Who stole Spring?

Old June 9th 05, 01:35 PM
Maggie

Default Who stole Spring?

I was actually looking forward to spring this year. With a new found
love of riding, it was going to be wonderful. So what the hell
happened to spring? We went from rain to hot and humid every day.

Last night I tried to go for a ride. It was only around 95 and humid.
Why not? I found out why not, I thought I was going to drop dead. I
almost did drop dead on the dreaded hill.

All of you who cycle through rain, snow, sleet, hail and tropical heat
waves have my respect. You are like the postal workers, "the mail must
go through"....or actors..."the show must go on".

I did not enjoy the ride in the least. I could not wait to get back
home. Call me a wimp, call me a wuss....call me whatever you like.
But cycling in this heat, is "not" something I deal with very well.

Do you actually enjoy biking in the heat and humidity. Is it actually
enjoyable for you? I need to know the answer. It intriques me. Is it
fun or is it a challenge? Is it pushing yourself or is it normal?

When you are given warnings about exercising in this type of heat and
humidity does it keep you from cycling? I am befuddled by you avid
cyclists. I don't have the mentality to ride when it is 96 degrees,
hot, hazy and humid. Am I the oddball? Tell me? (like I don't know
the answer to that..)

I am driving my junk car today without air conditioning, and that's
about as tough as I get. I heard there is no end in sight for our
Spring Heat Wave.

There is something to be said about driving to the gym to ride a
stationary bike in the comfort of air conditioning. I'm going after
work. Wimp is me!!!

No excuses, just plain ain't gonna ride in this heat. Am I banned from
Bikes.Misc?

Maggie

Old June 9th 05, 02:07 PM
Will

Maggie wrote:
I was actually looking forward to spring this year. With a new found
love of riding, it was going to be wonderful. So what the hell
happened to spring? We went from rain to hot and humid every day.

Perhaps the climate is changing... Though a lot of respected scientist
deny this.

Do you actually enjoy biking in the heat and humidity. Is it actually
enjoyable for you? I need to know the answer. It intriques me. Is it
fun or is it a challenge? Is it pushing yourself or is it normal?

After a while, like everthing else, you adjust and it's not so
shocking.
It's mostly mental, remember you came from hot, muggy, Africa, unless
of course you came from somebody's rib on day 5 or 6.

I am driving my junk car today without air conditioning, and that's
about as tough as I get. I heard there is no end in sight for our
Spring Heat Wave.

Last I read, the scientists in the minority were saying 500 or 600
hundred years.

There is something to be said about driving to the gym to ride a
stationary bike in the comfort of air conditioning. I'm going after
work. Wimp is me!!!

You want to get personal and share your lungs with 40 other folks in
recycled air? Get set for the summer cold.

Old June 9th 05, 02:12 PM
dgk

On 9 Jun 2005 05:35:39 -0700, "Maggie"
wrote:

I was actually looking forward to spring this year. With a new found
love of riding, it was going to be wonderful. So what the hell
happened to spring? We went from rain to hot and humid every day.

Last night I tried to go for a ride. It was only around 95 and humid.
Why not? I found out why not, I thought I was going to drop dead. I
almost did drop dead on the dreaded hill.

My morning commute is over before it gets really hot, but the evening
commute is pretty up there. I don't have a problem while moving;
stopping causes a sweat eruption. On the way home there is a park
right on the bike route that has a wonderful set of water sprayers.
One has two poles that shoot streams of water at each other while kids
walk between them. Another shoots streams of water in all directions.
I asked the kids to move aside for a minute and went right through
them. Pedaling away after that was very refreshing. I have to remember
to remove the cell phone next time.

Then I biked over to the Kissena Park Velodrome and watched the really
crazy, I mean skilled, people race around the track. That's hot work.

Since I'm about to buy clipless pedals for the first time, I was
looking at their gear. But they all use road shows, I think I'm going
for the mountain type.
Old June 9th 05, 02:33 PM
Fritz

wrote:

hot, hazy and humid. Am I the oddball? Tell me? (like I don't know
the answer to that..)

I am driving my junk car today without air conditioning, and that's
about as tough as I get. I heard there is no end in sight for our
Spring Heat Wave.

There is something to be said about driving to the gym to ride a
stationary bike in the comfort of air conditioning. I'm going after
work. Wimp is me!!!

No excuses, just plain ain't gonna ride in this heat. Am I banned from
Bikes.Misc?

Maggie

Remember that you are middle aged , way out of shape and not
acclimated to the weather. It will take time for your body and mind
to enjoy cycling in hot and humid conditions.

Old June 9th 05, 02:40 PM
Maggie

Will wrote:
You want to get personal and share your lungs with 40 other folks in
recycled air? Get set for the summer cold.

I actually have an unusual resistance to colds. (Watch, now I will get
a cold.) I have not missed work in about 10 years. Before my present
job I had the same experience with my last job. (and the job prior to
that).

When I was a kid I received an award for not missing one day of grammar
school. I think it also has to do with the fact that my father taught
us that you should never stay home from work or school and he never
babied us. TO SAY THE LEAST...we were definately not babies. Not even
his daughter was babied. We had to tough it out, whatever it was.
Hardcore Construction Worker Daddy. Still working at 85. (no lie)

He received a trip to Hawaii for never missing a day of work in 50
years at his company. They interviewed him on channel 7 news and he was
in the paper. It was stupid because when he returned home, he fell off
the giant craine he operated on the river unloading a barge, and was
out of work 6 weeks. That taught me never to brag about my health.

I will take my chances at the gym. I am more likely to have an
accident, than catch a cold. I have been on crutches quite a few time,
had a rib broken playing volley ball and I have many slings from past
injuries. Also a variety of those big ugly shoes you have to wear when
you hurt your foot. I am a danger to myself when participating in
sports.

Maggie..(hoping that this bragging about health does not come round to
bite her in the ass.)

Old June 9th 05, 02:41 PM
Maggie

Fritz wrote:

Remember that you are middle aged , way out of shape (snip)

Thanks for the reminder Fritz....it made my day.

Maggie

Old June 9th 05, 02:49 PM
Jeff Starr

On 9 Jun 2005 05:35:39 -0700, "Maggie"
wrote:

Snipped various speculation and whining about Spring.

Do you actually enjoy biking in the heat and humidity. Is it actually
enjoyable for you? I need to know the answer. It intriques me. Is it
fun or is it a challenge? Is it pushing yourself or is it normal?

I'm not all that fond of the humidity, but I don't mind the heat. You
just have to drink more water and not over do it. Stop occassionally
in a shaded area and if necessary, shorten the distance.

When you are given warnings about exercising in this type of heat and
humidity does it keep you from cycling? I am befuddled by you avid
cyclists. I don't have the mentality to ride when it is 96 degrees,
hot, hazy and humid.

I have only been bothered by the heat one time, while riding. These
days, I pay attention to my body and once again, drink lots of water.
Oh, and drink early, don't wait until you think you need some water,
that is how I got sick from it.

Am I the oddball? Tell me? (like I don't know
the answer to that..)

Yes, but not for this reason. My guess is that you are not conditioned
enough , exercise wise, to handle those conditions.No sense, making
yourself sick. You could get some lights and ride after the sun goes
down, or I ride early in the day.

I am driving my junk car today without air conditioning, and that's
about as tough as I get. I heard there is no end in sight for our
Spring Heat Wave.

There is something to be said about driving to the gym to ride a
stationary bike in the comfort of air conditioning. I'm going after
work. Wimp is me!!!

Hey, at least you are exercising, that is one in your favor.

No excuses, just plain ain't gonna ride in this heat. Am I banned from
Bikes.Misc?

Not by me, but be careful, word is that you have been on double secret
probation and could be expelled at any time;-)

Maggie

On a side note, I have found my Giro Pneumo helmet to give me some
protection from the sun and with all the vents, it seems to help with
cooling. Not scientific, but earlier this week, I was slowed down, for
no reason, just rolling along a short section of MUP, that I must*
take to get from one parkway system to another. I got passed by a guy
with no shirt or helmet. I picked up the pace and stayed with him, but
not on his rear wheel. I followed him for a half mile, I was not
sweating much, with helmet and sleeveless jersey. This guy was
sweating alot.

I think the helmet and yellow, light weight jersey, were keeping me
cooler. [Do you hear that sound? That's the anti-helmet boys, circling
overhead. "Shoop" I had to duck on that one. Oh oh, they're getting
closer, run, run for your life;-)]

* The only way to avoid it, involves an unpleasnt detour, that I would
rather not ride.

Life is Good!
Jeff
Old June 9th 05, 02:53 PM
Neil Brooks

"Maggie" wrote:

I will take my chances at the gym. I am more likely to have an
accident, than catch a cold. I have been on crutches quite a few time,
had a rib broken playing volley ball and I have many slings from past
injuries. Also a variety of those big ugly shoes you have to wear when
you hurt your foot.

If the worst should happen . . . Manolo Blahnik is making some of
those shoes now.
Old June 9th 05, 03:15 PM
Maggie

Neil Brooks wrote:
"Maggie" wrote:

If the worst should happen . . . Manolo Blahnik is making some of
those shoes now.

ooooooooo....I love Manolos....I just bought the cutest pair of white
Manolo strappy sandals..with a 3 inch heel for summer. They are so
cute. I haven't worn them yet. Thanks for the heads up.

Maggie.

Old June 9th 05, 03:31 PM
Roger Zoul

Maggie wrote:
:: Do you actually enjoy biking in the heat and humidity. Is it actually
:: enjoyable for you? I need to know the answer. It intriques me. Is
:: it fun or is it a challenge? Is it pushing yourself or is it normal?

Hell no. That's why I leave my house slightly before sunrise in the am.
However, I sometimes return home by 2pm when it's burning up. That part is
pushing.

:: There is something to be said about driving to the gym to ride a
:: stationary bike in the comfort of air conditioning. I'm going after
:: work. Wimp is me!!!

Naw...I'd go for a walk instead. I don't want to inhale all the air that
folks are exhaling.

::
:: No excuses, just plain ain't gonna ride in this heat. Am I banned
:: from Bikes.Misc?

Get up eariler. Ride later in the day. You can build up, to a degree i
think, a tolerance to heat and humidity.