their error.

On the 9am news broadcast Radio 4 implied that the cyclist was
responsible for the crash, by saying that he was in collision with a
motor vehicle. I have made a complaint, though no doubt they will
ignore it in their usual Matthew Parris fashion

--
David Hansen, Edinburgh

Jason McCartney Richard Cheese Racing 1 April 30th 07 03:00 AM
Jason Waddell MagillaGorilla Racing 64 March 28th 05 06:45 PM
Ping: Jason gerblefranklin Unicycling 1 February 3rd 05 02:12 AM
Jason Waddell...PM me Time Cop Racing 4 April 29th 04 04:01 PM